What is after War in the West?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

GBS

What is after War in the West?

Post by GBS »

Has anyone noticed if 2by3 has announced any future projects after the WitW game? They always seemed to have a pipeline of ideas going out as far as 3 to 5 years. I just love their work.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
jwduquette1

RE: What is after War in the West?

Post by jwduquette1 »

War in the Northwest?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Joel said this in another thread:
Work is progressing. Things are speeding up now since we have our alpha map (for all of WiE actually, not just WitW), and coding has started on some of the changes from WitE. Data work has been ongoing and continues. We're hoping to have the first scenario for WitW 43-45 up and running by around the 1st of the year. We have a long way to go, but it's nice to see Pavel and Gary working on code now. The unofficial target date is late 2012 to mid 2013. No special forum or thread for WitW yet.

Other plans have been discussed in the private test forum but it would be up to Joel if/when he goes public with any of that.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Plans are for WitW 43-45, then WitW 40 (which would include a new more advanced naval game), then WitW 41-42 (focused on the Med). Sometime there would be a WitE 2.0 and then a full War in Europe if we make it that far.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Plans are for WitW 43-45, then WitW 40 (which would include a new more advanced naval game), then WitW 41-42 (focused on the Med). Sometime there would be a WitE 2.0 and then a full War in Europe if we make it that far.
Thats a lot of projects!! Need another tester? =p
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

,,,,,then combine with the WITP-AE engine and a global map for "WITW--War in the World!"

750-page manual to be printed in 3-volume set!
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

The good thing about a 43-45 it will be a player decision when to pull units from the east... in Italy the front would be quite fixed for much of the time I guess. And it would initally involve not too many more units. Quite managable.

I do hope there are better simulations for partisans in the 43-45 game and the massive and complex situation with Tito.

Are you saying the 43-45 game would have more naval - what akin to AE?

Cav
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

There will be a slightly more complex set of rules (but still abstract) to deal with amphib and naval transport, and ports and supplies. The major new naval rules which would be less abstract will come with the WitW 40 game, as we want it to include a possible Sea Lion type operation. However, it will not be at the WitP level of resolution/detail. Gary has some ideas on a middle ground set of naval rules, but it won't be fleshed out until we get to working on WitW 40.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
Gary has some ideas on a middle ground set of naval rules, but it won't be flushed out until we get to working on WitW 40.
Flushed out? Or, fleshed out? Hmmn...don't know how to take that one...[;)]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Well a lot does get flushed during development. [:)]
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Scook_99

Post by Scook_99 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

,,,,,then combine with the WITP-AE engine and a global map for "WITW--War in the World!"

750-page manual to be printed in 3-volume set!

Lol, a quick game will be each side take a week to do a turn. This could play out in real time, 6 years for the real war, 6 years to complete one game. I have to say, this does appeal to my masochistic side.
governato

WitE extra scenarios package?

Post by governato »

I remember reading rumors about an additional set of smaller scenarios for WitE..Does anybody have any news about it?
I noticed that some scenarios from the 'users contributed list' have been pulled out...
Redmarkus5

RE: WitE extra scenarios package?

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Is this going to be built using the same engine as WiTE?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, we are working on a set of 10 scenarios designed by Trey Marshall (WitE/WitW data and scenario researcher/designer) and John Duquette (editor manual writer). A few of these scenarios were originally available in their very early iterations in the mod section. They've been worked on a lot more, tested, and have been used by Gary to work on improving his AI routines (a lot of which carries over to the campaigns). Erik and I have even managed to PBEM Drama on the Danube twice (switching sides), and we found it a ton of fun (it's nothing like playing 1941 or 1942 as its the operations in Romania and Hungary from August 44 until the end of the war). We hope the scenarios will be availabe within the next few months. The scenarios use the latest WitE version.

As for WitW, it starts with the WitE engine and then will have many modifications made during development (some that have been initially tested in WitE testing but were considered too radical/risky to release in WitE but which we want to develop in WitW). Red, it will not be using a more abstract combat system. Simplicity is not what Gary's games do. Even his most commercially successful game, Steel Panthers, used very complex combat algorithms, and if you want complex, try WitP. They are not perfect simulations, but we think they get close enough. There are plenty of board and wargames that use simple combat systems, it's just not what Gary does.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
governato

Post by governato »

That is exciting news! Thanks for the quick update!
Looking forward to play them new scenarios...
Dili

Post by Dili »

it will not be at the WitP level of resolution/detail.

Unfortunately.
Blubel

Post by Blubel »

ORIGINAL: Dili
it will not be at the WitP level of resolution/detail.

Unfortunately.

I would like to differ. WitE is a great, complex game, but still easy to approach. WitP level of detail is quite hard on any other possible free time activities. (In short, I would love to have enough time for WitW, but will have never enough time for a single WitP game...)
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Hi Joel, I own UV, WiTP and WiTP AE. I will no doubt buy WitW as I am still in search of a really satisfying WW2 simulation. Having bought it, if it doesn't deliver what your marketing claims it does, I will no doubt complain about that in the WitW forum.

Now, there's something for everyone to look forward to!

By the way, do I need to plan for another map mod or will the place names be on the map this time? Roads and bridges also?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

No decision re place names on map (thanks for your mod, I know many have enjoyed it). No plans for roads and not sure how we will handle the bridge question in WitW (IIRC you could bomb rail bridges in the old WF).
-- Soren Kierkegaard
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

Thanks for the updates Joel! Really looking forward to WiW, but still enjoying the heck out of WiE for now (it's minor flaws have been GREATLY exaggerated at times in these forums).

WF was a grand game and I do remember being able to bomb bridges in that game (at least I think I do...been years since I played it...still have it packed away somewhere in my basement).

Hope something like that can be incorporated into WiW, especially since bridges played such a big role on the Western Front ("Transportation Plan" prior to D-Day, Pegasus, Arnhem, Remagen, etc...).

One question: will the strategic bombing campaign be represented in some fashion in WiW?

thanks!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”