New HPS Releases

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Yogi the Great

New HPS Releases

Post by Yogi the Great »

New release posted at HPS

Added in edit after release posted on HPS also below

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Titanwarrior89

RE: New HPS Release

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I have all the others so I may have to check this one out.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I have all the others so I may have to check this one out.

Thinking about picking this one up but never played any of the others...care to share your experiences and how the game plays?
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

I've bought all of the previous games and, even though the game graphics are minimalistic (2D and 3D views are available but, IMHO, the 3D view is not very funtional and is hard to look at so I always play the games in 2D with 2D counters) and the interface is a little strange, they are the best ancient warfare games I've played. The game operate on a WEGO system where ou and the AI opponent give orders to your units simultaneously and then those orders and played out as a turn. Somehwat similar to the combat mission WW2 games.

The AI is good and is certainly no pushover. There are many different choices available to your units during play and the uncertainty as to whether your units carry out your orders makes for good FoW. For example, you might order a unit to change formation before marching forward into battle, but the AI may have orderd a charge against them, catching them in the process. This will cause your unit to enter melee to protect themselves instead of marching forward which could leave a nice hole in your battle line.

Leaders also play a big role and their leadership ranges can affect the ability of your units to function. For example, a unit out of command may take many times longer to respond to an order, or they may not even respond at all, until you can move a leader to within command range of the unit.

I also have and play FoG which I class as a quick and lite game, whereas these games are very detailed, difficult to play at first, don't have flashy graphics and suffer from a quirky user interface but are much more rewarding if you put the effort in.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: mgarnett

I've bought all of the previous games and, even though the game graphics are minimalistic (2D and 3D views are available but, IMHO, the 3D view is not very funtional and is hard to look at so I always play the games in 2D with 2D counters) and the interface is a little strange[...]
For those who may suspect that I'm a closet-agent here to promote HPS sims, please note that I've simply scorched that 3D-view, here, and elsewhere. But, that's not the good news. Rather, the developer/publisher appears to have paid a modicum of attention to our complaints, the result being a zoomed-in 2D view that's been included in the most recent patch for the "Panzer Campaign" games. And please don't take my comments to mean that they did so on my account. IMHO, they did so because the current state of affairs, graphically-speaking, is simply unacceptable.
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Here's another just posted, has been mentioned in earlier thread about pre-release

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
berto

Post by berto »

Better graphics are nice (good 2D alone is acceptable), but ...

... The game operate on a WEGO system where ou and the AI opponent give orders to your units simultaneously and then those orders and played out as a turn ...

The AI is good and is certainly no pushover. There are many different choices available to your units during play and the uncertainty as to whether your units carry out your orders makes for good FoW. For example, you might order a unit to change formation before marching forward into battle, but the AI may have orderd a charge against them, catching them in the process. This will cause your unit to enter melee to protect themselves instead of marching forward which could leave a nice hole in your battle line.

Leaders also play a big role and their leadership ranges can affect the ability of your units to function. For example, a unit out of command may take many times longer to respond to an order, or they may not even respond at all, until you can move a leader to within command range of the unit ...
... WOW! [X(] Sounds fantastic. For the HPS/JTS lineup of games, exactly what the doctor ordered.

Ancient conflicts are not my area of interest, but I'd consider buying this game if only to experience what you describe. I had always thought that the HPS ancients series were very much like your standard cut-and-dried JT games. Good to know I was wrong.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

ORIGINAL: berto

Better graphics are nice (good 2D alone is acceptable), but ...

... The game operate on a WEGO system where ou and the AI opponent give orders to your units simultaneously and then those orders and played out as a turn ...

Leaders also play a big role and their leadership ranges can affect the ability of your units to function. For example, a unit out of command may take many times longer to respond to an order, or they may not even respond at all, until you can move a leader to within command range of the unit ...
... WOW! [X(] Sounds fantastic. For the HPS/JTS lineup of games, exactly what the doctor ordered.

Ancient conflicts are not my area of interest, but I'd consider buying this game if only to experience what you describe. I had always thought that the HPS ancients series were very much like your standard cut-and-dried JT games. Good to know I was wrong.

Hi berto,

These games are an acquired taste and it's easy to be turned off them due to the quirky interface and poor (but functional 2D graphics), but if you stick with them you won't be dissapointed. These games aren't written by Tiller, although I do like his games well, but by another designer named Paul Brufell (I think) and so they do have that element of difference from the main HPS game series.

I'm a real fan of the WEGO system (which was also used in the Tin Soldiers games here on Matrix, another great series of games) due to the uncertainty it provides. It really works for ancients warfare much better than the traditional I go, you go type systems.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Over on Wargamer, "some" are not finding a pleasant experience with Tigers Unleashed. You might want to read up before you take the plunge. I was ready to buy TU, but I'm waiting for a little more feedback.

I loved Panthers in The Shadows, and hopefully this TU will surpass that venerable title.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I guess I'll wait some 7 years with buying it[:D]. By the way, could someone ask them at Wargamer if it's moddable?
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I have all the games in this series.....excellent series.  Bought it and now playing it.[&o] Their down load went great and one of the easiest I have had.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I would say you have hit the nail on the head. I would recommend this one and the FOG series to anyone interested in this period of history.

I've bought all of the previous games and, even though the game graphics are minimalistic (2D and 3D views are available but, IMHO, the 3D view is not very funtional and is hard to look at so I always play the games in 2D with 2D counters) and the interface is a little strange, they are the best ancient warfare games I've played. The game operate on a WEGO system where ou and the AI opponent give orders to your units simultaneously and then those orders and played out as a turn. Somehwat similar to the combat mission WW2 games.

Leaders also play a big role and their leadership ranges can affect the ability of your units to function. For example, a unit out of command may take many times longer to respond to an order, or they may not even respond at all, until you can move a leader to within command range of the unit.

I also have and play FoG which I class as a quick and lite game, whereas these games are very detailed, difficult to play at first, don't have flashy graphics and suffer from a quirky user interface but are much more rewarding if you put the effort in.

Cheers

Mark

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Roman Civil Wars is available at Naval Warfare Simulations for $29. As a matter of fact, they are offering all HPS titles on sale. But no DDL.

These ancient games are great for detail but the larger battles are extremely tedious and time consuming to play. The smaller battles are much easier to manage. Unless you are interested in ancient warfare I'd think twice about buying one of these titles. I own them all, and though rarely play them, I'm glad they are in my game library just so I can tinker with them from time to time. These are definately the most detailed ancient games so far but may not be everyone's cup of tea.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Over on Wargamer, "some" are not finding a pleasant experience with Tigers Unleashed. You might want to read up before you take the plunge. I was ready to buy TU, but I'm waiting for a little more feedback.

I loved Panthers in The Shadows, and hopefully this TU will surpass that venerable title.

Yep, I think the most common problem people are experiencing is that on some systems, if you do not install into the default directory the game is unable to create/find the maps to start a scenario. You can resolve this by either uninstalling and installing into the default directory or finding a folder called HPS Shared (installed into the directory you chose during installation) and then copying the contents of that directory into the TU directory.

Not ideal as there is obviously something wrong with the installer, but it should get people up and running until a revised installer/patch is released.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Do you people who own the HPS/John Tiller games ever play over the internet? That seems like a decent way to play, if pulled off correctly.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Do you people who own the HPS/John Tiller games ever play over the internet? That seems like a decent way to play, if pulled off correctly.

I've played played a few games PBEM but life is just too busy now. I don't get nearly as much time on the computer as I would like and when I do, it's usually in short bursts so I mostly end up just playing the AI.
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I just posted on Wargamer - and would like any views of people who don't frequent there...

What is the pull of this game, because I've seen screenshots and I think it looks terrible. I could not imagine anything worse in my gaming life than sitting in front of my computer and firing this game up and being presented with that interface.

So what's in it that makes it so desireable?
Alba gu' brath
DerGrenadier

Post by DerGrenadier »

Great
[center]Image
[center]

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I just posted on Wargamer - and would like any views of people who don't frequent there...

What is the pull of this game, because I've seen screenshots and I think it looks terrible. I could not imagine anything worse in my gaming life than sitting in front of my computer and firing this game up and being presented with that interface.

JD,

The hope is that this is the spritual upgarde to Panthers in the Shadows, and Tigers on the Prowl. Point of Attack 2 was/is modern warfare, which is way over my head to grasp tactical use of modern equipment.

I played the heck out of PITS and TOP. They had TONS of scenarios. It doesn't seem to be the case with TU as of release. I am personally really dissapointed that TU is looking like it's going to have serious growing problems. I really hope Scott Hamilton will bring this title up to the potential that "I" percieve it should have.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
dougb

Post by dougb »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Unfortunately with my brief experience with the game so far, it not only looks terrible but it's not very much fun at all. It's the type of product only a weapons system expert or a chartered accountant could really love.

I played scenario 1 as the Polish attempting to hold a cross roads. I stopped after 9 turns of nothing happening. Each turn that I played I would receive reports in detail of all the 'nothing' that was happening: the sighting phases where nothing was sighted, the firing phases were no firing was occurring, the movement phases were no movement was occurring.

Now it's possible that the enjoyment of the game will improve with experience - at least I fervently hope so! But the 0 out of 10 presentation and the lack of a decent interface doesn't make me very optimistic.

It's a shame because one can see the opportunity for something special if they were able to apply the same design principles that Panther Games did to the Command Ops series - namely ensuring that there's a good game there along with the simulation.

Doug

Return to “General Discussion”