Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

learning curve

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> learning curve Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
learning curve - 12/10/2011 11:50:37 AM   
Ronster

Is John Tiller's battleground games easy to learn or is there a steep learning curve? I am thinkg about purchasing this game and wonder if it compares to his newly released game Liepzig? Does Waterloo have a lot of scenarios and would it be suggested for a begginer for this series?
Post #: 1
RE: learning curve - 12/10/2011 4:38:45 PM   
rhondabrwn

Easy to learn / tough to master. These games can be played on multiple levels depending on the kind of experience you want. You can just blast away and enjoy the excellent graphics and sounds or you can use realistic tactics for a very deep gaming experience.

I play the HPS versions extensively because they have huge maps and hundreds of scenarios plus a campaign mode that lets you play multiple linked games. The graphics aren't nearly as good as the original Talonsoft games now sold by Matrix.

For value you cannot beat the Matrix packages! I'd go with Matrix, try them out first. If you love them as I do then you can try the HPS series.

All the games have multiple scenarios... not as many as the HPS games though. Lots of gaming clubs around for the HPS series with User created mods and scenarios.

Final note - the AI is terrible unless you like to walkover the enemy. You will never lose against the AI so I always play myself on the head to head setting or else via email against a live opponent.

Hope this helps

(in reply to Ronster)
Post #: 2
RE: learning curve - 12/10/2011 4:41:49 PM   
barker

These games are a great time. Chickamauga has the editor so you can edit the OOB'd. For Gettysburg there is a map viewer that show show the terrain and such. You will really enjoy these titles. I have had them for years then upgraded to the Matrix Edition and never looked back. I am going to assume you will do the same. Have a great time war gaming

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 3
RE: learning curve - 12/10/2011 4:57:37 PM   
rhondabrwn

Didn't answer everything.

The Civil War series is easier to start with. Napoleonic tactics are more complex, you have skirmishers to manage, a more complex order of battle to deal with, cavalry charge rules, the square formation etc

No, you don't get the same level of detail as Tiller's Leipzig game. He has taken the series to a new level of detailed information and supporting docs from the looks of it (don't own it). You can get the HPS games discounted at the NWS Gaming Store on-line but not the new games that Tiller is selling as direct downloads with DRM that is a bit unpopular with a lot of folks used to the very open copy protection (None) on the HPS line.

(in reply to Ronster)
Post #: 4
RE: learning curve - 12/10/2011 5:51:31 PM   
Andy Moss

I agree. Easy to learn. Intuitive interface. You can make them as complicated as you want if you want to go into the minutae of all the various modifyers for shooting and attack, but most really are applied common sense. I picked it up very quickly. There are still add-ons available to expand the games. The HPS/Tiller games take it to a new level indeed and address some of the annoying limitations of BG games which you will find in due course. I love both series. When you are familiar with the engine you may want to play by email as the AI is pretty dumb. Very good value for money, I've been playing them for over 10 years now.

(in reply to Ronster)
Post #: 5
RE: learning curve - 12/11/2011 12:53:30 AM   
pacwar

Some of these answers addressed my question about his new Leipzig game...doesn't sound like anyone has tried it out yet...the comments on how dumb the AI is raised some red flags...I hate playing against myself and i don't have time for play by mail...I guess the only hope is that the AI in the Leipzig game has been improved from earlier versions...

db

(in reply to Andy Moss)
Post #: 6
RE: learning curve - 12/11/2011 7:03:55 AM   
lordhoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Easy to learn / tough to master. These games can be played on multiple levels depending on the kind of experience you want. You can just blast away and enjoy the excellent graphics and sounds or you can use realistic tactics for a very deep gaming experience.

I play the HPS versions extensively because they have huge maps and hundreds of scenarios plus a campaign mode that lets you play multiple linked games. The graphics aren't nearly as good as the original Talonsoft games now sold by Matrix.

For value you cannot beat the Matrix packages! I'd go with Matrix, try them out first. If you love them as I do then you can try the HPS series.

All the games have multiple scenarios... not as many as the HPS games though. Lots of gaming clubs around for the HPS series with User created mods and scenarios.

Final note - the AI is terrible unless you like to walkover the enemy. You will never lose against the AI so I always play myself on the head to head setting or else via email against a live opponent.

Hope this helps
Ditto that - exactly what I was thinking.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 7
RE: learning curve - 12/11/2011 8:43:41 AM   
Ronster

I appreciate all the answers. With this Matrix sale I can afford a game now. I am torn between this Battleground Napoleonic series or the John Tiller campaign series. I am still on the fence about which one to buy.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 8
RE: learning curve - 12/11/2011 10:21:20 AM   
Andy Moss

quote:

I guess the only hope is that the AI in the Leipzig game has been improved from earlier versions...

No

(in reply to Ronster)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> learning curve Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI