Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting from scratch/zero/nada

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Starting from scratch/zero/nada Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:10:29 AM   
nukkxx

Hi, I would like to start a new game from absolutely nothing. I'd like just one colony and nothing already built. Unfortunately, when creating a new game it starts with 3 construction ships [STATE], mining stations, exploration ship [STATE] etc.. Is it possible to tart from absolute scratch ?

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 12/23/2011 11:13:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:20:59 AM   
adecoy95

you cant, the game physically cannot function without the ability to use your civilian ships to go get the resources you need to power and construct your ships.

but if you want to try it (you might get lucky i suppose), the game editor is your best bet, it should be able to delete things.

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 2
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:27:36 AM   
Nedrear

Wrong if you open the editor and delete everything you still got the starting ressource since the planet shares the store with the station. Therefore you can then start to build a space statio by planet effort and building ships and start form there. But since you build much at start, you quickly need to find carbon fibre and polymer. They will drain quicker...

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 3
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:35:18 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Wrong if you open the editor and delete everything you still got the starting ressource since the planet shares the store with the station. Therefore you can then start to build a space statio by planet effort and building ships and start form there. But since you build much at start, you quickly need to find carbon fibre and polymer. They will drain quicker...

note he also said delete his mining stations. if you play a race that needs those stations for steel, your in big trouble

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 4
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:37:12 AM   
nukkxx

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

quote:

note he also said delete his mining stations. if you play a race that needs those stations for steel, your in big trouble

Yes but it should be for all empires in the game so that we all start equal from scratch.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 5
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 11:39:40 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

quote:

Yes but it should be for all empires in the game so that we all start equal from scratch.

this would probably be a really boring game, i don't think the AI would be able to handle all of its stuff getting deleted.

BUT, now that you know how, give it a try, let us know how it turns out?

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 12/23/2011 11:41:47 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 6
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 12:56:02 PM   
RisingSun

You can, but its depend on your popluation, income and resources. I cant say what the formlua is, but the AIs is rather silly. If you are making new colony of your own without any ships or bases (included mines) your population should be 1,500m at the minimum and planet quality higher than 50%. The starport must be built before any civilian ships can be constructed.

I did the samn thing as well, random game til i happy with starting location of my system map, usually on the far bottom right hand corner. Then, i goto editor and renamed the system as i wishes. I also deleted all the ships and bases and leave the planet as it is, beside if you alter the planet, you will get glitch for culture or development rating, it wont accept the input you enter. Then i save the game, alter the prototype for all ships (deleted them all) and make my own.

There no point having so many freighters at the beginning, included passenger ships. Start small then work you way up, if you colonize another planet, it will add more civilian ships included passengers. The more mines you make also increases the freighter outputs.

Good luck whatever you are doing :)

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 12/23/2011 1:03:48 PM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 7
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 2:50:54 PM   
nukkxx

The problem is that I have no idea how the editor works and I am not very keen to spend time learning it ...  

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 8
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 2:59:02 PM   
Nedrear

Erase part to erase and add part for adding. The editor is so simple a 10-year old can manage it. Sadly it is limited in that regard too.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 9
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 3:31:48 PM   
nukkxx

quote:

Erase part to erase and add part for adding. The editor is so simple a 10-year old can manage it. Sadly it is limited in that regard too.

Oh ho ... I will certainly have a look. Was used to over-complex-rocket-science-C++-geeks editors ...

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 10
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 3:51:53 PM   
jalapen0

A pre-warp start would be pretty cool. Game would need some work to make it possible though. Perhaps very small amounts of needed resources on the home planet would help. Enough to matter when starting out, but once your empire is bigger, it won't be enough to help.

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 11
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 4:09:47 PM   
nukkxx

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

A pre-warp start would be pretty cool.

Sure ! It's my dream ...

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 12
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/23/2011 4:18:05 PM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

A pre-warp start...

Sadly impossible, since the game DEMANDS a hyperdrive to be installed.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 13
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 5:00:22 AM   
nukkxx

So back to my concern. What is the exact procedure?

1- create a regular game
2- at the very begining pause the game and open the editor screen.
3- Delete everything
4- release the pause and play

Is that the correct procedure ?

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 14
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 5:55:49 AM   
cookie monster

The editor is very simple.

Use the eraser function till you are happy.

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 15
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 6:09:43 AM   
nukkxx

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Should I do that for all empires (I have 12 empires) ? And this will reveal me the location of all of them.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 16
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 2:50:15 PM   
jalapen0

Yea a prewarp start would have to be a dev added feature, not a modded added one.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 17
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 4:20:10 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

quote:

Should I do that for all empires (I have 12 empires) ? And this will reveal me the location of all of them.

Becareful deleting the empires or they will never work correctly, first thing is when you working on this specific empire or faction, have a starting place where you want them and make it a capitol then delete the previous one. I done this few times and didnt work out right, so this only way to make it work.

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 18
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/24/2011 11:41:12 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

quote:

You will know obviously, but they will not be 'explored' in game and any trace of them will disappear shortly. It can take a little while for their spheres of influence to stop showing on the map(s). Seeing as they are not explored you will not be able to do diplomacy with them or trade, etc. Just try your best not to use the foreknowledge to your advantage.

(Alternatively you could go through and give all empires exploration knowledge of everybodys start location but I think this breaks the theme you want to work with.)

p.s. If you do end up playing a game like this let us know how it pans out (especially the start). Sounds like something I might like to try sometime.

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 12/24/2011 11:45:09 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 19
RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada - 12/25/2011 7:13:41 AM   
nukkxx

With 12 Empires there are too many items to delete. I alreday erased 2 planets by mistake and didn't find a undo button ! I'm afraid I will have to wait that a kind modder will prepare (and test) this "blank sheet" :-) 

Regarding pre-warp start I will post in the master wishlist. :-)

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Starting from scratch/zero/nada Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI