Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"First Shot" Multi-Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> "First Shot" Multi-Player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 4:19:12 AM   
Carl Rugenstein

In early October 2011 a group of players decided to embark on a "Most Excellent Adventure" and started a 3x3 multi-player WITP AE game. We are a bit late in starting the AAR (it's mid January 1941)

Ooops, Thank you Gridley 380. That would be mid January 1942. Good thing I'm in charge of coordinating the timing of Japanese plans huh.

but better late than never I suppose. At any rate, here-in will lay all of the dirty secrets (and dirty tricks) of the intrepid band of players. It will be an open AAR so either side are welcome to post as they see fit. As such there may be an understandable lag between game time and posts.

For those interested readers here is a link to a webpage that contains the player roster, organization, house rules ect.

http://www.regimentaldepot.com/WITPAE/WITPAE%20Main.htm

Here is to the enjoyment of an absolutely superb game with a great group of guys !!!

< Message edited by Carl Rugenstein -- 12/23/2011 2:55:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 12:15:15 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carl Rugenstein

We are a bit late in starting the AAR (it's mid January 1941)

Wow! I didn't know the GC started that early! ;-)

(in reply to Carl Rugenstein)
Post #: 2
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 5:25:28 PM   
bigred

Sir, staff reports from the field indicate Balik oil and refineries captured w/ zero damage.  Unfortunately the infantry from the 16th division did take some casualties because of lack of air or sea bombardment.

Note some problems on Mindano.  After clearing the adjacent hex to balik the 16th division plans to return to mindano for final clearing operations.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 3
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 5:28:59 PM   
bigred

Tokyo HQ: That is one nice job !!!  13 days ahead of historical too !!  

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 4
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 6:43:48 PM   
jeffk3510

Let me know how Dropbox is working for you guys, as we're currently in a 2x3...

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 5
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 7:29:31 PM   
USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Let me know how Dropbox is working for you guys, as we're currently in a 2x3...

Jeff, we've been using it for our 2x2 game for a year, and it's great! I like the idea these guys are using of individual subfolders for each player, moving the save file into your folder when you are working on it.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 6
RE: "First Shot" Multi-Player - 12/21/2011 8:25:46 PM   
Bill Durrant

Yep Dropbox works really well.

Onto more important things:

Report from Commander in Chief ABDA and PI January 10 1942

Philippines:
Last night a sub patrolling out from a classified base put two torpedoes into an enemy cargo ship of the coast of Luzon. The captain was unable to confirm if the vessel sunk. A sister sub from the same base encountered three Japanese destroyers nearby to the first attack and four torpedoes were launched but all failed to hit. The sub escaped detection from the enemy.
60+ enemy aircraft attacked Manila in a night bombing raid but caused minimal damage.
70+ aircraft attacked Cagayan in a daytime raid causing minimal damage. This was followed by an enemy ground attack that was repelled comfortably.
Clark Field continues to be bombarded by enemy ground troops.

Borneo:
A seaborne invasion took place at Balikpapan after a pre-invasion bombardment in which coastal artillery damaged several enemy vessels. Troops fought a tactical withdrawal before abandoning the base in the face of overwhelming opposition. Claims of casualties made by 'Tokyo Rose' were grossly exaggerated.
Two brave Catalina pilots attacked a Japanese battleship assisting in the invasion. Both pilots returned home unhurt with their planes in tact.

Sumatra:
Forces withdrawing from the recent captured Palembang were attacked by 50+ aircraft. Despite this they continue to make progress towards their classified destination. The north of the island holds firm and is fully prepared for any enemy action.

Java:
Java continues to be untouched by the war at present. All units are on high alert but confident the enemy will think twice before invading such a well fortified and prepared island. There are signs of carrier activity in the area (see Celebes below).

Celebes:
Cargo and tanker ships evacuating civilians were mercilessly attacked at Makassar by aircraft that would appear to come from a carrier force patrolling nearby. Information as to the damage caused is classified at present but such a cowardly act by a ruthless enemy has only strengthened the resolve to exact revenge.

May I take this opportunity to publicly thank the other Allied Commanders. Their professional approach to such unprovoked attacks across the whole of the Pacific region will undoubtedly result in a swift victory against the evil empire known as Japan.

That is all.

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 7
Allied War Crimes - 12/22/2011 1:05:00 AM   
bigred

quote:

Celebes:
Cargo and tanker ships evacuating civilians were mercilessly attacked at Makassar by aircraft that would appear to come from a carrier force patrolling nearby. Information as to the damage caused is classified at present but such a cowardly act by a ruthless enemy has only strengthened the resolve to exact revenge.

From Commander: Southern Fleet
To: Commander, IJN

Subject: War Crimes committed by ABDA forces. 

Sir, be advised AAR reports from pilots of CAR Div #1 indicate strong possibility allied forces are using The Red Cross emblem on ammunition transports as shields to deceive our pilots.   I have issued orders to disregard these ploys and to sink any ship not flying the Rising Sun.  Big Red

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 12/22/2011 2:52:45 AM >

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 8
RE: Allied War Crimes - 12/22/2011 1:50:56 AM   
Bill Durrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

Celebes:

From Commander: Southern Fleet
To: Commander, IJN

Subject: War Crimes committed by ABDA forces. 

Sir, be advised AAR reports from pilots of CAR Div #1 indicate strong possibility allied forces are using The Red Cross emblem on ammunition transports as shields to decieve our pilots.   I have issued ordered to disregard these ploys and to sink any ship not flying the Rising Sun.  Big Red

CinC ABDA to Commander Southern Fleet

Uncoded message:

We have intercepted your communication. You WILL be brought to justice for these atrocities.

That is all.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 9
RE: Allied War Crimes - 12/23/2011 2:59:18 AM   
Carl Rugenstein

quote:

CinC ABDA to Commander Southern Fleet

Uncoded message:

We have intercepted your communication. You WILL be brought to justice for these atrocities.

That is all.

I call that pretty tall talk from folks that fly P-26's

Post #: 10
RE: Allied War Crimes - 12/23/2011 3:02:37 AM   
Carl Rugenstein

Did not see it mentioned on the wire services but even I have to complement the commander of DD Pope for bold action last turn.

Post #: 11
RE: Allied War Crimes - 12/23/2011 12:53:57 PM   
Bill Durrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carl Rugenstein

Did not see it mentioned on the wire services but even I have to complement the commander of DD Pope for bold action last turn.

Indeed:

Report from PI/ABDA CinC January 11 1942

PI: Last night the destroyer Pope, whilst on roving patrol east of the Islands, encountered an enemy TF. In the ensuing engagement Pope damaged a number of enemy cargo vessels with shells and torpedoes. This is just one of a number of counter measures taking place in the vicinity.
Manila was subjected to night aerial attack again.
Similarly, Cagayan was subjected to daytime aerial bombing.
Clark Field was struck again by artillery. To alleviate the situation a number of B17s flew from a classified base and bombed enemy artillery in the region.
Once again, I am pleased to announce heroic actions from Catalina pilots. Two such pilots flew from a classified airfield, bombed, and extensively damaged an enemy cargo ship off the coast of Manila.

Borneo:
Nothing new to report

Sumatra:
Reorganising units were again attacked from the air in the south of the island. A sortie was sent from a classified airfield and attacked shipping at Palembang. There were no confirmed hits.

Java:
Nothing new to report

Celebes:
I am sorry to report the Japanese atrocities continue. A cargo ship carrying civilians to safety from Makassar was attacked by enemy Battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers. A similarly loaded ship was attacked by enemy patrol boats.

That is all.

Post #: 12
RE: Hankow violated - 12/24/2011 3:42:52 PM   
bigred

A massive chinese army has made easy entry into hankow area and launched a campaign of destruction on the local garrison troops and the population.  LGen Shingeru Oga of the 34th IJA div had to deploy his men from a forced march formation to stop the hoards coming into the city.
Unfortunately this fight is not over and many heads will roll for the lack of Intel leading to the surprise attack by the chinese.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 12/24/2011 3:46:26 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Allied War Crimes - 12/24/2011 4:27:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

I am sorry to report the Japanese atrocities continue. A cargo ship carrying civilians to safety from Makassar was attacked by enemy Battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers. A similarly loaded ship was attacked by enemy patrol boats.

That is all.

See, that is what I am talking about. You just can't trust the LYB's. Get to work on the "gadget".

Post #: 14
RE: Allied War Crimes - 1/22/2012 1:49:56 AM   
bigred

IJA 13th army finally liberates Wuchow after over one month of seige.  CG 13th army is pleased to see cooperation between the services as the 5th air division and the 2nd fleet all come together to achieve a great victory for the emperor. On a private note Lt Gen hashimoto is pissed the chinese retreated 11 days march over the mountains to the NE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Wenchow (89,58)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 43173 troops, 401 guns, 126 vehicles, Assault Value = 1348

Defending force 14701 troops, 78 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 394

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 2569

Allied adjusted defense: 415

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wenchow !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1755 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 74 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 14 (1 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
4903 casualties reported
Squads: 208 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 86 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 43 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 24 (23 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
17th Division
22nd Division
39th Division
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Ind.Mixed Regiment
13th Army
4th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
88th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
25th Group Army
14th Chinese Base Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/22/2012 1:57:05 AM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 15
RE: Allied War Crimes - 1/22/2012 3:27:27 PM   
bigred

Singers on the rope...Lt.Gen Yamashita laments the reassignment of his para regiment.

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 64449 troops, 679 guns, 410 vehicles, Assault Value = 2137

Defending force 27971 troops, 414 guns, 273 vehicles, Assault Value = 485

Japanese adjusted assault: 713

Allied adjusted defense: 481

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
5070 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 492 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 48 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 60 disabled

Allied ground losses:
4365 casualties reported
Squads: 133 destroyed, 225 disabled
Non Combat: 82 destroyed, 88 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 61 disabled
Guns lost 60 (9 destroyed, 51 disabled)
Vehicles lost 32 (4 destroyed, 28 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/22/2012 3:31:41 PM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 16
RE: Allied War Crimes - 1/30/2012 2:30:20 AM   
bigred

Herr Rugenstien, the Tiger of Malaya reports Singapore is ours and the shipping lanes to Palembang are open.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/30/2012 2:38:11 AM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 17
RE: Allied War Crimes - 4/28/2012 4:29:19 AM   
Carl Rugenstein

Sorry it has been awhile since an update. It has been a very busy time in the real world for everyone but we seem to be back in the saddle again.

Unfortunately Imperial Japan has lost the very capable services of bigred to other duties. We have been very fortunate though to acquire the services of Cannonfodder. After having watched him play for a few turns I am convinced he chose that name to disarm his unsuspecting opponents. I suspect there is nothing cannonfodderish (is that a real word) about him and I suspect he will keep Bill on his toes in the western theater.

Since the last report (Jan 42) time has marched on and it is now nearing the end of March 42. The good guys have most of the DEI. The PI still stubbornly hold out. The weight of the IJA & IJN are beginning to fall on Burma. Some very heavy naval & air action recently concluded off Burma. A lot of back and forth wacking with the net result being most probably the RN down 3 BB's & the IJN down 1 BB. Japanese land based naval bombers being the decisive factory but the high point (or low depending on how you look at it) was the Ise taking on 3 RN BB's. A predictable result though I think she gave a very strong account of herself before going down. Bad day for the IJN. Enter the Nells next day & really bad day for the RN.

In the South Pacific the Japanese applied pressure on PM by occupying Milne Bay. For quite a number of turns a very pesky allied crusier force made life miserable at Milne with bombardments. The cruisers made the Japanese commander pull a fair amount of his remaining limited amount of hair out as we could not seem to catch the well handled crusiers. The bombardments also considerably lengthened the completition timing of a badly needed airfield. At long last the IJN carriers penned the elusive cruisers against the Australian coast and it appears put a stop to their troublemaking.

The most recent development (this last turn) saw the severe damage of a US CV as it raided the Marshall Islands in a probable attempt to relieve the pressure on PM. The last time the islands were visited by the carriers they were defended by our valient Claudes. This time the Claudes were replaced by Zeros that treated the Wildcats a bit more roughly. With the added protection the Nells got through and reports indicated 4 torpedo hits. A meeting was concluded this evening where the last hold outs in the IJN High Command at last agreed that the Zero might be superior in a few respects to the tried & true Claude.

More to come....

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert_McCloskey

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 18
RE: Allied War Crimes - 4/28/2012 8:40:44 AM   
Arnhem

Glad you guys took on CF, the man feeds off Excel spreadsheets and is generally making life the ****s for me all across the map in our PBEM, no doubt he'll have picked up a couple of tricks in the course of playing our game so I expect he'll do his worst to the Allied side in your game, will be watching with much interest.

Post #: 19
RE: Allied War Crimes - 4/28/2012 10:42:08 AM   
Cannonfodder

Hehe Arnhem, you managed to half the size of the IJN over two years (carriers and cruisers.).. Hope to do better this time!

"An agile, adaptable and capable Air Force that, person for person, is second to none, and that makes a decisive air power contribution in support of the UK Defence Mission."

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> "First Shot" Multi-Player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI