Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Names need work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Names need work Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Names need work - 12/25/2011 7:32:01 PM   
2ndACR

Okay, love the game but you need to work on the planet names. This is unedited and just colonized. LOL

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 8:09:07 PM   
Litjan

This planet should have a REALLY low colony development modifier...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 2
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 8:13:53 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

lmao, really?

Can Poland Into Space?

(in reply to Litjan)
Post #: 3
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 8:17:20 PM   
ASHBERY76

Too much wine?

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 4
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 8:52:19 PM   
2ndACR

I have a save right after it was colonized. And yes, this was game generated. I have never even looked at the editor.

I saw it pop up as colonized and was like "no way, I am seeing things". LOL

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 8:55:29 PM   
ASHBERY76

The game systems.txt has no ****.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 9:13:44 PM   
Nedrear

Ashberry the Moons of planets - in contrast to main system planets - are not named after the system. E.G. don't get the Kapala Minor 1... 2...3 numbers.

But you are right. That seems modded as he shows a main sequence planet. It should be called XY 1-5.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 12/25/2011 9:14:41 PM >

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: Names need work - 12/25/2011 9:42:09 PM   
2ndACR

Nope, not modded. Not sure how to prove it. It is in my home Sol system.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 8
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 5:21:02 AM   
tjhkkr

Not modded? That seems hard to believe.
And if it was an easter egg, I am not sure that anyone would risk their job over it...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 5:35:58 AM   
Nedrear

At least cut out your upper newsletter. Even that states your main colony in Sol is named Sol 4... which you are in right now.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 10
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 6:16:07 AM   
2ndACR

Guys, I have been around a long time and have never done one of the joke posts. This is for real. This was really named this by the computer all on it's own.

Like I said above, I wish I could prove it was real. At least WITP will tell you when something has been modded. I have never opened the editor. Never.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 11
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 6:31:09 AM   
Nedrear

Since that is the case - as you claim - why aren't you posting it in the tech thread, claiming it to be a mistake. After that ask Elliot if the moon table - which players can't edit - for the names got a **** inside and if by some mistake main sequence planets can get it.

Otherwise we WILL take it as a joke further on.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 2:21:53 PM   
WoodMan

Its a moon, the news above says **** has been colonized, so it was called **** before he colonized it.  If you look at the minimap the red dot is a gas giant, this colony is a moon around the gas giant.

I think in the past I had a moon named something like Crap or Crud, I did post it here in the forums at the time. Never seen anything like it since though.

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 12/26/2011 2:22:51 PM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 13
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 3:19:50 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
Its a moon, the news above says **** has been colonized, so it was called **** before he colonized it.  If you look at the minimap the red dot is a gas giant, this colony is a moon around the gas giant.
I think in the past I had a moon named something like Crap or Crud, I did post it here in the forums at the time. Never seen anything like it since though.

In that case, I would really like to be able to edit out the moon table...
BUT...

Did not Elliot say in this current version that all the planets and moons would follow a more traditional standard... or did he only mean planets?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 14
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 5:11:58 PM   
Nedrear

Woodman depending on the resolution of units on the "map" it is in 50% star system range. Therefore the distance between red dot and your so called "two moons" including **** and the rock is a little high. That's a normal distance of main sequence planets.
If he wants to prove it to be a moon he simply needs to click on it while screenshoting and we can read "swamp moon". If it is one that is. Further you can edit and change planet names prior to colonization... I did it often enough.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 15
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 6:14:00 PM   
2ndACR

Here is your screenshot.

But Nedrear, your tone needs to change. I have been around since the old AOW days, so I have no problems getting ugly. I am not a modder, never looked at the editor. I refrain from getting ugly now a days on Matrix, but I could care less what you think because you are not a member of Matrix or as far as I know Codeforce.

I thought it was funny because my 9 year old nephew was sitting in my lap when it popped up and the first thing he said was "it said a bad word".

And actually, only after I posted did I notice it was not in the support forum. But I know Erik from Matrix runs thru the recent posts so had no worries.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 16
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 6:23:21 PM   
tjhkkr

I thought it was funny because my 9 year old nephew was sitting in my lap when it popped up and the first thing he said was "it said a bad word".
Yeah, I could see that being both funny and sad at the same time...

Wow, there really is a moon with that name...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 17
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 6:47:12 PM   
2ndACR

I see moons with names all the time. Sometimes they are names and other times they are XYZ123.

But from looking at the way names are spelled in this game, I suspect it is a random generator that just puts letters together and not a list per se.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 18
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 7:30:36 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR
I see moons with names all the time. Sometimes they are names and other times they are XYZ123.
But from looking at the way names are spelled in this game, I suspect it is a random generator that just puts letters together and not a list per se.

Could be.
I seem to remember moons though having coherent names... but yes, it could be that he is pulling from some random or perhaps some random disk string.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 19
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 7:35:10 PM   
Ares106

Is there a way that OP could post the first save before the game started.

As long as he didn't edit anything from the start there should be a way to tell if the save has not been modified by the edditor.

Anyway i had a blast reading this thread wether it's true or not. But wish some people didn't take it so seriousely.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 20
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 8:33:09 PM   
2ndACR

Not sure if I have the first save. I have started a few games since then. But nothing was modded, and I grabbed a save right after colonization. There were a few auto saves before colonization. I never noticed the name until the moment it was colonized and my nephew pointed it out to me.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 21
RE: Names need work - 12/26/2011 10:33:23 PM   
Howard Mitchell

When playing RotS about a year ago (?) I found a planet full of Teekan. It was called 'Arse'. Appropriate really as it was at the back of beyond in the Galaxy.

I can't remember exactly which patch version of the game I was running, but I always play vanilla and don't use the editor except occasionally to remove the endless debris fleets. I didn't take a screen print of it but assumed that it was bored coders typing in test data quickly and then forgetting to remove it. There was a case a few years back where a phone directory was published with Donald Duck and a few other Disney charatcers in it as they'd forgotten to purge their system of test data before publishing.

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 22
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 2:58:26 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

For all concerned.....so this doesn't get all out of hand!

From my testing notes back in DW:ROTS version 1.5, there was a bug reported where on occasion
moon and planet names were getting mixed, duplicated in the same system, etcetera. Elliot put
a fix in that dealt with those issues. IIRC, there is a random generator dealing with names of
moons, and I also believe asteroid belts and debris field names as well. It is possible that in
the transition to Legends, some of the 'naughty words' lockout subroutine was not re-implemented
(I'm using speculation here people, but it's feasible).

I'll ask Elliot or Erik to revisit this when they return from vacation and if this is the case
I'm sure that they'll deal with it in the next update. Sorry your nephew had to see that 2ndACR.
I'm sure Matrix certainly doesn't want that, or other bad words 'popping up' as a moons' name
during a PC mag critics' review or something. Let's just all have the holiday spirit and keep
the flames in our festive fireplaces!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 23
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 4:08:25 AM   
2ndACR

No problem and thank you. I don't worry about him seeing it, his parents let him play GTA for gosh sakes.

I just thought I would let you all know what I/he saw.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 24
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 6:53:29 AM   
LoBaron

Nice find 2ndACR.

In general I would prefer changing the moon naming to something like Sol 4 A, Sol 4 B and so on.

I am aware this does not reflect the current habit of naming moons after Greek gods, but since
we will still need a couple of decades until we have the ability to discover moons outside our solar system
I am fine with it.

It is always annoying if youre looking for a colony which happens to be a moon, and so forces you to
use all possible kinds of tools to locate it, because the name is not related to the homesystem.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 12/27/2011 6:57:13 AM >

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 25
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 7:08:14 AM   
Nedrear

We named our planets after our greek gods... not the moons. We don't have enough gods for all planetoids and satellites.
Just taking Jupiter you got 62 moons... in that regard the moon count in DW is a little small. Most likely a World Destroyer cleaned up a little.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 26
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 7:28:14 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

We named our planets after our greek gods... not the moons. We don't have enough gods for all planetoids and satellites.
Just taking Jupiter you got 62 moons... in that regard the moon count in DW is a little small. Most likely a World Destroyer cleaned up a little.

Nope. Planets = Roman gods. Moons = Greek gods.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 27
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 7:39:45 AM   
LoBaron

Or to be more specific, Planets = Roman gods (Iupiter, Mars, Venus,...)
Moons = Figures from Greek mythology, or Greek half-gods (Europa, Titan, Phobos, Deimos,...)

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 12/27/2011 7:40:00 AM >

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 28
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 7:39:48 AM   
Nedrear

As fate wants it, most of the roman gods are the greek gods they adapted before and after conquering them. They don't call one moon Zeus, because the planet Jupiter already exists. They don't use the same good in two languages.
Even if they did, it still can't account for all 145 planetoids of our solar system.

Titan, Rhea, Iapetus, Dione, Tethys, Enceladus, Mimas, Hyperion, Prometheus, Pandora, Phoebe, Janus, Epimetheus, Helene, Telesto, Calypso, Atlas, Pan, Ymir, Paaliaq, Siarnaq, Tarvos, Kiviuq, Ijiraq, Thrym, Skadi, Mundilfari, Erriapo, Albiorix, Suttung...

to name some Jupiter moons. They are in many parts from greek mythology like Calypso, Pandora or the Titans Atlas and Prometheus... or from Nord mythologie like Ymir... so yes they are religious or fantastic. In the end they are not one mythology though.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 29
RE: Names need work - 12/27/2011 7:53:39 AM   
LoBaron

Agreed, moons, dwarf planets and ateroids are too numerous to limit yourself to
one type of mythological creatures only. Not really important anyway.

Important is that I don´t like the way you lose overview on your moons´ whereabouts
by giving them names not related to their system. Call em [System Name][Planet Orbit#][A,B,C,D,...]
and you need a couple of mouseklicks less.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Names need work Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI