Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about OBC's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Question about OBC's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about OBC's - 12/15/2011 10:37:39 PM   
MXB2001

The 1941 campaign has some weird HQ's at start: 6th Army in China (doc file claims it only appears in '44), 10 Area Army, 18th Army and 32nd Army.

I just started the Other Campaign Rising Sun (Allied AI) and these HQ's are as expected not on board yet. The standard Rising Sun however has all of them present like the '41 camp.

What does this mean? Have the standard campaigns been "tweaked" for Allied Players? (aside from the inclusion of the numerous garrison Rgt's)

What should I play as the Japanese?

A confused Yamamoto...
Post #: 1
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/16/2011 7:09:54 AM   
bradk

Originally posted by Jeremy Pritchard a long time ago...

**Remember**
---------------------
If you are playing the 1941 scenarios, please do the following.
---------------------
If you are playing a PBEM/Hotseat game, play either...
'Other Campaigns'
a - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (PBEM) [starts with the PH strike, ships sunk/damaged can vary]
or
c - 07/12/41: "Tora, Tora, Tora" (PBEM) [starts in the afternoon of 12/7/41 after the PH strike, ships at PH are damaged/sunk according to historic results]
---------------------
If you are playing as the Japanese (Allies as the AI), play...
'Other Campaigns'
b - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (Allied AI)
---------------------
If you are playing as the Allies (Japanese as the AI), play...
'Campaign 41'
---------------------
**These scenarios are custom made to 'cheat' for the AI, while the PBEM games have no cheats in them at all, and are as historic as possible.
**All other scenarios can be played in any manner, but the AI will not be 'as' tough as it is in their custom scenarios.

(in reply to MXB2001)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/16/2011 7:17:22 PM   
MXB2001

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradk

Originally posted by Jeremy Pritchard a long time ago...

**Remember**
---------------------
If you are playing the 1941 scenarios, please do the following.
---------------------
If you are playing a PBEM/Hotseat game, play either...
'Other Campaigns'
a - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (PBEM) [starts with the PH strike, ships sunk/damaged can vary]
or
c - 07/12/41: "Tora, Tora, Tora" (PBEM) [starts in the afternoon of 12/7/41 after the PH strike, ships at PH are damaged/sunk according to historic results]
---------------------
If you are playing as the Japanese (Allies as the AI), play...
'Other Campaigns'
b - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (Allied AI)
---------------------
If you are playing as the Allies (Japanese as the AI), play...
'Campaign 41'
---------------------
**These scenarios are custom made to 'cheat' for the AI, while the PBEM games have no cheats in them at all, and are as historic as possible.
**All other scenarios can be played in any manner, but the AI will not be 'as' tough as it is in their custom scenarios.

Thanks for finding that.

Argh, it is as I feared. Basically for computer play it is best to stick with the SSI version with it's superior play balance and the 3.2 for PBM for it's superior historicalness. Except for that 1 scenario (Rising Sun) in 3.2 that's been geared for computer play.

Oh well, I made enough "beginner" errors in the game I'd started to write it off as a practice game. I must say, after 11 years it is almost like being new. :)

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/17/2011 2:56:40 PM   
bradk

I don't know that Matrix is more historical.  The aircraft modeling is much better.  The SSI "replace 12 months after loss" routine for some ship types is replaced by ships appearing on their historic dates.  OTOH, the US prioritized its construction based on needs so there's some merit to the SSI system.

AI can't do as good a job as a human.  Built in help for AI is typical game design practice.  Some of these help features from SSI are disabled in Matrix.

There's fundamental "shooting at two hares" problem in trying to make a game for play against both AI and a human using basically the same data and game functions.

(in reply to MXB2001)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/17/2011 5:28:28 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

All other scenarios can be played in any manner, but the AI will not be 'as' tough as it is in their custom scenarios.

BTW, has anyone compared the AI in Matrix 2.3 against the SSI AI?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/17/2011 5:50:44 PM   
bradk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

All other scenarios can be played in any manner, but the AI will not be 'as' tough as it is in their custom scenarios.

BTW, has anyone compared the AI in Matrix 2.3 against the SSI AI?

Don't have it.

When did they start disabling what they called AI "cheats"?

There's no way reasonable changes in an obc can compensate for a weak AI in an exe.

I'd be making my scenarios to run with Grigsby's x 22 exe if I had a way to put Matrix PBEM features, especially vcr into it, and could make Allied ships appear on historical dates rather than the replace losses in 12 months system in SSI.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/19/2011 2:36:22 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Don't have it.

That's odd. I sent it to you as an attachment to a PM back on January 13th. Did the file get dropped?

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about OBC's - 12/19/2011 5:00:19 AM   
bradk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Don't have it.

That's odd. I sent it to you as an attachment to a PM back on January 13th. Did the file get dropped?

I thought I didn't and thought wrong. Reason is the zip saved under an unfamiliar name. Didn't recognize it until I went back to the orignal PM which I still have.

I'm going review the change documents and see what features it has. Thank you!

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Question about OBC's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI