Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small, Medium, Large Freighters???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 7:47:26 PM   
feelotraveller

For the private sector Freighters are broken up into three designs, small, medium and large - based on cargo carrying capacity. But the computer does not seem to use these different classes appropriately, or worse it repeatedly misuses them.

After watching my freighters over many games I have noticed an annoying trend. Whenever a new base is finished and a small amount of fuel needs to be taken out to fill its fuel cells the computer nearly always allocates a large freighter to do so. On the rare occasion when it has not been a large freighter it has been a medium freighter. On the other hand when a new colony/spaceport is started the computer has a tendency to use small freighters to carry the myriad goods required.

Anybody else seeing this? I'm wondering if it's part of the freighter problem...
Post #: 1
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 7:53:17 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

I've noticed this as well. So yea it's quite annoying...

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 2
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 9:27:08 PM   
Gandalf

Until this is fixed, I wonder if it would be more efficient to just redefine/redesign all freighters to be equivalent to a medium freighter?

(in reply to RaffleSnaffle)
Post #: 3
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 9:49:52 PM   
2ndACR

That is what I do. Basically all the freighters have the same carry capacity and fuel range. 

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 4
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 10:12:31 PM   
balto

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

That is what I do. Basically all the freighters have the same carry capacity and fuel range. 

2ndACR, that is interesting. Are you saying that you OBSOLETE the large and small freighters, thus leaving only the medium freighters? I think that is what you are saying. That is something to think about and would cut down on micro-managing when designing just one freighter.

I already only have two designs for military ships. Having just one design for freighters would sure make things go smoother.

Do you use all mediums or all large freighters?

< Message edited by balto -- 12/22/2011 10:14:48 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 10:25:52 PM   
2ndACR

Nope, I just add cargo space etc until all are basically medium or large freighters. My small is usually a medium freighter. Just named a small freighter.

I have all 3 still active. You could even just change them all to large. I have seen my small (ai design) go all the way across my empire after something or to another empire sucking fumes too many times. All the while I have large freighters sitting idle that have much better range.

So I fixed that little issue. I make sure that my civilian ships are 1 fuel type and military another ASAP. Civilian is usually Fusion based and Military is Quantum. That keeps the little buggers from sucking my space ports dry all the time.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 6
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 10:27:55 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

So I fixed that little issue. I make sure that my civilian ships are 1 fuel type and military another ASAP. Civilian is usually Fusion based and Military is Quantum. That keeps the little buggers from sucking my space ports dry all the time.

A very wise precaution 2ndACR!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 10:33:17 PM   
2ndACR

It is but it sure slows down the upgrading of ships. I have to manually upgrade ships for quite awhile to make sure my civilian ships stay the way I want and my military the way I want.

I have my military shipping using Equinox jump drives and the civilian using Gerax drives. But the AI loves the Kaldos and the Calista drive. And loves putting my ships etc to Fusion from Quantum.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 8
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 10:49:32 PM   
balto

Two different fuels for Civilian and Military.., wow. I need to think about that for a while, but that sounds ingenius.

Wait, I just thought of something. You would most likely need more gas stations because most planets do not have both fuels.

Still, that is something to think about.

Wait, you also need to do extra research in reactors that you normally would be spending on other important areas.

You might be on to something there, but then again, you might not. That is interesting though.

< Message edited by balto -- 12/22/2011 10:52:08 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 11:21:01 PM   
2ndACR

Works for me. Once I get Quantum, I go after the Fusion. I keep 2-3 constructors as my own personal build fleet. I will search out what I need. Once built, the civilians pay for the mines, not me.

Casion for the military and hydrogen for the civilians.

I only research the fusion first tech until I have to get the others for the big blend number 4. Right now, I have 9 million in the bank, income of about 900,000 and research is coming so fast I cannot keep up with the upgrades. LOL

Had over 11 million but got hit with a crash that whacked me down. Best admiral just got drunk status.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 12/22/2011 11:27:49 PM >

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 10
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/22/2011 11:53:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Nope, I just add cargo space etc until all are basically medium or large freighters. My small is usually a medium freighter. Just named a small freighter.

I have all 3 still active. You could even just change them all to large. I have seen my small (ai design) go all the way across my empire after something or to another empire sucking fumes too many times. All the while I have large freighters sitting idle that have much better range.

One of the reasons I always add extra fuel cells to all my designs. gotta love it when you have the fuel cell special componant, 6-8 of those and you can go clear across the galaxy without problems.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 11
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/23/2011 2:07:15 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

Yes I do that too.

This is how I noticed that the assigning of missions to freighters takes place according to role. Even though all my freighters have the same specifications (I just copy as new and change the role so it's not really that labourious) it is nearly always the large freighters and never the small ones that get tasked to carry out 60 units of caslon to the new mining stations. The small freighters get prioritised hauling materials to new colonies/spaceports.

But it sucks. Given that there are three roles they should not be arse-about. I want some super-freighters, massive tankers maybe pretty slow but able to haul 20 000 units of gas in one trip. I also want runabouts, only able to get me 2-3 cargo holds worth of resources but damn quick.

As it is the roles are either pernicious, in the standard setup, or useless, if you implement a copy workaround.

But wait a second, that gives me an idea... You just have to design your small freighters to have massive amounts of cargo space and your large freighters to have very little.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/23/2011 3:07:16 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto
Two different fuels for Civilian and Military.., wow. I need to think about that for a while, but that sounds ingenius.
Wait, you also need to do extra research in reactors that you normally would be spending on other important areas.

You could just research fusion reactors and put those on your military ships leaving your civies with fission. I find fission reactors adequate for this.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 13
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/23/2011 8:39:05 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

You could just research fusion reactors and put those on your military ships leaving your civies with fission. I find fission reactors adequate for this.

That is the more problematical approach, as you are very dependent on the transport sector functioning. Sadly, the fission reactors are much more inefficient and having the freighters running around with empty fuel tanks slows your (or your neighbor's ;)) economies quite a lot. They'll still do it with fusion reactors, but less so.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 14
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/24/2011 12:03:45 AM   
Gandalf

When you redesign Civilian ships do you have to mark the old designs as obsolete or does the AI defer to the latest design automatically?

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 15
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/24/2011 12:15:47 AM   
feelotraveller

I'm pretty sure that the computer uses only the latest designs. It's good practice and easy as (one click) to obsolete the old ones.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 16
RE: Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? - 12/24/2011 2:36:48 AM   
Gandalf

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

I'm pretty sure that the computer uses only the latest designs. It's good practice and easy as (one click) to obsolete the old ones.

Cool... I misunderstood that even though an existing in use design could not be edited, it could still be checked as obsolete.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Small, Medium, Large Freighters??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI