The guide to guides

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Nedrear

The guide to guides

Post by Nedrear »

Everything, demanded by the community to be stickied or otherwise invaluable, will be directly adressed in here. If you wish to add something, post a comment below, linking to it, or report it per private message.

FAQ-Area

Passive FAQ (not sorted by questions in the first post, just a collection of them)

Legend Guides

Quick Start Guide
Fleet Guide
Early Game Resource Guide
Resource Extraction Guide
Research Guide
A Guide to Energy

Old Guides - maybe outdated

Economy Introduction
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Gelatinous Cube

RE: [Daily pushed] The guide to guides

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Such a thread requires a bump! I feel kind of bad since you mentioned one of my threads,but I'd be happy if all the ones you mentioned got stickied even if mine didn't. These threads helped me get good at this game. Sticky!
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

bumping!
Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"
Data

Post by Data »

I propose a PM storm to Erik for this one....hopefully he'll not pull out his big stick for this proposition [:D]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
w1p

Post by w1p »

repeated bump
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

A little ping

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Sylian

Post by Sylian »

push [:)]
Happy x-mas everyone!
Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Great stuff, but sometimes I wonder, should we instead be posting this to the Distant Worlds Wiki and then linking to that in the forums???
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

A wiki using eight pages roughly and rarely visited is always at a disadvantage against a forum on a main site. Believe it or not, people will find it here rather than in your wiki... no matter how less pages there are.

Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Man, a Wiki is a good idea. SotS1 had a good Wiki, and so does AI War. Both of those games are tough to understand at first without the Wiki--although AI War does have a pretty good tutorial.

The main problem with making a Distant Worlds Wiki is that the game is so big, and the community is rather small. It would take a very long time to get such a wiki to the level where it ought to be.
netjam99

Post by netjam99 »

Thanks for the guide...trying to read up after having my empire wiped out two games in row!
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

A wiki using eight pages roughly and rarely visited is always at a disadvantage against a forum on a main site. Believe it or not, people will find it here rather than in your wiki... no matter how less pages there are.
Listen man, I don't know what your deal is, but relax a little. You often sound hostile.

A: I didn't create that wiki, it's not mine (but we can still edit it and add to it, or maybe I should create one on Wikia from scratch).

B: Believe it or not, people will use a wiki. That's why Wikia is immensely popular. (I use Wikia all the time for research and info on the Fallout series of games. And Skyrim.)

The point isn't about it's current page count, it's that every user could copy and paste useful info like guides from posts into it. In the forums we get bombarded every day with THE SAME QUESTIONS. If we dumped the verified and tested info into the wiki it would be an awesome repository of the community's knowledge. The fact that this thread even exists solely to share links to other posts and has to be constantly bumped so that new players will be aware of it proves that keeping players connected with the DW info already out there is getting harder and harder to do...

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Man, a Wiki is a good idea. SotS1 had a good Wiki, and so does AI War. Both of those games are tough to understand at first without the Wiki--although AI War does have a pretty good tutorial.

The main problem with making a Distant Worlds Wiki is that the game is so big, and the community is rather small. It would take a very long time to get such a wiki to the level where it ought to be.
Meh, I don't think it would take that long once everyone caught on. I bet you would be surprised at how fast it might grow. In fact, I bet it would also be a great place to post AAR's and mods... no limit on the graphics count, etc.

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

This thread is

Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

A) I am not sure how well acquainted you are with other languages and their terms of discussions, but I am not 100% sure if the English do it neither. If you refer to a subject someone brought up, you talk about it - if talking with the person bringing it up - as their subject. Therefore YOUR wiki. That is a indicator of intellectual posession in the current discussion. I would never render a wiki - a free encyclopedia - a posession to anyone. At it's best it got an administrator. Still an administrator is not a status of posession.

B) I am not hostile, I am neutral. Since most people are used to day to day talk - or trolling - and that even online this will create distractions. Though I will not change that style of talk.

C) A wiki IS useful. It can help you when you KNOW what to look for. Yes you could give the wiki a category page called guides. I won't deny it. Make it and then create subpages for every guide, but don't forget crediting all the main contributors for them. Still I NEVER looked for the word "guide" in any game wiki. I always go to the topic directly e.g. energy. This would mean you have to create further sublinks in all main pages if they already exist to the related category of that related guide.
Now - if most use the wiki - the guides will finally reach about 70% of those looking for them. That is good.
Still a person looking in the forum for "Help" or "Guide" can be directed to the thread in question, because wikis don't tend to have a direct chat. There will always be the ones who don't know that a subcategroy guide exists. Therefore in contrast the forum will ultimately reach 100% of the forum crawlers and the wiki guide will not.

You can make it. I don't stop you. It will help somebody. It still does not change the way the world revolves.

D)For the same questions - asked about 5-6 times - make a FAQ here in the forums AND the wiki and put them in. I see no problem for that. Someone just has to do it once.

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

This thread is

This post was in a related way more spam than any other anywhere. The current discussion follows the need of a guide thread, therefore fitting. At the same time it pushes the thread. The thread itself saves at least 6 others from getting pushed. At that it reduces spam. Please think about relations first and then post.

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

No. Six of the previous posts are purely bumps which contribute nothing.

By all means have a discussion about the desire or need for a Wiki but please stop bumping for the sake of bumping. A Wiki discussion could perhaps be better had in a thread appropriately titled.

Yes Nedrear you regularly seem hostile to me. I try to ignore it...

I was bringing it to the attention of presumably well intentioned posters that there is a convention against bumping and I see no reason to make an exception for this thread. If it was growing as people contributed guides or links to old threads it could be mighty fine but as it is, it is a thread spammed for the sake of it. There are many fine threads/guides if you can be bothered to execute the search function. If it is merely the desire not to talk/discuss with people I wonder why the forum exists?

Six threads which have some content would be hugely preferable.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

In a neutral analysis there are only 4 out of your 6 posts that are really "bumps", since GC got other topics covered in his and data too. Further mine and Sylians waited several days and the slow reduction of order in the page list before bumping. I agree the general "day bump" that happended twice was unnecessary. I further would prefer the main guide thread to be stickied or an extra thread made anew by the moderators, stickied as such. This is a solution since that is NOT made. I further would delete all "old bumps" myself if I got moderator rights. Simply because I prefer clean threads too. Still that ideology of mine does not change the current situation of forum moderation which is... lacking.
To allow users to delete their own posts would stop the bumping problem completly, since I would delete my old posts myself. I find the missing of this feature the greatest mistake of every forum. This prevents people to use their right of intellectual property which applies to posts too.

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

So to pressure the moderators (who presumably are on a well deserved holiday break) into stickying this thread you have taken it upon yourself to break etiquette and repeeatedly bump. What would happen if everyone did this? You could have sent a PM and seen what they had to say. I know what my reaction would be (now) if I was a mod.

Maybe rather than trying to big note the thread you could put some work into it? (Personally I would like to see it go away, but if contributions were being made I could just shrug and think about all the different types it takes.)

Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

You are definetly on a hostile track since your analysis is definetly biased. If you read this area of the forum carefully - and my previous post in here - you would have seen, that I neither want the thread credited to me as I ask for a moderator lead a new thread of the same kind as a sticky nor is it a follow up of a holiday push on the mods.

First, this thread is a week older than the holiday.
Second a previous thread and some coposter mentioned the common lack of sticky support for guides or other good threads in their areas. There are none in general. Datas support should have made you see this.
Third people always look for old threads, hell even I got problems using the search to find my old ones. Especially since you never know what the topic to search is or the filter is bad. That is why these need a sticky topic and be on top of the room list.

So either contribute to the discussion instead of defaming people or please make a report to the mods so they will evaluate this whole process if you think the good will in this whole process is far beyond the morals of the forum. And read threads like these beforehand http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2988038
There are mor than this one about missing stickies. You like your search, so please use it.

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Nedrear

RE: [Pushed] The guide to guides

Post by Nedrear »

With this you officially spamed twice where you said it is an unforgiven crime against the general convention... For a moment I might have hoped to join a serious discussion maybe leading to a contribution for this topic in general by the mods. Now I get an image of a fantasy creature I will not elaborate.

Return to “The War Room”