Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The guide to guides

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> The guide to guides Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The guide to guides - 12/19/2011 12:37:12 AM   
Nedrear

Everything, demanded by the community to be stickied or otherwise invaluable, will be directly adressed in here. If you wish to add something, post a comment below, linking to it, or report it per private message.

FAQ-Area

Passive FAQ (not sorted by questions in the first post, just a collection of them)

Legend Guides

Quick Start Guide
Fleet Guide
Early Game Resource Guide
Resource Extraction Guide
Research Guide
A Guide to Energy

Old Guides - maybe outdated

Economy Introduction

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 9/4/2012 11:47:24 AM >

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Post #: 1
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/19/2011 10:20:46 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Such a thread requires a bump! I feel kind of bad since you mentioned one of my threads,but I'd be happy if all the ones you mentioned got stickied even if mine didn't. These threads helped me get good at this game. Sticky!

Can Poland Into Space?

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 2
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/19/2011 3:11:37 PM   
MasterChief

bumping!

Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 3
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/19/2011 3:22:31 PM   
Data

I propose a PM storm to Erik for this one....hopefully he'll not pull out his big stick for this proposition

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 4
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/19/2011 7:58:47 PM   
w1p

repeated bump

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/22/2011 3:20:56 AM   
Nedrear

A little ping

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 6
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/24/2011 7:38:58 PM   
Sylian

push
Happy x-mas everyone!

< Message edited by Sylian -- 12/24/2011 7:40:46 PM >

Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 7
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/28/2011 3:24:00 AM   
the1sean

Great stuff, but sometimes I wonder, should we instead be posting this to the Distant Worlds Wiki and then linking to that in the forums???

< Message edited by the1sean -- 12/28/2011 3:34:53 AM >

Check out my GAMEPLAY REDUX MOD (ROTS)

(in reply to Sylian)
Post #: 8
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/28/2011 4:45:39 AM   
Nedrear

A wiki using eight pages roughly and rarely visited is always at a disadvantage against a forum on a main site. Believe it or not, people will find it here rather than in your wiki... no matter how less pages there are.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 9
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/28/2011 4:59:25 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Man, a Wiki is a good idea. SotS1 had a good Wiki, and so does AI War. Both of those games are tough to understand at first without the Wiki--although AI War does have a pretty good tutorial.

The main problem with making a Distant Worlds Wiki is that the game is so big, and the community is rather small. It would take a very long time to get such a wiki to the level where it ought to be.

Can Poland Into Space?

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 10
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 4:28:59 AM   
netjam99

Thanks for the guide...trying to read up after having my empire wiped out two games in row!

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 11
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 5:22:36 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

A wiki using eight pages roughly and rarely visited is always at a disadvantage against a forum on a main site. Believe it or not, people will find it here rather than in your wiki... no matter how less pages there are.

Listen man, I don't know what your deal is, but relax a little. You often sound hostile.

A: I didn't create that wiki, it's not mine (but we can still edit it and add to it, or maybe I should create one on Wikia from scratch).

B: Believe it or not, people will use a wiki. That's why Wikia is immensely popular. (I use Wikia all the time for research and info on the Fallout series of games. And Skyrim.)

The point isn't about it's current page count, it's that every user could copy and paste useful info like guides from posts into it. In the forums we get bombarded every day with THE SAME QUESTIONS. If we dumped the verified and tested info into the wiki it would be an awesome repository of the community's knowledge. The fact that this thread even exists solely to share links to other posts and has to be constantly bumped so that new players will be aware of it proves that keeping players connected with the DW info already out there is getting harder and harder to do...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Man, a Wiki is a good idea. SotS1 had a good Wiki, and so does AI War. Both of those games are tough to understand at first without the Wiki--although AI War does have a pretty good tutorial.

The main problem with making a Distant Worlds Wiki is that the game is so big, and the community is rather small. It would take a very long time to get such a wiki to the level where it ought to be.

Meh, I don't think it would take that long once everyone caught on. I bet you would be surprised at how fast it might grow. In fact, I bet it would also be a great place to post AAR's and mods... no limit on the graphics count, etc.

< Message edited by the1sean -- 12/29/2011 5:26:29 AM >

Check out my GAMEPLAY REDUX MOD (ROTS)

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 12
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 6:08:33 AM   
feelotraveller

This thread is

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 13
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 6:21:34 AM   
Nedrear

A) I am not sure how well acquainted you are with other languages and their terms of discussions, but I am not 100% sure if the English do it neither. If you refer to a subject someone brought up, you talk about it - if talking with the person bringing it up - as their subject. Therefore YOUR wiki. That is a indicator of intellectual posession in the current discussion. I would never render a wiki - a free encyclopedia - a posession to anyone. At it's best it got an administrator. Still an administrator is not a status of posession.

B) I am not hostile, I am neutral. Since most people are used to day to day talk - or trolling - and that even online this will create distractions. Though I will not change that style of talk.

C) A wiki IS useful. It can help you when you KNOW what to look for. Yes you could give the wiki a category page called guides. I won't deny it. Make it and then create subpages for every guide, but don't forget crediting all the main contributors for them. Still I NEVER looked for the word "guide" in any game wiki. I always go to the topic directly e.g. energy. This would mean you have to create further sublinks in all main pages if they already exist to the related category of that related guide.
Now - if most use the wiki - the guides will finally reach about 70% of those looking for them. That is good.
Still a person looking in the forum for "Help" or "Guide" can be directed to the thread in question, because wikis don't tend to have a direct chat. There will always be the ones who don't know that a subcategroy guide exists. Therefore in contrast the forum will ultimately reach 100% of the forum crawlers and the wiki guide will not.

You can make it. I don't stop you. It will help somebody. It still does not change the way the world revolves.

D)For the same questions - asked about 5-6 times - make a FAQ here in the forums AND the wiki and put them in. I see no problem for that. Someone just has to do it once.

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

This thread is

This post was in a related way more spam than any other anywhere. The current discussion follows the need of a guide thread, therefore fitting. At the same time it pushes the thread. The thread itself saves at least 6 others from getting pushed. At that it reduces spam. Please think about relations first and then post.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 12/29/2011 6:28:51 AM >

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 14
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 6:47:36 AM   
feelotraveller

No. Six of the previous posts are purely bumps which contribute nothing.

By all means have a discussion about the desire or need for a Wiki but please stop bumping for the sake of bumping. A Wiki discussion could perhaps be better had in a thread appropriately titled.

Yes Nedrear you regularly seem hostile to me. I try to ignore it...

I was bringing it to the attention of presumably well intentioned posters that there is a convention against bumping and I see no reason to make an exception for this thread. If it was growing as people contributed guides or links to old threads it could be mighty fine but as it is, it is a thread spammed for the sake of it. There are many fine threads/guides if you can be bothered to execute the search function. If it is merely the desire not to talk/discuss with people I wonder why the forum exists?

Six threads which have some content would be hugely preferable.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 15
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 6:55:30 AM   
Nedrear

In a neutral analysis there are only 4 out of your 6 posts that are really "bumps", since GC got other topics covered in his and data too. Further mine and Sylians waited several days and the slow reduction of order in the page list before bumping. I agree the general "day bump" that happended twice was unnecessary. I further would prefer the main guide thread to be stickied or an extra thread made anew by the moderators, stickied as such. This is a solution since that is NOT made. I further would delete all "old bumps" myself if I got moderator rights. Simply because I prefer clean threads too. Still that ideology of mine does not change the current situation of forum moderation which is... lacking.
To allow users to delete their own posts would stop the bumping problem completly, since I would delete my old posts myself. I find the missing of this feature the greatest mistake of every forum. This prevents people to use their right of intellectual property which applies to posts too.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 12/29/2011 6:57:11 AM >

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 16
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 8:45:38 AM   
feelotraveller

So to pressure the moderators (who presumably are on a well deserved holiday break) into stickying this thread you have taken it upon yourself to break etiquette and repeeatedly bump. What would happen if everyone did this? You could have sent a PM and seen what they had to say. I know what my reaction would be (now) if I was a mod.

Maybe rather than trying to big note the thread you could put some work into it? (Personally I would like to see it go away, but if contributions were being made I could just shrug and think about all the different types it takes.)

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 17
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 9:36:06 AM   
Nedrear

You are definetly on a hostile track since your analysis is definetly biased. If you read this area of the forum carefully - and my previous post in here - you would have seen, that I neither want the thread credited to me as I ask for a moderator lead a new thread of the same kind as a sticky nor is it a follow up of a holiday push on the mods.

First, this thread is a week older than the holiday.
Second a previous thread and some coposter mentioned the common lack of sticky support for guides or other good threads in their areas. There are none in general. Datas support should have made you see this.
Third people always look for old threads, hell even I got problems using the search to find my old ones. Especially since you never know what the topic to search is or the filter is bad. That is why these need a sticky topic and be on top of the room list.

So either contribute to the discussion instead of defaming people or please make a report to the mods so they will evaluate this whole process if you think the good will in this whole process is far beyond the morals of the forum. And read threads like these beforehand http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2988038
There are mor than this one about missing stickies. You like your search, so please use it.

Post #: 18
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 9:55:26 AM   
feelotraveller

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 19
RE: [Pushed] The guide to guides - 12/29/2011 10:11:57 AM   
Nedrear

With this you officially spamed twice where you said it is an unforgiven crime against the general convention... For a moment I might have hoped to join a serious discussion maybe leading to a contribution for this topic in general by the mods. Now I get an image of a fantasy creature I will not elaborate.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 12/29/2011 10:37:26 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: [Pushed] The guide to guides - 12/30/2011 1:43:49 PM   
Trifler

Personally I was flattered that this was repeatedly bumped. I agree that the best course of action would be for a mod to sticky this.

I can't imagine how you (feeloftraveller) could say that you'd prefer to see this thread go away. That's just hurtful.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 21
RE: [Pushed] The guide to guides - 1/3/2012 2:27:33 PM   
onomastikon

Hey, total newb here who was directed to this thread by a friendly person in my confused newbie thread here. I'm going to refrain from posting more until I print out and read all the juicy information in the 5 links contained in the OP. Huge main thanks go to the people who wrote those guides, and thanks to the OP here for compiling them.

Mainly posting just to point out that
- in the main link to the 3rd and 4th guide, "Resource" is spelled incorrectly. Just a minor thing, maybe want an edit?

I since read 85% of the discussions in this thread, and would merely like to add (hopefully in a constructive, helpful way?)
- I'd love a WIKI. Particularly one with details about details, which is something a WIKI is pretty good at. I do not think that this would make guides such as those compiled here obsolete in any way, which are all pretty much like semi-detailed essays, or at least seem that way to someone who has only skimmed them so far. I'd love a wiki which would include things like detailed information about energy, for example, but then let you click on links to components, such as Energy Collectors, which would then be detailed descriptions of what those components actually do (stats-wise also) in-game. But I am both too ignorant (don't know crap about this game yet) and too inept to make a wiki, but maybe I could contribute to it when I am big and strong.

- I have no desire to play a role in further exacerbating what appears to be an unfortunate series of unlucky exchanges, but if this helps, then yey, otherwise: sorry. I am more of a neutral observer as either the OP or any of the commenters can be considered (since they are already engaged in the "discussion"), and it appears to me (who has nothing to lose or gain from taking any "sides") that there is quite a bit of hostility on many "sides" in this thread. Once someone feels insulted -- rightly or wrongly: I mean, there are obviously people who would agree that the OPs response to the wiki suggestion was somewhat hostile (I can see that in some ways too), but probably there are going to be people who interpret the OPs response in a different way -- there's no use trying to figure out "who is right". Just because that it is a correct assessment ("person X has said something in a hostile way"), stating that assessment in a way that will only make the person get angry is an invitation to start further aggression. Maybe it would help to just take it easy a bit and try not to add fuel to the fire?
EDIT: Ehm sorry, guess this is not helping.

Back on track: thanks for the help to newbs from all you wise folks out there, much appreciated.

< Message edited by onomastikon -- 1/3/2012 2:30:20 PM >

(in reply to Trifler)
Post #: 22
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 1/3/2012 2:44:40 PM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: onomastikon

I mean, there are obviously people who would agree that the OPs response to the wiki suggestion was somewhat hostile (I can see that in some ways too), but probably there are going to be people who interpret the OPs response in a different way -- there's no use trying to figure out "who is right".

quote:

C) A wiki IS useful. It can help you when you KNOW what to look for. Yes you could give the wiki a category page called guides. I won't deny it. Make it and then create subpages for every guide, but don't forget crediting all the main contributors for them.

I already elaborated on my first short sentence in further detail after seans reply stating my way of phrasing and my personel evaluation of a wikis usage. You further added nearly the same point of view as a wiki is a detailed link page to special subdomains and rarely a good guide in general. Though some of the guides are in some ways extremly specific and could fit into a single wiki page category. This "disput" was already put to rest.

The only "discussion" left, abandoned in an unfashionable way by the other party, took concern in the existance of the thread as such and clearly implied wanted misdeeds by the creators and supporters of the thread. In the end going as far as discrediting every supporter of this by "harassing the moderators by demand". That had to be rectified. Every man got the right of self defence, which I figure, I took in an honourably and fair fashion.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 23
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 1/4/2012 2:44:18 AM   
mariandavid

As the participant who started this whole process going almost three weeks ago, suggesting that something be done to bring together the guides in this War Room - I (and I suspect many others) are very greatful to Nedrear for going to the trouble of grouping them together and, equally, ensuring that the list of guides appears at the start of the War room. Since no one else was acting on such a need I am glad he did, regardless of how it was done.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 24
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 1/4/2012 4:04:17 AM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Evrett

Gotta nominate this thread for a place in the list of guides threads...there are some pretty useful answers and well asked questions there.

Done

(in reply to mariandavid)
Post #: 25
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 1/4/2012 9:41:15 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Nedrear, thank you!

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 26
RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides - 1/15/2012 10:33:01 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

The quick start guide should be added.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 27
RE: The guide to guides - 1/15/2012 11:23:10 PM   
Nedrear

quote:

Legend Guides

Quick Start Guide

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

The quick start guide should be added.

Gareth you are so not funny. Read the first post before commenting... and give directions... like well... links.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 1/15/2012 11:24:12 PM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 28
RE: The guide to guides - 1/16/2012 12:44:33 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

My apologies, I'm mostly lurking around.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 29
RE: The guide to guides - 1/30/2012 10:16:55 PM   
Nedrear

This thread is getting awfully low on the list. (Don't spam bump after this post. It is enough for the time being).

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> The guide to guides Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI