Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Five for Dune

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: Five for Dune Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Five for Dune - 4/4/2012 1:33:33 PM   
Webizen

Quote from Jeff: "If Roy, Jay and Doug just say, hey, good game, after they defeat Phil and I, I don't really see the point of the whole thing."

I understand this sentiment fully and it makes sense. For reasons I stated in a earlier post, the one winner game that allows formal alliances just does not promote that type of play. That said, once you have been eliminated or surrender and are out of the game, it really does not matter any longer what the other players do. They may choose to slug it out, or simply declare the player with the highest VP the winner (and the other players surrender to make that person the "single" winner). I have yet to participate in a "single" winner game that has actually gone the distance (other than 1vs1 games). If such a game did play out I envision it as sort of a king of the hill game. Player A is on top VP wise, pick on him. Several turns later Player B is on top, so everyone jump on him. Several turns after that Player C is now leading, so lets jump on him. Oh, wait! Player A is on top again so everyone attack him.

Tac2i

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 91
RE: Five for Dune - 4/4/2012 3:42:33 PM   
SailingGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen
If such a game did play out I envision it as sort of a king of the hill game. Player A is on top VP wise, pick on him. Several turns later Player B is on top, so everyone jump on him. Several turns after that Player C is now leading, so lets jump on him. Oh, wait! Player A is on top again so everyone attack him.

Exactly what I was hoping for.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs.
~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 92
RE: Five for Dune - 4/5/2012 4:03:29 AM   
hadley

Hey, Guys!

Sorry for the delay. I was sick all last week, so when I returned to work I got a crap load dumped on me. My trip was extended two days. Good to be home! Turn to REI!

~ Doug

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 93
RE: Five for Dune - 4/7/2012 4:21:53 AM   
jreid

When I opened my turn, I received a message that Burgundy had wiped his log book.

That's me, so I don't know what happened there. How could I wipe my log book if I just opened my turn?

I'm running the game on a different computer now, so perhaps that was it.

It looks like Roy and Jay are teaming up and will side against Doug at some point. Something to think about

Anyway, turn to Jay

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 94
RE: Five for Dune - 4/7/2012 5:03:40 AM   
SailingGuy

I will be out of town from now until next Wednesday. Sorry for the delay.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to jreid)
Post #: 95
RE: Five for Dune - 4/12/2012 1:37:08 PM   
SailingGuy

Turn to Webizen.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 96
RE: Five for Dune - 4/22/2012 8:20:39 PM   
SailingGuy

Turn to Web.

I think if you mix jeeps with armored you still get the "wheel" movement class. Probably a bug.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 97
RE: Five for Dune - 4/27/2012 2:21:25 AM   
SailingGuy

Turn to Webizen.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 98
RE: Five for Dune - 5/4/2012 3:29:53 PM   
hadley

Anyone heard from Jay? You out there Jay? ~ Doug

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 99
RE: Five for Dune - 5/4/2012 4:23:45 PM   
hadley

Just saw that turn 34e to Jay is in the dropbox; however, there is a turn 34d to Jay in the archive folder. Is there a chance that 34e isn't to Jay, but rather, maybe, should be turn 34e to SAI? And what if this is the reason that no one has played a turn in a while? And what if d-o-g really spelled cat? Just contemplating the mysteries of the universe...

Happy Hunting! ~ Doug

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 100
RE: Five for Dune - 5/4/2012 4:26:25 PM   
hadley

I FINALLY GOT A STAR!!!

Happy Hunting! ~ Doug

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 101
RE: Five for Dune - 5/8/2012 12:19:41 AM   
hadley

Turn to Jeff aka jreid... ~ Hadley

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 102
RE: Five for Dune - 5/10/2012 10:08:36 PM   
Jay Doubleyou

For the sake of the game everyone at Dune wakes up in a new reality....

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 103
RE: Five for Dune - 5/10/2012 10:27:32 PM   
hadley

Jay?! What did you do, Jay?! NOT the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man!!!

(in reply to Jay Doubleyou)
Post #: 104
RE: Five for Dune - 5/11/2012 2:58:49 AM   
jreid

I'm looking forward to seeing what these statments mean

I was in the middle of my grand counter attack, when I saw these oil cans on the map. I have never seen these before.

I soon found out that I was out of oil. Time for cavalry charges

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 105
RE: Five for Dune - 5/13/2012 1:02:14 AM   
Webizen

Good game gentlemen!

@Jay and Doug: Thanks for you help in countering the very skillful offensive launched against me by my good friend and worthy opponent Jeff.

@Jay: I could see your next "play" coming. Well done! Since this is a single winner game, there was not much to be gained by letting me continue to grow stronger.

Given the current state of affairs I have surrendered. Before doing so I gave everything I had to the Sultinate.

Best of luck with remainder of the game...

Tac2i

(in reply to jreid)
Post #: 106
RE: Five for Dune - 5/13/2012 11:42:14 AM   
SailingGuy

quote:

Given the current state of affairs I have surrendered. Before doing so I gave everything I had to the Sultinate.

Code of Conduct:
2) Transfer of units/territory/resources to an ally is not allowed in any case.

Oooopsie!

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 107
RE: Five for Dune - 5/13/2012 7:34:37 PM   
hadley

quote:

ORIGINAL: SailingGuy

quote:

Code of Conduct:

Oooopsie!

So, I opened my turn, saw what had transpired, realized that perhaps I shouldn't have all this stuff, decided to check the forum and found the above post. So now what?

Since Roy had the last turn, should he replay the turn and not transfer anything? OR... I'm perfectly fine with keeping it all! If Roy does replay the turn, I think he should have the opportunity to reconsider his surrender. (I for one, obviously the only one, really wants him to stay! )

I've since closed my turn, without making any moves, until this issue gets resolved. I'll await the verdict...

Happy Hunting each other... ~ Doug

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 108
RE: Five for Dune - 5/13/2012 8:22:37 PM   
Jay Doubleyou

It would be (very) nice if Roy replays his turn, because transferring everything to The Sultinate inbalances the game too much.

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 109
RE: Five for Dune - 5/14/2012 1:48:14 AM   
Webizen

My bad... too many games going to remember all those things. Replayed my turn and did not surrender.

Let the wars continue... oh, and lesson learned: when playing a single winner game and it is necessary for your ally to enter your lands, don't leave your cities/resource hexes devoid of protection. It can come back to bite you!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SailingGuy

quote:

Code of Conduct:

Oooopsie!

< Message edited by Webizen -- 5/15/2012 3:40:38 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 110
RE: Five for Dune - 5/31/2012 7:21:42 PM   
Jay Doubleyou

next turn in dropbox, sorry for delay.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 111
RE: Five for Dune - 6/12/2012 9:21:44 PM   
Jay Doubleyou

Hi guys,
I decided to surrender this round. I grew tired of random games a few months ago and this was the only one I had still running. I'm about to go on a 3 week summer holiday and I don't have the motivation to pick it up after that.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but I'm sure you will either call a winner or fight with 3 against the next strongest now I'm gone.
Grtz
Jay

Post #: 112
RE: Five for Dune - 6/13/2012 2:35:33 PM   
SailingGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jay Doubleyou

Hi guys,
I decided to surrender this round. I grew tired of random games a few months ago and this was the only one I had still running. I'm about to go on a 3 week summer holiday and I don't have the motivation to pick it up after that.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but I'm sure you will either call a winner or fight with 3 against the next strongest now I'm gone.
Grtz
Jay

A lot of us have invested many hours in this game. It's one thing when a player in last place quits, quite another when someone vying for first place quits. By surrendering, you have essentially given the game to Sultinate. Sad, considering that this game was just getting interesting again.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

Post #: 113
RE: Five for Dune - 6/13/2012 11:23:08 PM   
hadley

I was surprised and disappointed as well to see that Jay surrendered. However, I'm not as confident as you are, Phil, that the Sultinate has been handed the game. As I view the map and what is now up for grabs, I see Eastern Empire as having a real opportunity to do some damage. Is it possible that we "undo" Jay's surrender and give his forces to someone else, say, like Phil? I'm sure he would give us his password. Thoughts...?

Happy Hunting! ~ Doug

PS~ If I win, and I still see that as a big "if", I don't want people to say it was because Jay quit. I want it to be because I earned it.

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 114
RE: Five for Dune - 6/14/2012 2:56:27 PM   
SailingGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadley
PS~ If I win, and I still see that as a big "if", I don't want people to say it was because Jay quit. I want it to be because I earned it.

Yes, I think you may have been the one most effected by the surrender. The nagging question will remain: "Could he have won the game if EE had continued playing?"

I'd rather not take over the EE position. Perhaps adding someone new to the mix would be better.

I'm on the road today, so probably won't have a chance to handle any of this until tomorrow. Any thoughts from any of the remaining players?

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 115
RE: Five for Dune - 6/14/2012 4:34:58 PM   
hadley

I got my players mixed up. For some reason I was thinking that Jay was Germania and that Germania had surrendered. Brain fart? EE surrendering is quite a different scenario. I'm not sure what Reid still has hidden under his shroud, I know what Roy has, Phil is just about done. (I think... Finishing Phil has been like trying to kill the Terminator; He just won't die!) I'm still no where near ready to claim victory. I haven't played this game for a long time, but long enough to know that things can change in an instant. That's why I love the game! I'm on board with whatever you all decide...

Happy Hunting! ~ Doug

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 116
RE: Five for Dune - 6/16/2012 3:24:23 AM   
jreid

I think you mean that I was just about done

It was a fun game, everyone. Thanks to all

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 117
RE: Five for Dune - 6/16/2012 3:37:35 AM   
Webizen

I'm still out of town helping my mom get settled after dad's passing. Re current state of game, I believe it's over. Sultinate most likely would be the final winner. Don't believe Phil and I have the combat power to prevail. Jeff is done for and is to dangerous a player to be allowed to reestablish himself.

Tac2i

(in reply to hadley)
Post #: 118
RE: Five for Dune - 6/16/2012 1:47:50 PM   
SailingGuy

I really felt that I had a chance to stage a comeback by playing Eastern Empire off of the Sultinate. It was going to be a long shot, but it was going to be fun.

What a shame that an interesting game is ruined by one player losing interest.

Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 119
RE: Five for Dune - 6/17/2012 2:22:04 PM   
hadley

Man, I had everyone confused! Sorry to hear about your dad, Roy. May God's peace be with you and your mom. Since it appears we've called the game, I'm interested to see how close it actually was. I believe that I was about to deliver a big blow to EE. Everything he had that previously belonged to Roy was supplied from the south. It was like a big tree growing out of his original territory. My strategy was to cut down the tree at the base. I had a strong force that I believe would have accomplished that within the next two turns. I also had developed tank destroyers and had them within this force. I had also managed to keep this force in supply by building a road as we went. I'm not sure that this would have won the game, but I believe that we would have pushed him back south while taking a substantial portion of his force out. I also had a nice strategic bomber force ready to move into range of his production cities once the above had been accomplished. Would love to know if Jay could have countered this. Just for fun, I'm going to put a screenshot of my final map in dropbox if anyone is interested in taking a look. Would love to have your feedback about my "Plan".

I really enjoyed this game. Was my first one that went longer than 15 rounds. Thanks for what you all taught me. I look forward to the next game!

Happy Hunting! ~ Doug

(in reply to SailingGuy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: Five for Dune Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI