Matrix Games Forums

Ageod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/25/2011 11:28:02 PM   
Marquo

What to do with the multitude of Soviet brigades which arrive during the fall and winter?

1. TD loves to use them to dig in and form second and third lines.
2. Another use is to build corps cheaper ie 2 divisions and one brigade.
3. Well, I am in the second turn of the Blizzard Offensive and we know that the Soviet losses come with a price: many unready units as the TOE slips down to < 60 - 65%. This is a real detriment to sustaining the offensive and inflicting maximum damage to the Wehrmacht. However, I have have started to feed the brigades directly into unready divisions on the frontline and it works like a charm. The additional 2 - 4,000 men instantly boosts a spent, unready unit into a revitalized killer bee. Okay, I may need to spend some APs to build brigades later on, but the first blizzard is too good of an opportunity to wreck the Wehrmacht. This creates Shock Armies on methamphetamine.

Marquo

< Message edited by Marquo -- 12/25/2011 11:29:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 12:12:47 AM   
smokindave34

I've faced the same dilema and have held off on merging these brigades with my unready divisions thinking that it will be cheaper in the long run to use them to form corps. However it is tempting to merge them and continue the fight - and if nothing else it cleans up the glut of Soviet brigades cluttering up my map! Good question - I'm interested to hear how some other Soviets commaders have used these units.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 2:00:13 AM   
TulliusDetritus

I won't use them again as diggers, Marquo. They were digging since the beginning of the blizzard and then some more turns... The fort levels were still zero They are only good to avoid the degradation of forts.

edit: anyway, I suggested a possible alternative, which I mentioned on my AAR, which you can't read unless you want to step on a crazy mine

Like 15 or 20 rifle divisions could be saved during the blizzard and build these defensive lines. Once you get a level 2 brigades occupy these positions and the divisions dig in next place. Not sure I would be doing that as I prefer to trash the enemy units with the divisions. But it's a possibility if you want defensive lines. Fortified Regions are out of question: too expensive.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/26/2011 2:04:18 AM >

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 2:47:47 AM   
Marquo

"edit: anyway, I suggested a possible alternative, which I mentioned on my AAR, which you can't read unless you want to step on a crazy mine "

I still have all my limbs; is there another use not yet mentioned?

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 7:19:30 AM   
Schmart

I hang on to most of the Naval Brigades which can't be merged (I don't know why WitE did that because historically Naval Brigades WERE used to re-build Rifle Divisions...) to hold the Finnish front and to use as diggers (well, more acurately fort maintainers as they don't dig very well). Other than that, I turn off refit, set them to 50% TOE so they don't soak up too many replacements, and merge them with burnt out Rifle Divisions as needed. By the spring of 1942, I have very few Rifle Brigades left.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 1:52:30 PM   
Marquo

To my surprise my naval brigades are are merging with depleted infantry divisions. I will reverify this soon.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 4:40:15 PM   
Fänrik Stål

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

To my surprise my naval brigades are are merging with depleted infantry divisions. I will reverify this soon.

There are two different types of naval brigades; infantry and rifle. The ones that merge are probably rifle ones.

"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 4:46:50 PM   
Baelfiin

They do merge just like other brigades

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine - 12/26/2011 6:49:58 PM   
Klydon

With the changes to the border regiments and another little thing that happen to me (will get to that in a minute), I like using naval brigades for the Finish border. Any excess, I get rid of since naval brigades can't be used to form larger units.

I found out the hard way (to a point) that the attrition is so bad on the border regiments, they started not only going unready, but get to depleted level and rout away from the border, so I had to rush some units up there to relieve them and let them get replacements in. Naval brigades are bigger and more sturdy, so using them along the border is better and having an extra or two allows me to switch out units periodically in order to bring them back up to strength.

I prefer to keep most of my rifle brigades intact to help form up corps on the cheap and also provide another wave of infantry divisions after you can combine them. I agree with TD that another use is to keep forts from decaying. This typically comes into play from the start of the winter offensive to when the Germans launch their offensive in the snow/early spring.

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Brigades and Shock Armies on methamphetamine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI