Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Boost in Patch??????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Russian Boost in Patch?????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/22/2011 10:10:47 PM   
IdahoNYer

PBEM campaign is now in August of 1944 when we updated to the latest patch. Have been updating as we go.

Since we patched last week, we've played two turns. Both Scar and I think that "something changed" with the patch - the Soviets are doing better! Specifically getting less losses in combat - either in victory or defeat, especially when attacking against fortifications. The loss ratios seemed to have changed signifiantly.

In the screen shot example shows the combats from last turn. First and last examples are, in my mind, the most telling. In the first example, the Soviets attempted a deliberate attack against a rested defender, in rough, in level 4 fort, behind a major river (The Dniepr). Germans held. Look at the loss ratios. Just about 2-1. Previous "held", especially against a fortified position, have given anywhere from probably a 3-1 or better in favor of the Germans - Soviets should have suffered massive casualties here, and didn't.

Second example that struck me as "different" is the last one. Soviets have been trying to attack my fortified line SE of Leningrad for the last 6 months or so. Its been a slow, but steady grind. Most attacks against Level 3 and 4 forts have been held with massive Soviet loss. When progress is made, maybe once a month or so, the position is taken with severe Soviet losses. The example shows a successful attack, and barely a 1-1 loss ratio! OK, luck perhaps...well this was the second turn in a row the Soviets have taken a level 4 fort with similar loss ratios! That hasn't happened in 6+months of attacks! Defenders were well rested and pretty good morale for 1944 by the way.

So, my question to the guys in the know - was anything deliberately changed in the last patch to reduce the loss ratio difference in attacking fortified positions or have the Russians got a "late war boost" or something else??

Scar, feel free to chime in here....

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/22/2011 10:12:27 PM   
Flaviusx

National morale in 1944 is sky high now, especially with all the various bonuses. On the flip side, 1942 sucks for the Sovs. So the highs are higher and the lows lower.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/22/2011 10:21:39 PM   
JAMiAM

Sounds like a case of manic depression...

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/22/2011 11:13:47 PM   
IdahoNYer

So nothing's changed, and its just depression of '44?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/22/2011 11:18:08 PM   
Q-Ball

Maybe it's just 1944. It's time to start picking out draperies for your Fuhrerbunker.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/23/2011 12:16:35 AM   
Joel Billings

I can't think of anything that's changed that would have immediate impact. When you say you have patched as you go, have you been using the beta patches, or just the official updates?

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/23/2011 3:25:22 AM   
IdahoNYer

Beta patches and the most recent official patch

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Boost in Patch?????? - 12/24/2011 6:56:28 AM   
Scar23

I am the Soviet player in the game IdahoNyer is talking about, and there has been a drastic change in the losses I am experiancing from assaulting the fortifications. This change came about virtually in one turn. Its definately not my troops gaining experaince, and finally becoming worldbeaters, as they have been decimated by losses earlier taking on the German forts.

I will say that the game since 1942 has really felt more like a WWI game, its sending the boys over the top, if I gain a level 3 or 4 position, its a success, even if I lose 6-7k of men. But, with these new improved Soviets, I can plod forward and lose 1-1 or 2-1...

I am not sure how far the game was tested, as it has taken months for us to reach the point we are at playing at a good clip, but I am not sure the simulation is behaving as it should. For the Soviets (and the Germans complained about this in early '42) the entrenchments are too numnerous, too difficult to get through as far as losses go, and the artillary and air advantages I have are not telling. I am short guns, but have thousands of tanks in the pools, I have more planes than I could ever use, but can get enough rocket launchers to field my rocket BN's, I have 1200 or so sapper squads in the pools, but they won't feed out to the units.... The production systee just feels off, especially with plentiful stored equipment not making it out to the troops in the field, I could go on...but I will try and wait until we finish the game, from start to end, before giving my impressions in total.

Scar

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Russian Boost in Patch?????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI