Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit too ambitious - Allied

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit too ambitious - Allied Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit too am... - 12/14/2011 11:39:41 PM   
miya

Hallo,

time for an AAR with the new patch. "Bastogne Breakout" is the scenario, historical reinforcements and normal supply for both sides.
Now I shall explain my plan for the scenario.
As the commander of the III Corps, I will use two divisions, the 101 Airborne and the 6 Amoured.
First CCA (Lt.Col. Hines Jr.) will move towards Noville ( A ). Single companies of the 3.506 will support that attack and defend the road junction in Noville.
CCA will then turn right and with the dawn of Day 2 it will attack the three objectives Arloncourt, Michamps and Bourcy ( B ).
When the other elements of the 6 Amoured arrive, they will be immediately send towards the north and the northeast to set up defences ( C ). My superiors believe german reinforcements will arrive after 36 hours.
The 501 Para Regt (Lt.Col. Ewell) plus Team Ohara is tasked to advance along the highway to occupy Neffe and Mageret. Further Wardin and Benonchamps in the Valley.
The german forces in the woods east of Foy will be encircled, if the advance of all forces is successful.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by miya -- 12/14/2011 11:40:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 1:09:29 PM   
miya

90 minutes into the game

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 2
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 1:19:30 PM   
miya

D1 11:35
It took quite long to defeat a single engineer company. Hines' troops will now move north quick. After taking Noville I want to rest them as much as possible in order to prepare them for Day 2.
East of Foy, 2.506 has problems. German mortars are the biggest obstacle in the woods. I intend to block the railway and the tracks leading through the wood with single companies of this battalion.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 3
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 2:39:56 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

Looking forward to the battle for Noville :)

Regarding 501st Rgt Bns, what were the orders you issued? You ordered 2/501 to assault Bizory I guess, but I'm doubting about what were your order for 1/501. Was it a regular Move order with an specific H Hour set and ignoring enemy presence? If so, very good assessment of the timing. I tend to overestimate

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 4
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 3:34:52 PM   
miya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

Regarding 501st Rgt Bns, what were the orders you issued? You ordered 2/501 to assault Bizory I guess, but I'm doubting about what were your order for 1/501. Was it a regular Move order with an specific H Hour set and ignoring enemy presence? If so, very good assessment of the timing. I tend to overestimate

It is a simple defend order for the 1.501. Defend Mageret, aggro Min, route covered. Possibly it is a pure coincidence that both Bns enter Bizory at the same time. I did not assess the timings.

D1 13:00
CCA is delayed. They stop moving and open fire. Currently they have a simple move order with minimum aggro and bypass selected. I guess I have to intervene and give new orders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 5
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 3:46:34 PM   
miya

D1 16:15
I issued new orders for the two CCA battalions. Brown is attacking the Cobru/Noville area, Kennedy is attacking towards the open area southeast of Noville, beetween the woods.
In the south O'Hara advances towards Wardin and the third battalion of 501 Paras towards Benonchamps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 6
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/15/2011 3:50:25 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: miya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

It is a simple defend order for the 1.501. Defend Mageret, aggro Min, route covered. Possibly it is a pure coincidence that both Bns enter Bizory at the same time. I did not assess the timings.

Fair enough :) It was quite fortunate that 1/501 had already routed the Germans there, so 2/501 could just slip through.

-----
----

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 7
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 11:02:33 AM   
miya

D1 19:30
My troops are in Noville, the 506 Para Regt is blocking the tracks leading through the woods and in the south I have troops in the villages of Benonchamps and Wardin. To summarize I'm pretty satisfied with the results of the first day.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 11:20:15 AM   
miya

D2 4:35
End of the night, time to start Step B.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 9
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 11:26:15 AM   
miya

D2 8:10
the attacks are on the way. Only light resistance so far. The only thing which is worrying me is, the corps artillery tubes are almost empty.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 10
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 11:37:30 AM   
miya

Suddenly excitement is spreading in my headquarters. Rumours say some high ranking german generals are seen in the headquarter of TF Kennedy.
Soon it is clear our attack has overrun the I SSPzKorps HQ and forced them to surrender.
Has anybody some numbers what does that mean for the AIs order delay ?
I feel victory is within reach.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 11
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 1:33:42 PM   
wodin

Enjoying it.

Not sure taking out the Korps HQ gives you a likely victory. STill early days. However like Is aid I haven't played this scenario so don't know who the top german coomand unti si or anything about replacements. I haven't played this scenario but I've taken out HQ's and still lost. Is a good feeling though to take out the 1st SS HQ I'm sure.

I will leave it upto a number cruncher to answer the delay question.

Just wondered did you have CCA6 in road column formation at the start of the scenario?

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/16/2011 1:34:59 PM >

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 12
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 4:45:55 PM   
miya

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Just wondered did you have CCA6 in road column formation at the start of the scenario?

They had a simple defend order. The intention was that the para companies will do the hard work with attacking the germans in Foy and Noville. CCA then would be able to roll in position unmolested. That didn't work quite well.

D2 15:30
Enemy reinforcements sighted. Tanks from the northwest. They are a bit early, it is still some time untill the 36 hours mark. And my artillery tubes are almost empty.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 4:53:03 PM   
miya

D2 20:11
The men of CCB.6 (Col Read Jr.) have a sense of dramatic timing. They arrive just in time to secure my right flank.
I suspect this will be a long night.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 14
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 5:12:11 PM   
miya

Empty artillery tubes are still a problem. This is especially true for the corps arty battalions. I had several resupply requests for the last couple of hours and no shells are delivered. The suspect is the III Corps supply depot. If I interpret the numbers correct, there are simply not enough trucks. They are all busy to supply the 6 Armoured Division depot and the 101 Airborne depot. Requests from the artillery will mostly suspended.

Give me more trucks Patton !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 15
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/16/2011 5:44:30 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

Taking out the I SS PzKorps HQ won't help the AI one bit, but I don't think it is anything as lethal as a head shot. I also have to admit that I don't know if an HQ assists lower-level HQ's by lending them Staff Capacity.

Taking out instead the Korps Base... that would have been HUGE.

On the other hand, I see your forces have basically enveloped most of 78th Grenadier Rgt and 901st PzGr Rgt (or so it seems). Keep that pocket tight, poke those guys to make them run out of ammo, and you'll have a smashing victory in your pocket.

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 12/16/2011 5:47:24 PM >

-----
----

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 16
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 9:18:14 AM   
miya

The pocket is not as tight as it should be. During the night the AI was able to sneak several companies into Bizory and black unit icons appeared behind my lines.

D3 8:00
After 48 hours I have achieved the objectives of my plan. In a few hours CCR will arrive. The primary task will be to destroy the 78th Grenadier Regt and to clear woods around Foy.
The germans in Bizory are currently attacked by the glider battalion. I support this attack with direct fire from the 696 Arm FA Bn. The M7s and the Shermans will be a great help.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 1:10:50 PM   
miya

D3 17:00
My line is holding despite the arrival of more german troops. The empty artillery tubes of III Corps will be a major problem during the next days.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 18
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 1:16:32 PM   
miya

D4 5:30
Lucky, at least some shells are delivered. They are immediatly spend, to prevent opponent movement.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 19
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 1:21:08 PM   
miya

D4 12:00
German attacks increase. My line holds. The focus is in the villages of Recogne and Noville on my western flank.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 20
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 1:29:42 PM   
miya

D4 18:00
More german troops. Attacks from many different directions. A german battlegroup consisting of tanks and motrized infantry found a gap between Michamps and Arloncourt. The 86 Cavalry is near. I have to see what they can do about it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 21
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 6:44:18 PM   
miya

D4 23:00
Constant german attacks, now success is on their side. My troops are forced out of the villages of Recogne and Noville.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 22
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 6:50:07 PM   
miya

D5 7:00
The night was rather chaotic. It looks like my left flank is crumbling. No gains achieved with my counterattacks, only losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 23
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 6:58:48 PM   
miya

D5 13:00
After fighting all the night and half of the day, at least Recogne changed ownership again. The third Para battalion of the 506 Para Regt achieved success.
Still no gain in Noville.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 24
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 7:16:54 PM   
miya

D5 21:30
A minor change of plan. It seems Noville is impossible at the moment. I simply lack arty ammuntion.
The germans getting active in the south. I see a serious thread for the objectives Wardin and Benonchamps.
First, the Noville area. My new line of defence will south of the village.
Second, battalions and companies of CCR in that area will move to rest in Bastogne. An exception is TF Britton, which will hold the high ground east of Noville.
Third, the troops which will spend the night in Bastogne will attack the enemy on the last day, thus supporting the 501 Para Regt and TF O'Hara south of the highway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 25
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 7:31:17 PM   
miya

D6 11:30
On the corps western flank the opponent is still attacking but with much less force. However there is a drawback, artillery fire increases and gets its share. I'm lucky that this is the last day if this scenario would last longer CCB and the para battalions would be on the casualty list.
South of the highway we are making progress. I see a chance to capture Longvilly, which will add nearly another four points to my side.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 26
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 7:44:29 PM   
miya

D6 23:00
I receive a message from Commander 12 Army Group Omar N. Bradley. He sends his congratulations to my decisive victory. The staff officers have been busy counting the toll.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 27
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/17/2011 8:06:46 PM   
miya

The final picture.
Some companies which fight for Recogne are down to 30 men.
CCB is out of supplies, due to a stupid mistake of mine. I moved the depot together with the headquarters unit. They lost all trucks, payload = 0, only 78 men are left.
CCA is still in good shape.
CCR is spread all over the area and took significant losses. Some units formed together with airborne units a taskforce, or fire brigade would be the better term, to fight for Benonchamps.
The 101 Airborne should be withdrawn from combat.
German forces in the woods are out of supply, the marker for the basics shows a very dark brown.

Why is this scenario called "breakout" ? All I did, was to move the front further to the north and east. The new line is quite stable. The americans would need new troops to make a push further north to Houffalize.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 28
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/18/2011 11:23:00 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Congratulations on a hard-fought victory And thank you for the AAR, it's been quite a intense reading.

Those Waffen SS PzGrenadiers are a tough bunch of bastards, indeed.

Regarding your question "why it is called a Breakout". I guess the point is that by securing all the objectives then you "break through", and the posterior exploitation is not covered (but in order to happen you need to achieve the breakthrough).

-----
----

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 29
RE: Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit to... - 12/19/2011 5:00:40 AM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: miya

D6 23:00
I receive a message from Commander 12 Army Group Omar N. Bradley. He sends his congratulations to my decisive victory. The staff officers have been busy counting the toll.

What do actually mean "accident" and "other" in the casualties tabs? Me guesses "reliability" is involved in these?

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Breakout from Bastogne, maybe my plans are a bit too ambitious - Allied Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI