CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO

War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, from the team that brought you War in the Pacific.

Moderator: Tankerace

kirk23

CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO

Post by kirk23 »

CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO IS NOW AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD AT THE LINK BELOW

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21103098 ... enario.zip ( WINZIP 15 or above required to extract these files and is free to download if you don't have it installed.)

THERE IS A NEW PATCH AVAILABLE SEE THE LAST POSTING FOR THIS THREAD.
Make it so!
throttle8

RE: CASTLES OF STEEL SCENARIO

Post by throttle8 »

Thanks for all of your hard work Kirk!  I can't wait to open it up.  [&o]

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks throttle8 I hope you like it merry xmas,please leave feedback about this new scenario,it's a hell off alot of work to do,just need to know if it's worth while working on any more new scenarios in the future![8|]
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

Thanks Kirk! Graham would be (is) very proud of you, I am sure. This will be a really cool Christmas[:D]
tex

Post by tex »

So I have managed to have a look at the scenario in WITP Editor X, as well as starting it up. My first impressions are... WOW! The artwork, just in case you didn´t know it already, is superb. What really caught my eye was the beautiful cage masts Kirk did on the US ships, great job Kirk! I also enjoyed the new aircraft art, really outstanding.
As for the game, I am still in the set-up stage, but I can say there are certainly some surprises lurking about, so be careful! I am very much looking forward to pushing the orders button for the first time.
So far the scenario looks almost error-free, but I did notice one AP without a name (what a pity I can´t remember where now[&:]).
So Kirk, thanks again for this great Christmas present, the amount of work you have done for us is really staggering, and I know we all here appreciate it. [&o]
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Cheers Tex I'm sure you will have noticed also that your PG HELENA is in game with new improved art,I will take a look to see if I can track down the AP without a name,which side was it on The Japanese or Allies?

I will give you a big hint about playing,watch out for mines they are more powerful and cause damage as per history,I mean the British lost there 1 and only Dreadnought to a mine during ww1,your warned use your new minesweepers to clear paths near bases! Also Torpedos do alot more damage, be sure to attach plenty destroyers etc to vital task forces,to hunt down the great many more submarines that are in the game,you gamers are in for a good few surprises enjoy MERRY XMAS!
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

Aha, thanks for the hint, I think minesweepers are finally going to be sexy! As for the AP, it was on the Allies side. In my set-up I only got through to Columbo, so it will be at one of the A-C ports.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks Tex I will look to correct that as soon as possible,any errors I find I will release a little patch with them corrected just after xmas,I know for sure there are no game breakers,just one or two minor things might pop up.I opologise to anyone for any delays in fixing any little niggles,but I just a one man band here and it is a massive job trying to do all the new art plus tweek the millions of other things that go to make up a scenario.
Make it so!
Huskarl2006

Post by Huskarl2006 »

Is the game playable in singleplayer or it's only for PBEM?

Thanks for your hard work!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Huskarl2006,It's a remake of the 1922-26 Grandcampaign so it is single player,but I see no reason why it won't work PBEM also.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: tex

Aha, thanks for the hint, I think minesweepers are finally going to be sexy! As for the AP, it was on the Allies side. In my set-up I only got through to Columbo, so it will be at one of the A-C ports.

Hi Tex I tracked it down to Batavia base = the AP is the Pijnacker Hordijk a small Dutch European AP.Thanks for that Tex thats that been fixed,will be in the next patch after xmas.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have made this small patch to fix the missing Dutch AP missing name + some torpedo accuracy errors.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21105839 ... atch+1.zip
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

Thanks very much Kirk. The more I look into it, the more I am impressed with the work you put into this thing. Just creating the data in the scenario is huge work, but adding all the great artwork you´ve done on top of it makes it a truly massive undertaking. Great job!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Just downloaded the scenerio! Very, very impressive Kirk! Thank you so much! [8D]
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks Rob,Merry xmas[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks Tex, your right it was a lot of work creating this monster.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Ok anyone got anything to say about the scenario either from your initial findings within it,or from general game play?
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

Yes, it takes forever to set up [:)]  When I set up the game I go through the active ship list, base by base, and create the task forces. I have just finished San Diego, so I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to play the first turn sometime this evening.

Also, the deployment is very interesting, lots of changes there. Having so many gunboats at Midway makes me a little nervous[&:]
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Tex the reason for the gunboats at Midway is for extra protection against SUBMARINES they are now armed with depth charges.
Oh sorry about adding so many new ships,makes for alot of task force orders,talking of task forces,I'm sure you will have noticed that there are none already setup,it makes the AI act slightly differently,it now does not attack places you would have expected in the past,at least not right away,it now takes about 4 or 5 days before things really start to kick off,but when it does boy take cover,big changes your warned!!!

Below is the difference in ships for GRAND CAMPAIGN 1922-26 / CASTLES OF STEEL

Stock Grand Campaign 1922 -26 -------- CASTLES OF STEEL

Japanese ship types.

CV = 2 CV = 6
BB = 28 BB = 102
CA = 14 CA = 41
CL = 26 CL = 104
DD = 123 DD = 321
AP = 442 AP = 469
AK = 640 AK = 651
AO = 13 AO = 13
TK = 121 TK = 126
MSW = 7 MSW = 168
AUX = 26 AUX = 37
SS = 65 SS = 461

TOTAL = 1507 TOTAL = 2499

ALLIED SHIP TYPES

CV = 6 CV = 9
BB = 88 BB = 181
CA = 16 CA = 70
CL = 66 CL = 89
DD = 296 DD = 545
AP = 79 AP = 81
AK = 727 AK = 729
AO = 19 AO = 19
TK = 178 TK = 178
MSW = 26 MSW = 138
AUX = 101 AUX = 94
SS = 131 SS = 215

TOTAL = 1745 TOTAL = 2360
Make it so!
tex

Post by tex »

"Japanese ship types.

BB = 28 BB = 102
CA = 14 CA = 41
CL = 26 CL = 104
DD = 123 DD = 321
SS = 65 SS = 461"

Yikes![X(]

Okay, I finally have it all set up, saved it so I won´t have to do it again anytime soon, and now I am ready to hit the orders button. Here we go!!!

Return to “War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930”