Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Question on Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Game - 12/12/2011 11:20:45 AM   
demjansk

I noticed this game a while back and was wondering if it is a more difficult game than Time of Fury which I don't have or is it similar to TOAW3 by Norm Koger? I do have war in the east also.
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Game - 12/12/2011 2:43:52 PM   
Wolfe

In my opinion WtP is a bit more difficult than ToF but a lot easier than TOAW3 and WitE.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Game - 12/12/2011 2:44:32 PM   
sandman2575

Definitely more difficult -- and in my opinion, far more enjoyable -- than Time of Fury.  Just my own taste, of course, but I found Time of Fury terrible -- far too simplistic, and in essence a watered-down, turn-based imitation of Hearts of Iron.  Decisive Campaigns is much deeper, much more challenging and much more satisfying.

Can't speak to TOAW (as I don't own it), but in some ways DC is comparable to War in the East.  I find that it's possible to enjoy both games equally -- not a situation of one being better than the other.  The scale of DC is far less massive than the scale of the grand campaign in WitE -- although the scale of the Fall Weiss in DC is comparable to some of the WitE individual scenarios.  I found Fall Weiss in DC harder and 'bigger' than, say, the "Road to Minsk" scenario in WitE.

If you like WitE, I'd say there's a strong chance you will like DC as well.  They are both fantastic, well-crafted games.

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Game - 12/13/2011 1:46:44 AM   
wodin

Are losses at an individual soldier level or steps?

Always a bugbear for me steps. I prefer wargames that take into account individual soldiers rather than abstract step losses.

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Game - 12/13/2011 4:04:58 AM   
sandman2575

^ wodin, the game calculates losses by certain (very reasonable, imo) ratios for different units.  So for example, losses of infantry are calculated by units of 100.  If your regiment starts with 4000 infantrymen, and it is involved in a battle, it essentially has 40 infantry 'units' on the table (40x100).  The combat resolution based on a maximum of 10 Rounds -- it's actually much more detailed than I can present it here (and if you want, you can open a "details" window which will give you very specific information for what happened each round).  So lets say during the battle, of your 40 infantry units after 10 Rounds, 14 are forced to retreat, and 2 are destroyed.  The retreated units do not suffer manpower loss, but will impact the overall Regiment's stats in other ways (hits to unit Morale, Integrity, Readiness, if i'm not mistaken -- although units that Panic may indeed suffer manpower loss, but not sure offhand).  But since 2 units were destroyed, you've lost 200 infantrymen, and your Regiment will now have 3800 infantry.  (This is to say nothing about the other elements that make up your Infantry regiment TOE -- like say MG-34 squads or mortar teams or armored cars -- which are of course 'on the table' during combat and can suffer losses in the same way i've described here -- only the "ratio" is different.  The ratio for tanks is I believe x5 -- so if you have 35 Pz-III's in your panzer regiment, and it's in combat and 1 unit is 'killed' , you now have 30 Pz-IIIs).

So losses are not quite calculated at the level of individual soldiers (like in WitE), but the casualties are calculated in much more realistic fashion than 'steps' or something like that. 

< Message edited by sandman2575 -- 12/13/2011 4:06:26 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on Game - 12/13/2011 8:53:04 AM   
wodin

Thanks for the reply. Sounds interesting, a sort of halway between both mechanics.

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Question on Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI