Boskara wtf

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jpwrunyan

Boskara wtf

Post by jpwrunyan »

So, playing the humans with the Boskara as neighbors, hilarious hijinks ensue!

Boskara: We have vowed to extirpate your species. Ask not mercy; we have none.
Me: Have mercy!!!
Boskara: Well ok...

Next weeks episode promises more laughs as the Boskara again declare war on the humans and then accept their surrender in the same conversation!

Seriously, is this a bug? An exploit? Or just stupid?
Every five minutes the Boskara show up with their precursor warship and ten frigates to my pathetic homeworld. I cant compete with that luck! One ship with 600 firepower?! In the exact same dialogue in which they declare war on me, I just offer to be subjugated and they leave me alone. Uh gee, annihilation or subjugation... Ill take subjugation for 100, Alex... Ooh I know this one! "Who are the humans?"

They could crush me. They should crush me. Now I have more colonies than they do and am beating them. I just keep doing this to see if they ever will wake up and win the game.

Just doesnt seem right.
2guncohen

RE: Boskara wtf

Post by 2guncohen »

What do you win with subjugation ?
It feels a litle bugged [:D]
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Your right,perhaps a level of disparity vs empire strength scale. The greater the % is that the aggressor is stronger than your empire the more it will demand in tribute. A further modifier could be any species biases the aggressor empire might have,perhaps in the extreme case the aggressor would simply annihilate the weaker race.

But you are correct in that situation your level of being "screwed' is simply too low!   
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

It is just the insanity of it. Literally less than a minute goes by sometimes before they declare war on me again. Just finish it already!
In Master of Orion 2 empires would have a short time where they cut off diplomatic relations with you entirely after declaring war.
I feel that this ai should act similarly. There should at least be a minimum amount of destruction before they will even speak to you again. They should have some goal like destroying a base, invading your colony, just something...

I can actually do more damage to THEM by parking my fleet near a base in neutral territory and then destroying it before their fleet gets to my homeworld. After I destroy the base, I just go back to subjugation. That's not right!

My economy is crap so they certainly aren't making up the loss in tribute from me.
El Vis

Post by El Vis »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
They could crush me. They should crush me. Now I have more colonies than they do and am beating them. I just keep doing this to see if they ever will wake up and win the game.

Just doesnt seem right.

You are correct. It seems to be an exploit. The ai always accepts if you offer to be subjugated. Its much cheaper than to build up massive millitary early in the game. This way you never loose a planet even when you have not a single millitary ship.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”