Routed Soviet units

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

AFV

Routed Soviet units

Post by AFV »

What is the best way to handle routed Soviet units? Is it best to avoid getting adjacent to them, and isolate them? Or do the losses they suffer (if they do) when you move adjacent worth it? Or is there nothing to be gained by avoiding them, isolating them, and moving adjacent the next turn?
Mentor

RE: Routed Soviet units

Post by Mentor »

My interpretation of the displacement rule for a routed unit is that the unit will not suffer any further losses from the displacement.  This rule appears to be place to counter the turn-based issue that comes up, in that a unit would rout to safety, not to a location that is "simultaneously" being overrun by another enemy unit.  The game thus displaces the routed unit automatically from a location that it incorrectly chose as a safe one, to an alternative location.  This is not a true displacement in the way that a HQ or airfield displaces.

As such, and if I am right, it is generally better to avoid displacing these units.  It is better to attempt to pocket them for destruction the following turn, provided that your goal is to damage the opponent's forces.  If your goal is territorial, then displacing the unit to a different locale might be a better option.
AFV

Post by AFV »

Thanks- sounds reasonable,
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

A unit performing a displacement move takes retreat attrition, and then will displace
GBS

Post by GBS »

Who am I to say but my understanding is that the routed units are scattered to the wind and not actually in the hex where their "routed" counter is located but rather that is the hex that the unit will reform in a few turns later. So to me if i move next to the routed unit counter the location of where it reforms is moved not the actual men equipment etc.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Toidi

Post by Toidi »

I checked today and I am with Hermann: units do take attrition upon further displacement (see the total losses in a turn before and after displacement and you will see it). It is better, however, to encircle them and get adjacent to them next turn - if they are not HQ, they will shatter instead of displacing, which is much preferable. Again, shattering can only be noticed when you check the losses screen...
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

sorry i forgot quotes my comment was quoted from the manual

Return to “The War Room”