Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Improved countries specialization - units defense bonus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Improved countries specialization - units defense bonus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Improved countries specialization - units defense bonus - 12/27/2011 8:29:07 PM   
doomtrader

I was wondering what do you think about giving certain countries bonuses for defense in specific terrain type.

For example: Swiss army better defending in mountains and hills, Poles better defending in swamps, Brits in desert, etc.

What do you think about that? Which countries and what bonuses we might consider?
Post #: 1
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/27/2011 9:41:05 PM   
slaytanic

From the top of my head:

Greece - mountains & hills
Finland - forest
Soviets and Finland - better winter modifier
Italy - worse modifier for everything :-)
USA - better amph modifier
Uk - desert perhaps?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 2
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/27/2011 10:36:07 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I was wondering what do you think about giving certain countries bonuses for defense in specific terrain type.

For example: Swiss army better defending in mountains and hills, Poles better defending in swamps, Brits in desert, etc.

What do you think about that? Which countries and what bonuses we might consider?

Do these bonuses need to be hard coded or can they be done through the editor?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/27/2011 10:41:59 PM   
aspqrz

Actually, this would be a good idea.

A related question ... how much can things be country-specific?

For example, if I wanted to have the same unit type cost *differently* for different countries?

Representing resource or technology problems more than the existing system seems to.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 4
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/27/2011 11:07:56 PM   
Razz

^ This is already modeled in the game.

Each country is unique.
Most of the countries have different cost for the same unit. Many of the units have different combat statistics.

You can see this when play different countries.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 5
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 12:09:16 AM   
doomtrader

As Razz said, many, many statistics are different for different countries.
Also advancing on next levels makes those differences even more visible.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 6
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 1:49:43 AM   
BASB

I would like to see unit type specifics, eg, engineer bonuses, mountain troops, security troops, marines, airborne etc. Bonuses by country is still a bit generic.
Bonuses for attack as well as defence.

< Message edited by BASB -- 12/28/2011 1:51:02 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 3:19:15 AM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

I would like to see unit type specifics, eg, engineer bonuses, mountain troops, security troops, marines, airborne etc. Bonuses by country is still a bit generic.

You make a good point. After all, the Swiss were not the only ones with excellent mountain troops. The Germans and Italians, among others, also had high quality alpine troops. But maybe Doomtrader is thinking in terms of what is less problematic from a programing perspective and that is why he is proposing a generic nation based solution.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 8
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 3:30:51 AM   
bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

^ This is already modeled in the game.

Each country is unique.
Most of the countries have different cost for the same unit. Many of the units have different combat statistics.

You can see this when play different countries.

But what does it all mean Razz?Are you talking about build costs and strengths?

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 9
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 3:42:45 AM   
Razz

For Example:
Soviet Union has different cost for units
Movement is different
The type of quantity of units that it will build
Commanders range is reduced

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 10
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 5:49:23 AM   
aspqrz

That sort of thing would be good ... if the engine can handle it

Phil

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 11
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 8:26:15 AM   
slaytanic

Can you give country-specific attack modifiers? It might be cool to give Germany a higher advantage when using its panzers against enemy infantry.

But once again, giving us the option of changing UNIT TYPE specific modifiers would be awesome. A modder can then create alpine troops, city garrisons, engies, anti tank etc.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 12
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 9:27:12 AM   
Grimnirsson

I would love to see these things added, yep

(in reply to slaytanic)
Post #: 13
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 4:01:12 PM   
Razz

Germany already has better attack ratings.

All of the above that I have mentioned, is already in the game.

< Message edited by Razz -- 12/28/2011 8:15:05 PM >

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 14
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 6:03:36 PM   
bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

I thought the game is mostly abstraction.Are there engineers or mountain troops?

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 15
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 12/28/2011 6:34:37 PM   
doomtrader

I think that Razz has refereed that everything he has mention above is included in the game.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 16
RE: Improved countries specialization - units defense b... - 2/19/2012 9:33:01 PM   
LiquidSky

All the game parameters are kept in the const.ini file

These can be overridden for each nation in the consts_Germany.ini, consts_France.ini etc. files

So you can even change things like the combat tables, aircraft ranges, combat strengths, costs, suppy effects ...in short.... EVERYTHING!

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Improved countries specialization - units defense bonus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI