Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some input...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some input... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 1:47:52 PM   
Perturabo

How about a based around a single planet with colonies, moonbases and stuff like that? I don't think anyone has ever done that in a space video game. Multiple nations on one planet and space around it instead of tens of planetary systems.
Pure hard sci-fi without stuff like shields and FTL drive.

Check out these posts:
http://www.rocketpunk-manifesto.com/2009/12/space-warfare-viii-orbital-combat.html

http://www.rocketpunk-manifesto.com/2009/12/space-warfare-ix-could-everything-we.html

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 12/24/2011 1:51:17 PM >

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 31
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 2:00:06 PM   
wodin

Sounds like early game Aurora. Which I must get back into thinking about it. Oh the hours spent building ships that where useless!!

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 32
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 2:51:52 PM   
Perturabo

Does Aurora have a part where there's only one planet with many nations?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 33
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 4:48:28 PM   
nim8or

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Does Aurora have a part where there's only one planet with many nations?

It sure does. And even better, you can pretty much setup just about any feasible scenario you want with (relative) ease. Aurora Wiki

The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men.
- PLATO

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 34
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 7:42:14 PM   
Texashawk

Interesting thoughts. I'll do some brainstorming this weekend while I'm at the inlaws.

Wodin: Sure! In fact, I'll walk people through a basic skirmish - how to pick your fleet, create attack, move, and scouting orders, and some basic strategy. Probably Monday evening when I'm back!l

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 4
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3

(in reply to nim8or)
Post #: 35
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 7:52:13 PM   
Mobius

quote:

How about a based around a single planet with colonies, moonbases and stuff like that? I don't think anyone has ever done that in a space video game. Multiple nations on one planet and space around it instead of tens of planetary systems.
Or different nations on different moons within the same solar system. Mining on different asteroids. Plenty of water and power but farming only at a few select places.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 36
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/24/2011 8:29:15 PM   
Texashawk

Definately has that Bio of a Space Tyrant feel...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

quote:

Or different nations on different moons within the same solar system. Mining on different asteroids. Plenty of water and power but farming only at a few select places.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 37
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/27/2011 9:03:33 PM   
Texashawk

Here are some new pictures:

The first one shows the fleet selection screen. For a skirmish, you will have a certain amount of 'war points' that you can use to select your ships (you will have the ability to select captains/admirals as well; for now the stats are randomly generated).

The second picture shows 1st squadron set up with Star Knight as the flag (all squadrons/fleets must have a flagship - this is 'your character'), a SDN, a DN, a BC, and a DD. This would not be an optimal squadron in 'real life' - it's just for testing purposes. I will be adding more ships as I chase the bugs out of the features I add.

The third picture shows incoming missiles that are targeting Star Knight. Notice that each enemy ship has selected an appropriately sized target - you won't have DD's chasing SDN's. This is affected by the bravery of the captain, the proximity of the threat and the speed difference, among other things. It also shows the active sensor/lidar range for Star Knight - targeting radar lights you like a Christmas tree to passive radar (and incoming missiles) but it makes your shot almost guaranteed to hit in the vicinity of your target.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by Texashawk -- 12/27/2011 9:11:27 PM >

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 38
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/27/2011 9:06:31 PM   
Texashawk

The last picture shows setting up an attack order. Remember, in this game you're not micromanaging your fleet. You're sending an attack order to your other ships. Since this order is to your ship, you can designate the number and type of missiles to use, but if you order a squadron member they will use their discretion about how and what to use as far as armament. You will get a base percentage chance but this does NOT take into effect things like enemy jamming, etc. It merely gives you the percentage chance that at least 1 missile out of your attack will make it to the target - it's an aid, not a crutch!

The AI is being built around the concept of 'events in defined situation parameters'. Thinking about how a real-world captain would operate, they don't give a steady stream of orders - they don't need to keep reminding their crews about what to do; they just give an order and let it ride - as long as there is no change to the situation. When an event occurs, depending on its 'weight', the captain may go into its decision loop to assess and possibly change their strategy, similar to a breakpoint. Examples of events are:

minorEvent_ContactLost
minorEvent_ContactRegained
minorEvent_FriendlyShipFiring
minorEvent_DamageRepaired

majorEvent_FriendlyShipTakingDamage
majorEvent_FriendlyShipIncomingMinorSalvo
majorEvent_EnemyShipDestroyed
majorEvent_EnemyShipDIW (dead in the water - essentially drifting in space and no longer combat capable, but not destroyed)

criticalEvent_FlagShipIncomingSalvo
criticalEvent_FriendlyShipIncomingMajorSalvo
criticalEvent_FriendlyShipDestroyed
criticalEvent_FriendlyShipTargetLost

Critical events will ALWAYS result in the unit taking action of some kind, depending on the mission parameters, how critical the mission is, and the stats of the captain of the ship. I have not modeled the captains yet, so the ships are using random stats for now. Once the major systems are working property and the AI knows how to use them (and in what situations), I will add the captains as units on the ships.

I am on the verge of having the AI perform well enough to post a short AAR to show what a full engagement looks like, with probes, missiles, scouting units, and combat. I should have that up by the end of the week!

Also - I have decided to go ahead and use a different universe - but I can still work on the systems since many of the core systems will still be the same, so I will continue development as a game engine.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Texashawk -- 12/27/2011 9:25:48 PM >

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 39
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/28/2011 1:04:13 AM   
sabre1

The game reminds me of Action Stations by Raw Entertainment.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 40
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/28/2011 12:37:30 PM   
wodin

Looking great. Are you going to have crew member stats and moral\experience etc? So depending on how good the crew is in your squadron depends on how well they perform your orders?

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 41
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/28/2011 11:05:13 PM   
Texashawk

Thanks, Wodin!

Yeah, I want there to be some kind of crew tracking - more as a ship for the whole than getting down to individual crew members, which I think would be a bit much.
quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Looking great. Are you going to have crew member stats and moral\experience etc? So depending on how good the crew is in your squadron depends on how well they perform your orders?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 42
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 12/29/2011 1:28:22 AM   
wodin

How about say for ships crew.. Captain (Linked to moral and effects officers below + or -), Weapons Officer (weapons performance i.e preempting orders or for a bad one possible delay in firing missiles etc), Navigation Officer (How quickly ship responds to move orders etc)and Sensor Officer (how quick shields go up, how well ship tracks enemies and missiles etc) then an overall Moral for ships crew that is linked to how good the Captain is aswell as it's current situation.

These are just ideas and wishful thinking...though if possible would be worth the effort as it will give your squadrons ships some character and it will feel like there are little crew rushing around those pixelated ships panicking or being ice cool under pressure etc. You will be worrying about HMS Panicking Pony due to the inability of it's captain Capt Shatapants but have confidence that HMS Stalking Lion will perform well under pressure due to Capt Von Borntokill superior Moral and experience.

Sorry for the names there please don't use them!

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 43
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 1/1/2012 1:06:31 AM   
Perturabo

Some neat concepts from Through Struggle, the Stars.
http://www.thehumanreach.net/

Lasers are the most accurate weapons with a very long effective range. The problem with them is that when they reveal their optics, they can be quickly disable by counter-battery lasers.
There are missiles - nukes (much less powerful than on earth) and flechette missilies (release a cloud of flechettes) - from long range they are easily picked off by defence lasers and anti-missiles. There's a decision of how close they should be detonated - if they are detonated too far, the flechettes have a low chance too hit, when too close they are more likely to be destroyed by anti-missile defence.

Then there are kinetic weapons (railguns?) that fire hypervelocity guided projectiles. They usually force ships to dodge/change course which prevents them from firing their lasers or from doing other manoeuvre.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 11/20/2012 3:41:56 AM   
RedArgo

Hey Texashawk,

I know this is an old thread, but just curious, did you get anywhere on this? I saw a thread on Space Sector about a guy making a version of Attack Vector and it reminded me about your project, it looked really interesting.

Thanks,
Bill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 45
RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some inp... - 11/20/2012 7:37:21 AM   
wodin

I was in touch with him a couple of months ago and he said he was still working on it but slowly if I remember correctly.

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Working on a personal game project, wanted some input... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI