Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/28/2011 1:50:56 AM   
sandman2575

I'm hoping to get back into WitE after not having played it for a long stretch. I bought it when it came out end of 2010 and, at the time, spent a lot of time reading the manual, the Operational Boot Camp tutorial, etc. But then (unfortunately) really did not have time to play it for the last 11 months or so....

I'm wondering if anyone can give a quick summary of how WitE has changed with updates (including the recent 1.05 patch) since release version? Are there any *major* differences between the game in its current form and the original release?

Post #: 1
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/28/2011 3:38:37 AM   
Klydon

Yes. Read the patch notes for one.

Some of the highlights:

The Germans are not raped nearly as bad during winter blizzard and there is a more distinct change in German combat power as the winter goes along, changing on the month.

The ability to have a forest of level 3/4 forts is toast. Not only do forts build slower, but require a fortification to be built (spend AP) in order to get past level 2. (Need a fort either in the hex or next to the hex being raised up). Forts also decay much more quickly and it takes combat units to keep them from decaying.

German HQ build up has restrictions now. 20 MP from the rail head is it.

Russian moral actually goes down as you go along in 1941 and reaches a low point during 1942. After that it builds back up.

You can't farm AP points as a Russian any longer in 1941 by putting motor/tank divisions in static and activating them after they become infantry divisions/tank brigades. (can't put units in static in 1941).

Being in contact with the enemy results in attrition being much more meaner. The Russians have to manage this much more closely.

Being in contact with the enemy means refit will not result in a unit being rebuilt. Have to have it out of the line and not next to an enemy unit for it to suck in extra replacements from the benefit of refit.

Have to watch the armaments pool a lot closer now than before for both sides.

Russian costs to move industry have gone up quite a bit.

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 2
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/28/2011 11:11:33 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman2575

I'm hoping to get back into WitE after not having played it for a long stretch. I bought it when it came out end of 2010 and, at the time, spent a lot of time reading the manual, the Operational Boot Camp tutorial, etc. But then (unfortunately) really did not have time to play it for the last 11 months or so....

I'm wondering if anyone can give a quick summary of how WitE has changed with updates (including the recent 1.05 patch) since release version? Are there any *major* differences between the game in its current form and the original release?

2 by 3 dumped 1v1=2v1 after March 1942 which ended the late war Russian run aways.
They also stopped the airfield spamming and improved the air war.

With the above (last post) twicks and these the game is now basicly historical from 1941 to 1943.

Late war issues are still a consern as the German army can still be easly broken in 30 to 40 turns, which leaves allot of turns before May 45.

These issues are being looked into, National moral, retreat losses combat loss ratio's ect ect.

Game is much inproved, but still needs some work.

Best Eastern Front game by far and getting better with each patch.

Pelton

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

Post #: 3
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/28/2011 1:48:41 PM   
ComradeP

There is also a limit to the speed at which morale will be gained if above national morale, so particularly Soviet units will now be weaker in 1942-1943 than they were around release.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 4
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/28/2011 11:07:02 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

There is also a limit to the speed at which morale will be gained if above national morale, so particularly Soviet units will now be weaker in 1942-1943 than they were around release.

CP is right morale is King, probably to much so.

There are differant options on the issue, which will get resolved at some point.

The main point is the game is allot better then it was at release and getting better.

Pelton

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 5
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/29/2011 1:08:19 AM   
sandman2575

Many thanks for the helpful replies --

I know there are always the patch update notes, but for someone who has not been keeping up-to-date, it can often be hard to tell what really significant changes have been made to the game, especially after several big patches.

So, I appreciate the feedback --

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 6
RE: Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? - 12/29/2011 3:28:13 AM   
schmolywar

Wowze, thanks for the heads up regarding the 3/4 level forts!!! That is a very close call as in my GC41 PBEM the germans are 3 hexes away from outer Leningrad!! No wonder they wouldnt go higher than 2.

"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Quick summary of how WitE has evolved since release? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI