Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General tactical know-how

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> General tactical know-how Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General tactical know-how - 12/19/2011 7:23:48 PM   
flibby

Having spent 20 years playing games on a much larger scale, I find myself lacking in operational level tactics...when do be flanking, force ratios and how to use support units. Would anyone have any recommendations on how to improve this?

The tactics 101 from armchair general was ok, but I'm looking for something more easily read and accessible.

Many thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: General tactical know-how - 12/20/2011 5:13:42 PM   
flibby

I'm also interested in any tips to stop my troops being split apart by Artillery on their assaults!

I set up the Fup's far enough away from the assault target, but they never reach because once they do cross the open, even at dawn, enemy artillery withers them to shreds..

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 2
RE: General tactical know-how - 12/20/2011 10:08:56 PM   
wodin

Arty as the germans is a killer in the Bulge scenarios. Maybe move covered may help. Or move to FUP at night.

I'd say the game is more grand tactical than operational. The art of knowing when to macromaanage and when to micro manage is something you learn over time. To much micromanagemnt isn't good nor is always using macro. Things like IG'sand MG's and tank platoons I seem to micromanage more then say Inf coy's. Usually give orders at battalion level. The first thing I do is give all my Arty units a defend in situ order. I then move them up to keep up with the battlefield as and when needed.

I have the HTTR manual that came with the boxed version which I found invaluable at the time and even helped me with CotA and BftB.

Still the game is trial and error and the best way to learn is read AAR's. othe rthan the tactics 101 tht you've read and AAR's thats all I can really offer.

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> General tactical know-how Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI