Barthheart, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Really glad to get clarification on some of these issues. Just a couple of observations on your information, if I may --
2. In "Unit Base Info," what does "Supply Consumption" (the icon w/ 3 Jerry cans) represent? According to the tooltip, this means "% of supply consumed for optimal functioning." However, from what I can tell, this value is *always* 100 -- ? In what situations would this value *not* be 100?
This is a seeting you can make to have a unit use less supply at the risk of lowering it's effectivenes. It's useful for far rear area units when you need the supplies to go to the front. Clicking on the 100% should change it to 75% - %50 - %25 - %100 in order.
- I'm still confused by this. I understand what you are saying about being able to lower a unit's supply request priority by 100-75-50 %. As you know, this toggle appears in an oval below the "Retreat %" toggle, to the right of the Unit Base Info. icons. But I'm referring to the "Jerrycan" icon for Supply Consumption, which I think must be different. If you lower a unit's supply priority to, say 50% in the 'oval,' the Jerrycan Icon still reads 100. It just seems unnecessary to have an 'icon' for this, if it always reads "100" and never changes. Am I still missing something? In short, what is the relationship between the Supply Consumption Jerrycan icon and the Supply Request toggle?
5. What effect do HQ's *above* Corps level in the OOB have on units/Hq's *below*? I understand that a Corps HQ lends its % bonus to all divisions and units under its command, provided they are within HQ range. However, if an Army HQ has a leader with "75%" bonus... what does this mean for the Corps/units below it? What about Army Group? Theater HQ?
Yes each level of HQ will gives it's bonus to all units below in chain of command as long as they are within range. So Army HQ's give bonuses to all Corps below it etc.
- This makes sense, although a bit surprising to me about the HQ range requirement for HQ's *above* Corps level. I always try to keep my Corps HQs in close range of their divisions to get the 100% general's bonus. But logistically it seems very difficult to keep your Army HQs, and even moreso, your Armygroup and Theatre HQs, within the 8 Hex range of their sub-HQs.
6. Is it a good idea to attach Army-level assets -- for example, an Artillery regiment -- to Corps HQ's in order to get an HQ bonus? I assume it is a good idea to attach reserve infantry divisions to a specific Corps HQ, since Army HQ's and above are likely to be completely out of HQ range. Also, Air units are usually completely out of range of the Theatre-level HQs they are attached to -- is it a good idea to attach them to Army HQ's?
Yes attaching Army level arty to a Corps is a good idea but only if it doesn't reduce the Corps HQ's command %. Same for reserve infantry div. only if it doesn't reduce the HQ %.
- Makes sense, and I agree, although it seems to me that there are many instances where it's preferable to take a hit to a Corps general's % Bonus in order to attach a new division. Reserve divisions are often attached to Army or Armygroup HQs, and for me, they are almost always completely out of range of those high-level HQs. I'd rather give that reserve division to a Corps general who has a little Staff:Troops Ratio to spare (say, 1.20), if it means that division will now be able to get a 100% general's bonus by being within range of the Corps HQ. Of course, 1.20 Ratio is not nearly enough to take on a new division, and the general's % Bonus is now going to drop for all the divisions under his command. But better to have 4 divisions all getting, say, 65% Bonus from their slightly overloaded Corps general, than to have 3 divisions all getting 80% 'full' Bonus and a 4th reserve division getting 0% bonus by virtue of being completely out of range of its parent HQ. (those % numbers are rubbish by the way, just making them up by way of example.)
I guess this is personal preference -- I don't have the hard numbers to back it up! But because it's very rare that a Corps general has enough Staff:Troops Ratio to be able to take on a full division *without* a hit to their % Bonus, it seems an inevitable recourse to me. That said, I have yet to attach a Army- (or above) level Artillery regiment to a Corps HQ if it means it will overload the general's command capacity. Taking a % Bonus hit for a full division seems worth it, but not for a single Arty asset.
Anyway, thanks again! Can't say enough how much I love this game -- and look forward to its continued evolution (and expansion?? I hope!)
@Deerslayer -- the HQ range is 8 hexes, if I'm not mistaken. But easiest way to find out if a unit is within range of its parent HQ: you can find the HQ range by clicking on "Unit Details" tab for the unit, and under "Stats" you will see "HQ Power." If the unit is within 8 hexes of HQ, HQ Power will read 100% (unit is getting full benefit of bonus from that HQ) -- for each hex a unit extends beyond 8 from its parent HQ, HQ Power diminishes by 20% increments, until you get hit HQ Power 0% and that unit no longer gets any bonus from its HQ.
< Message edited by sandman2575 -- 1/4/2012 2:00:19 AM >