Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ATG or Panzer Corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> ATG or Panzer Corps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 6:04:29 PM   
djscamper

Hi All,

New to the forums, but not to wargames. I play table top wargames such as Conflict of Heroes (would love to be in the beta), Combat Commander, Columbia Block Games, and a few other wargames here and there (currently loving Maria).

So, my question is: Should I get Advanced Tactics Golds or Panzer Corps. Both seem very interesting and a bit different from each other. I probably only have time to pick up and learn one.

I am playing Distant Worlds with all expansions currently (along with Saints Row 3 and a few other indie titles).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have also considered Battle Academy as well.

Regards,
Hank
Post #: 1
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 8:36:28 PM   
nim8or

Welcome to the forums, djscamper. Both are fine games, it is hard to go wrong with either selection. My preference would be Advanced Tactics Gold, if for no other reason than the exceptional editor and mod support. The possibilities are nearly endless and you have a very good core game to play from the start. Panzer Corps is polish a-plenty, but doesn't add all that much when compared with the likes of Open General, which is freely available via the web. The third game you mentioned, Battle Academy would be a good choice if you wanted something different, though I still favor ATG for reasons mentioned above.

Best of luck and have fun out there!

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to djscamper)
Post #: 2
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 8:41:20 PM   
sabre1

Panzer Corps. Easy to learn, and easy to pickup when you haven't played for awhile. It has a great system for choosing difficulty levels and good tutorial. There is going to be lots of DLC that will help defray the cost of keeping the game up to date and fresh. I'm just a big kid, and like pushing around toy soldiers in the sandbox.

ATG, is a good game with TONS of scenarios. My only major complaints are the tutorial is lousy, and there is way to much micro management, and some issues with oil, but that is why we have choices in games.

You might look at Warsaw to Paris. It has a newer UI, that might be easier to deal with, but I don't own that game.

I have ATG, and I don't find myself playing it much, but I'm sure LarryP will completely disagree with me.

(in reply to djscamper)
Post #: 3
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 9:58:46 PM   
djscamper

Thanks for the input. I am leaning to PC even if only for the easier to pick up aspect and the fact that it is on sale at the moment.

Tough call really.

Nice to have those types of problems.

< Message edited by djscamper -- 12/27/2011 10:55:22 PM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 4
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 11:32:05 PM   
**budd**

give the Battle Academy demo a try... simple, easy to play and can come back and jump right in after not playing awhile. The multi player gets rave reviews. It reminds me of kinda a steel panthers lite.
There all solid choices... if there's demo's try them out first.
budd

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to djscamper)
Post #: 5
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/27/2011 11:39:10 PM   
bairdlander

neither

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 6
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/28/2011 12:33:21 PM   
wodin

Going by the boardgames you play I'd suggest either Decisive campaigns Warsaw to Paris or maybe Squad Battles game by HPS or wait for the Conflict of heroes conversion.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 7
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/28/2011 12:52:51 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

neither

Neither?

I'd say both!

I played ATG to the death, literally every day since it was released. Maybe it has some "micromanagement" but that also means you can make any unit you want when and where-ever you want. It allows stacking and has stacking rules, so that's a big plus in my book. ATG is much more about movement and counterattacking than PC. Having said that, PC is also a nice well received game. Easy, simple, lots of fun, but it also has some issues like a well trained three star unit can be wiped out in one turn.
So yeah both are nice games but ATG is deeper and IMHO gives more "strategic satisfaction".

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 8
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/28/2011 3:31:37 PM   
wodin

Actaully if you want asimple game thats fun and fits in with the scale of the baordgames you play I'd go for Battlefield Academy over Panzer Corps

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
RE: ATG or Panzer Corps - 12/29/2011 8:33:07 PM   
djscamper

I ended up going with BA and the two expansions. So far, it is exactly what I wanted. Also, one of my friends ended up having a copy as well, so that makes mp even more interesting.

Thanks for all the suggestions (except for the neither :P )!

-Hank

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> ATG or Panzer Corps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll