Matrix Games Forums

Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How about a "Balanced" scenario?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How about a "Balanced" scenario? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How about a "Balanced" scenario? - 12/9/2011 3:10:00 PM   
fbs

Let's face it, war is very seldom fair and balanced. Usually one side has big advantages over the other, so a historical scenario (the kind prefer) will be unbalanced and unfair for one player or the other.

I see people getting annoyed in player-vs-player if the game rules or data are unfair/unbalanced to them, but there are a few ways of avoiding that.

One is this: add to the game a version of selected scenarios (say GC 41-45) that is tweaked for better balance through the war: make the soviets stronger at the beginning and weaker at the end. That can be done without change in the code or the rules - just edit the units to make them stronger/weaker, and perhaps cut a T-34 factory here, perhaps add a Panther factory there. Then keep doing that until the players report having a 50-50% of winning the game.

Non-historical, but probably more fun for competitive play.

< Message edited by fbs -- 12/9/2011 3:24:28 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How about a "Balanced" scenario? - 12/9/2011 3:16:57 PM   
gingerbread

Play two games side by side. Whoever gets to Berlin first is the winner.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 2
RE: How about a "Balanced" scenario? - 12/9/2011 3:43:52 PM   
herwin

Use the victory point system for TK2. About half way through the campaign, the German player gets the choice of being offensive or defensive. If offensive, he goes for it all and gets lots of offensive forces; if defensive, he can't do better than his situation in a month, and gets lots of defensive forces to help him hold the Soviets away from Germany

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 3
RE: How about a "Balanced" scenario? - 12/11/2011 1:38:01 PM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

Let's face it, war is very seldom fair and balanced. Usually one side has big advantages over the other, so a historical scenario (the kind prefer) will be unbalanced and unfair for one player or the other.

I see people getting annoyed in player-vs-player if the game rules or data are unfair/unbalanced to them, but there are a few ways of avoiding that.

One is this: add to the game a version of selected scenarios (say GC 41-45) that is tweaked for better balance through the war: make the soviets stronger at the beginning and weaker at the end. That can be done without change in the code or the rules - just edit the units to make them stronger/weaker, and perhaps cut a T-34 factory here, perhaps add a Panther factory there. Then keep doing that until the players report having a 50-50% of winning the game.

Non-historical, but probably more fun for competitive play.

In scenarios Victory point system does the balancing.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 4
RE: How about a "Balanced" scenario? - 12/11/2011 7:26:58 PM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

In scenarios Victory point system does the balancing.

So if you take the current GC 41-45, would you say that two players with the same ability have 50-50% chance of winning?

It seems to me that in the long term the German player has his work cut out for him - he has one year or two of fun, but then he's doomed.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How about a "Balanced" scenario? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI