I can confirm the unbalance in the england invasion mechanic.
I've been playing as both axis and allies from the start to check the balance. Since turn 1 Germany has much more pps than UK and is able to build more fighters and subs.
Playing to the best of my abilities and attacking on historical dates these are my conclusions:
- Poland falls in 4 turns
- France (with BEF) falls in 2,5 months - longer then IRL
On a whole I believe TOF got land and air-land combat excellent with minor problems
But then I try to simulate Sea Lion:
1. I load the german troops and bring german navy to the channel
2. Luftwaffe obtains air supremacy within 1-2 turns (since it has more fighters)
3. as UK I bring all fleets from atlantic to the channel, attack german fleet but don't do much damage
4. on the german turn I decimate the UK fleet with understrength TAC. 1 cv, 1 bb, several cruisers destroyed, most ship units heavily damaged. Casualties to Luftwaffe - none. I had commanders assigned to both sides.
5. Landings go with no problem, Dover is capturesd, UK land troops are no match for wehrmacht. That panzercorps destroys everything in its path (that's another unbalance story)
6. UK fleet needs to retreat while german fleet can stay in the channel and enjoy
7. German supply convoys cant be hurt and London falls quickly
What to do?
Germany needs to be able to do amphs, they did it in Norway and theories say they could do it in UK. The real problem is the casualties they would sustain disembarking and supplying the forces.
I believe the biggest problem is air to sea combat. German bombers easily killing UK fleets is unrealistic. Historically they only destroyed a few DDs during Dunkirk. Air supremacy alone shouldnt be enough for a successful sea lion. Ships had AA, they should be able to defend themselves. Also I think amph cost and STP for armoured and mecha should be strongly increased. Also, even with PPs from colonies UK is no match for german production.
About the events:
- 300 PPs for occupying France seem like overkill
- no event for UK to symbolize drafting in case of invasion. All I got were weak troops returning from france
Sea Lion was impossible IRL. In TOF it should be hardly possible for a very capable german player against a weak UK player (or AI). BTW, if If I made a major mistake playing as UK sorry for the post but I don't think so. I've been careful about the time at sea, commanders and fighting the german subs. 90% of UK military production went to the island and I built fighters mostly