Multiplayer PBEM?

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xTom, 2xPelin

toddtreadway

Multiplayer PBEM?

Post by toddtreadway »

Is there no PBEM multiplayer feature? All I can see is hotseat and online (I assume both players play at the same time).

It seems like this game would be perfect for PBEM, implimented similarly to Fields of Glory (do your turn and then the server notifies your opponent it is his turn).
demyansk

RE: Multiplayer PBEM?

Post by demyansk »

I think its only multi player no pbem
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

I really love this game. Wouldn't a PBEM feature add immensely to replayability?
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Yeah!!!! What toddtreadway says....no PBEM....no sale. This game design cries out for PBEM, that's how I play most of the time, AIs are always predictable in the long run.

2X2, surely you recognize this.[&:]
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Well, I don't know about no PBEM no sale, since I really like the game regardless, but it would make it a lot more replayable. Sitting and waiting for an opponent to do a turn is kind of a waste of time. PBEM is a much better way to do multiplayer in games of this type, in my opinion.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I agree
2xTom

Post by 2xTom »

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway
Sitting and waiting for an opponent to do a turn is kind of a waste of time.

You don't have to wait. Once you've completed your turn you're free to disconnect: either to play something else or close the game entirely. When you want to return to the game, go to "Connect to game" and just enter the game code and whether you're P1 or P2.

The game is waiting for you on the server. You can replay the opponent turn by going to history mode (Menu -> History Mode).

This works exactly like PBEM except that the game is always sitting on the server instead of being sent over email. Please make sure both players applied 1.01 patch though, as it fixes a serious bug in the networking code.
Tomislav Uzelac
Unity of Command Lead Developer
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

That is great news! I am going to give it a shot.
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

Is there a way to use the MP with dropbox so to get an automated info on receiving a new turn?
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

yes, i thought you couldn't play email but you can
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

What does 'yes' mean? Yes, you can play PbEM (stating the obvious) or yes you can use dropbox (then how?)

Thanks
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

you can play back and forth, you don't actually send the file, when the next person plays they use the code, so send each other a email with the code to elt them know to play if I remember correctly
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

Ok, let me rephrase my question then...is there any notification possibility other than sending the opponent an email that it's now their turn? Battle Acadamy is also played via Slitherine servers and there's a little tool that actually notifies the players about who's turn it is now. The server also is sending out automated emails...this sending emails after each turn is a bit unwieldy so to say.
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

The Generals HQ players play many titles like EiA, ATG and many others have a look join and have fun
The Generals HQ

Return to “Unity of Command Series”