Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 7:33:34 PM   
sath

I was going at it and it would seem that I get about 4k Russian planes killed in the air base strikes of turn 1. I know about the 50% distance flown thing and this has to be what is greatly reducing the number of Russian planes killed. Is this what is intended and what further impact will this have on game play as going forward. This is like a 30-40% reduction in Russian planes killed on turn 1. Unless I'm doing something very wrong.
Post #: 1
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 7:36:37 PM   
Joel Billings

Based on historical stats you are still doing better than my understanding of the historical losses. You're not doing anything wrong.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 2
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 8:51:04 PM   
sath

The thing of it is the Russian's lost about 4-5k during the first week but also continued to take heavy losses in planes following the first week which will almost not happen in WITE. I mean not close to the scale that happened historically.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 8:57:53 PM   
Ketza

There are a couple of things you can do different to increase Soviet airframe kills that involve a different way of starting the Axis turn.

Typically the Axis launches all of his air attacks first then switches to land attacks. If you mix it up a bit more you get better results.

1) Change your air settings to turn off GS and crank up fighter intercept to 150% or more.

2) Launch your initial border land assaults. You will notice a considerable amount of Soviet planes being downed by your fighters as easy kills that attempt to fly ground support.

3) Create a few narrow lanes to advance some of your airbases forward into former Soviet occupied territory.

4) You will now notice Soviet airfields are open to air attack much deeper then before. Everything by Smolensk is attackable as well as Leningrad. Now is when you bomb the airfields.

5) Finish your land attacks and exploitation. Overrun as many airfields as possible to clear out the damaged airframes.

Using this slight change in the opening turn leads to on average 4.5 to 5k Soviet airframes killed as well as a large increase in Axis fighter experience from easy air to air kills.

< Message edited by Ketza -- 12/9/2011 8:58:41 PM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 9:47:45 PM   
sath

I'm not certain that I'm going to be pro enough just yet organize all of that. All that for an extra 500-1000 planes killed. I'm all ready concerned about the higher axis tank attrition even before starting.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 5
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 9:57:49 PM   
Ketza

Well it did take a bit of practice to pull it off :)

The 2 biggest bonuses are fighter experience gains as well as being able to destroy more Il-4s and recon planes that are typically not within reach.

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 6
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 10:55:09 PM   
gingerbread

I can understand making the effort in order to hit Il-4's, but recon? Or maybe it me not flying enough recon missions so I don't feel particularly short in planes.
In any case, good move.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 7
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/9/2011 11:51:32 PM   
JAMiAM

Well...with the 1.05.42 patch, you can pretty much not worry about the recon planes. Their losses have been tripled, so they'll end up killing themselves. I lose about 40-60 of them a turn now, when playing as Axis...

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 8
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/10/2011 12:03:11 AM   
Flaviusx

Y'know, you could always fly fewer recon missions, James. You really don't need to put out 1000 recon missions a turn. Or even a tenth of that.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 9
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/10/2011 12:06:37 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Y'know, you could always fly fewer recon missions, James. You really don't need to put out 1000 recon missions a turn. Or even a tenth of that.

I don't think I've ever flown more than 600 in a turn. I need to leave some room for ground attacks within the 1000 battle limit...

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 10
RE: first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 - 12/10/2011 1:15:42 AM   
Farfarer

Thank you!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

There are a couple of things you can do different to increase Soviet airframe kills that involve a different way of starting the Axis turn.

Typically the Axis launches all of his air attacks first then switches to land attacks. If you mix it up a bit more you get better results.

1) Change your air settings to turn off GS and crank up fighter intercept to 150% or more.

2) Launch your initial border land assaults. You will notice a considerable amount of Soviet planes being downed by your fighters as easy kills that attempt to fly ground support.

3) Create a few narrow lanes to advance some of your airbases forward into former Soviet occupied territory.

4) You will now notice Soviet airfields are open to air attack much deeper then before. Everything by Smolensk is attackable as well as Leningrad. Now is when you bomb the airfields.

5) Finish your land attacks and exploitation. Overrun as many airfields as possible to clear out the damaged airframes.

Using this slight change in the opening turn leads to on average 4.5 to 5k Soviet airframes killed as well as a large increase in Axis fighter experience from easy air to air kills.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> first turn air base attacks under 1.05.45 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI