Pioniere uber alles ?

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

PKH

Pioniere uber alles ?

Post by PKH »

I feel both PC and the originals suffer from the fact that the engineers are by far the best option for infantry. IMO, this is bad both from a historic and from a gameplay perspective. An idea I think could be interesting is to change engineers so that they instead of ignoring entrenchment, would significantly reduce the entrenchment level of attacked units, and also do more suppression than damage. This would make it more effective to use engineers together with other infantry. If others have thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them.
Rood

RE: Pioniere uber alles ?

Post by Rood »

I can't say that I feel the game suffers from the way engineers are implemented but all my infantry is engineer. I've played with other setups aswell for example using more para or mountain units, however I always come back to the engineers.

Engineers are not holy though, the lack of soft attack values, initiative and especially movement makes them good for mostly one thing only and that is attacking entrenched units and forts.
And most of the time I always surpress an enemy unit (or reduce it's strenght with air attacks) before I sent in the engineers. Most of the time the engineers have less initiave than the unit they attacks so if they are not surpressed they will take too many losses.

Engineers are very strong in some aspects and weak(er) in others so for me it balances out.
AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

Most of my Inf are Pioniere but a good part are Grenadiere and Mountain. So I could use my Inf more
versatile.Certain circumstances asking for certain Inf and my losses dropped also.[:)]
I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.
William Tecumseh Sherman
andrewmazlim

Post by andrewmazlim »

Pionieres & Grenadieres are BY FAR the best infantry - but you need a couple of Paras, too.
"Never in the field of human conflict, has so much, been owed by so many, to so few!"
Three4Flinching

Post by Three4Flinching »

I have been wondering about the difference between the Grenadier and the Pioniere. The only thing I could see by the stats is thta Grenadieres have 1 more in initiative and that Pioneres cost more. I found that strange until I read this post. Where is the information that says that Pionieres are able to avoid entrenchments, is there another info screen about the units?

Threre are other units with similar differences that I can not figure out the advantages with one over the other. 
AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

I´m thinking about buying a para... or a second recon.
I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Rood

Post by Rood »

ORIGINAL: Three4Flinching

I have been wondering about the difference between the Grenadier and the Pioniere. The only thing I could see by the stats is thta Grenadieres have 1 more in initiative and that Pioneres cost more. I found that strange until I read this post. Where is the information that says that Pionieres are able to avoid entrenchments, is there another info screen about the units?

Threre are other units with similar differences that I can not figure out the advantages with one over the other. 

Many units have traits, which mean they have a special capability which is (unfortunately) not always directly apparent from the unit screen. To see all units and their traits it is best to open the equipment.pzeqp file in the Data subdirectory of the PzC installation directory.
Three4Flinching

Post by Three4Flinching »

Hmm, thats unfortunate, hard to make a tactical decision when you do not have all the unit information available. Hope they will adress this in a later patch.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

Wait until you get a standard infantry with 1 or 2 plus 1 movement heroes. They can keep up with the Panthers!
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: AbeSimpson

I´m thinking about buying a para... or a second recon.

Rent your paratroopers. Buy the recon. [:)]
AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

That´s what I did. :D
William Tecumseh Sherman
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Your missing out on the big picture if you don't use regular infantry.

they can immediately attack forward troops and make way for the panzers. They can even dislodge the enemy.
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

ORIGINAL: Rood

Many units have traits, which mean they have a special capability which is (unfortunately) not always directly apparent from the unit screen. To see all units and their traits it is best to open the equipment.pzeqp file in the Data subdirectory of the PzC installation directory.

I looked equipment.pzeqp in version 1.05 and I see that Fallschirmjäger also have the ability "fortkiller"...
In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis...
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
cato13

Post by cato13 »

ORIGINAL: Rood

would the german 88 be an example of this? pak 38's have better anti tank stats than it but it sure does a good job of nailing tanks.
artofwar85

Post by artofwar85 »

I tend to loath engineers because of there lack of movement when on foot. But then when I attack with them I yawn cause they always seem to dominate - though I use only like 2 units of them. It is great the pros are always lurking around here giving us vital info that I'm too unlearned to find like this pzeqp file and its nice to know they could get more movement by being a hero. Of course I knew there capabilities because having played this genre for years it is imperitive to have some engees Three4flinchy yeah they should have had better documentation or at least a statement of how to find this pzsnitzle file.
There is a Peace that is only found at the other end of War.
artofwar85

Post by artofwar85 »

I just ran across a forum at Slitherine that also addresses this issue there is a .pdf showing unit stats I'm to lazy ... busy to check out the mentioned on here equipment stats file but the link to this like 18 page !!! unit stat .pdf is:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=31033

Of course soon as it was posted people began complaining about its format ... lmao VPaulus has already addressed that and Updated it having to take time out of his life to do it but anyway this may help too along with the equiptment file mentioned here it may be now impossible to decide what to do when and what to buy thats the whole point right ???[:)]
There is a Peace that is only found at the other end of War.

Return to “Panzer Corps”