Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Grand Campaign V1.00

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> After Action Reports >> RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 5:23:10 AM   
macroeconomics

Just to show how quickly matters can change in ToF. The very next turn after the previous screenshot, which showed the Germans in complete control in Britain, the Luftwaffe spotted what looked to be a RN SS in the Channel. The first Luftwaffe bomber found out that was inaccurate as it was shot out of the sky by carrier based air. As was the next bomber. And the next. In all 12 failed bombing attempts. 12 step losses of Luftwaffe bombers. To add to Germany dismay, the Luftwaffe's attacks on RAF fighters also produced dismal results. The RAF shot down about 10 German fighter step losses and suffered only one loss themselves. The Luftwaffe will be out of action for the next week to replace losses.

But matters can change quickly indeed in ToF. In step the Italians. Where half a dozen German bomber squadrons could not, the Italians did. Their two bomber squadrons flew 4 missions, penetrating heavier carrier air defense than the Germans faced, shooting down three carrier fighters and sank a CV, 5 CAs, 4 SSs and damaged over a dozen other ships. I didn't see that coming.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to macroeconomics)
Post #: 61
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 6:05:34 AM   
Greyshaft

Your screencap at the bottom of page two says the Kreigsmarine has 5BB and 27CA ... does that include captured French ships?

/Greyshaft

Post #: 62
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 7:18:20 AM   
macroeconomics

The Soviet winter offensive has begun. Because of the Soviet early entry, I don't think this winter campaign will necessarily be indicative of how a Winter '41 campaign might play out. The unit densities are lower, the tech levels are lower and importantly, the Germans are closer to their Western Poland & Prussian supply lines.

But for what it's worth, the first thing I noticed is that Soviet units move faster than German units do now. And the Soviet infantry corps that used to have a 65% effectiveness is now at 100%. Which translates into a 3-2 Soviet infantry corps now looking like a 5-2 one. Which is as good as my tech level 1 German infantry corps which rates as 5-1 in this winter weather. So the Russians will start to attrition you. Even your panzer divisions. But your big tech 2 infantry corps are still tougher than the opposition as long as you keep them fully reinforced.

I've pulled about half of the level 2 panzer divisions out of Russia and back to Poland to be upgraded to corps status. They'll be ready to go come March. I'd like to upgrade the remaining panzer divisions but some of them are in the south buttressing the Rumanians, who I don't think will handle this winter very well.

Dominating the center of the front are the Kiev fortifications. In ToF, Kiev not only has the Dnieper river helping it, but it has a bevy of level 3 fortifications and two giant lakes anchoring the north and south ends of its river line. An impressive construct. My plan is to secure the two lakes regions before the spring and then attempt a big encirclement of Kiev come springtime.

Here's the situation in the north, with Riga recently captured and the Soviets getting frisky north of the Dvina River.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 63
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 7:23:17 AM   
macroeconomics

Here's the southern sector:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 64
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 10:45:23 AM   
macroeconomics

Stalingrad Winter 1940 style.

Just before the onset of winter the German 19th Motorized Korps was one of the units operating in the Rumanian sector. It helped clear the area around Odessa and headed east. Seeing an opportunity it dashed ahead and seized the undefended city of Kryvyi Rih (Kryvoi Roi). Its supporting Rumanian units followed, but once winter set it, they were smashed by swirling hordes of Soviet tank divisions. And although the Motorized Korps still drew good supply from the city, it lacked the speed to make a getaway. Soon the followup Soviet infantry surrounded the city and assaulted from six sides. The German defenders repulsed the assault, but won't be able to withstand another one. The lead spearheads of the German relief force, backed by 6 panzer divisions will attempt to reach the surrounded defenders. I don't think they will make it...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 65
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 12:12:41 PM   
HanBarca

Really nice, I like this unexpected twist in usual, boring WWII plot!

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

Post #: 66
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 2:53:23 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
I'm okay with this. It doesn't have to be WitE, which, point in fact, I'm taking a break from. It's a grand strategy title with the big picture in mind.

I'm sad to read this

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 67
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 6:54:14 PM   
gwgardner

I'm really enjoying your AAR. I've never tried Sealion in this game. I'll have to do that next time.

With regard to Sweden coming in on the Axis side, I don't think that is too far-fetched, as the Germans were able to apply immense pressure on the Swedes - witness the Swedes granting the Germans use of their RRs for troop movements.

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 68
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 8:44:18 PM   
macroeconomics

Some snippets from other fronts before we get to the main course:

Finland - Finns had advanced over the Neva River, east of Leningrad. Soviet offensive has now vitrually eliminated this bridgehead, but Finnish forces remain in good order here. Heavy skirmishing around Petsamo, but again Finnish forces appear sufficient to hold that northern city.

Sweden - Has 1 fighter wing near Riga helping the Germans. It's seen action one time.

Sea Lion - Recon indicates RN still has over 60 CAs. Germany has abandoned running convoys across the channel. Too many transport losses. Besides the invasion forces can use local supply from major English cities. British ground forces snuck back and took Leeds. But it is surrounded once again and should fall soon. One hex of Liverpool has been captured and the other besieged. British heavy units sighted - 3 level 1 armor corps which attacked and badly dented a panzer division. Then the big German tech 3 panzer corps came and cleaned them up. RAF now operating from Northern Ireland.

Egypt - Cairo almost surrounded. Some light British forces appearing on the map from the southern Nile. May be event triggered forces returning from conquest of Ethiopia (Italy got an event that it had lost that colony). Recon indicates British forces have heavily garrisoned the Suez canal region.

Balkans - Bulgaria has entered the war as an Axia ally. Both it and Hungary are gearing up for a fight with Yugoslavia. About 10 Italian corps are in the Trieste and Albania regions to assist. Am hoping no German forces will be required here.

Riga Sector of Eastern Front - Soviet attacks here have ceased. German infantry in a tight line. No hex in the line can be attacked from three sides. Soviets form an identical line three hexes away and a standoff ensues. Reminds me a lot of the old Drang Nach Osten/Untentscheiden monster board game by GDW.

Minsk Sector - Germans advancing slowly. Using a tech 2 panzer corps to pick off weaker Soviet infantry units.

Gomel Sector - Gomel garrison, is the only Soviet unit here. Weak German infantry units advancing in a bid to surround the frozen garrison.

Southern Sector - It's not good. Cue the YouTube Hitler rant video.

The panzer relief force pounded its way towards Kryvoi Roi and after two weeks of fierce fighting actually linked up with the beleagured motorized troops. Then bad went to worse. Although they held out longer than expected, the 19th Motorized Korps was destroyed after 3 waves of attacks, two on the final turn. And then the Soviets followed that up by hitting the lead German panzer division (one of the units created from the captured French tanks) from four sides and forcing it to surrender! The rest of the relief force is also virtually surrounded.

But even on the darkest days, sometimes a ray of sunshine appears. When the following German player turn begins, I notice that all of the Soviet forces in this sector have reduced combat factors. The end of snow weather? No. It appears that they are all now drawing local supply from Kryvoi Roi. Which, because it had been besieged for three turns had a local supply value of 1. So now all the nearby Soviet units have a supply value of 1 and an efficiency of 28%. Vengeance is forthcoming!

Still from an objective viewpoint, this sort of situation might warrant a look from the devs. I don't think those troops should have been penalized in that manner. At any rate here is the situation at the start of the German turn:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by macroeconomics -- 12/13/2011 8:46:35 PM >

Post #: 69
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 10:49:57 PM   
Lascar

I am surprised to hear that the Germans no longer need supplies coming through ports in Britain to remain supplied. Are they receiving full supplies from captured English cities?

Historically this seems unlikely. Even after the Allies had liberated most of France they still depended on key ports, such as Antwerp, for supplies from the U.S. and Britain to sustain there forces. Certainly, the Germans are not going to get munitions and other equipment specific supplies from British sources.

< Message edited by Lascar -- 12/13/2011 11:37:25 PM >

Post #: 70
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/13/2011 11:25:46 PM   
macroeconomics

No, the efficiency of the German troops in England is lower now that they have to rely on local supplies. And the local supply level appears to bleed downward the more you use it. But at this point I need to spend my PPs on upgrading armor divisions to corps. I can't afford to spend them on replacing sunk shipping. So the German troops in Britain will have to do with lower supply. If they keep on capturing new cities this will have less of an effect. But as they move into Scotland which has fewer (and smaller) cities it may become a problem. Hopefully British resistance levels will continue to drop.

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 71
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 12:14:24 AM   
macroeconomics

On units gaining experience - All that follows are my guesses on how it works, none of it is proven.

From what I can see, a unit gains from participating in a battle at the rate of 1xp per step loss caused to the enemy. It loses 1 xp for each step of replacements it receives. So if a fighter squadron shoots down 1 step loss of enemy fighters and loses one step loss in casualties, its experience will be unchanged (after it takes replacements). This dynamic can make it difficult to build up xp on new units. The solution is to "train" your units on easy battles initially. This is easier to setup if you have a cadre of high experience units to undertake the more difficult missions, leaving cleanup duty for newer units. For each type of unit, these are what I consider easier battles:

Fighter squadrons - air superiority missions against weak enemy fighter squadrons (when your squadron is at least twice as big in strength points)

Bomber squadrons - bombing large infantry units in the open when they don't have fighter cover

Ground units - attacking at overwhelming odds.

It's quite difficult given their low movement speeds for infantry to participate in lots of high odds attacks. Plus infantry get a lot of attrition losses. But your panzer divisions and corps can accumulate experience fairly easily. Right now I have several armored unts with 30-40 experience. Because it has outright destroyed several enemy units, my tech level 3 armor corps in England now has experience 100! And both Italian tac bomber units in England have experience >70 despite needing to be almost completely rebuilt - a result of the multiple hit bombing runs they inflicted on the Royal Navy.

Post #: 72
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 12:15:37 AM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: macroeconomics

No, the efficiency of the German troops in England is lower now that they have to rely on local supplies. And the local supply level appears to bleed downward the more you use it. But at this point I need to spend my PPs on upgrading armor divisions to corps. I can't afford to spend them on replacing sunk shipping. So the German troops in Britain will have to do with lower supply. If they keep on capturing new cities this will have less of an effect. But as they move into Scotland which has fewer (and smaller) cities it may become a problem. Hopefully British resistance levels will continue to drop.

Thanks for the explanation. Your AAR is much appreciated and is really giving me, and I trust others, a good impression of ToF.

One other question related to invasion supply. Do ports have different supply capacities for funneling supplies from overseas or are all ports simply generic and equal in their capacity? In other words, would Dover be able to supply as many Germans units as London?

Post #: 73
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 1:03:22 AM   
macroeconomics

Lascar, I know that ports have different ratings. From what I understand those ratings affect how many (and which type of) ships may enter them and what kinds of fleets can form there, although I confess to being somewhat ignorant of how that works.

All cities, including ports, have different local supply ratings. And as I indicated previously those ratings are not static. For example when the German 19th Motorized Korps was surrounded in Krivy Roi it initially supported a 20 local supply rating. But after a three weeks of being surrounded, it was down to a rating of 1. I believe that a city's local supply rating will affect all nearby units, but that also implies that the city you are near is important. Thus none of the German heavy ground units are drawing local supply from London. Instead they are drawing supply (foraging? looting?) from places like Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

W.r.t. your direct question of whether there is a limit to the amount of supply that can be directed to a particular port, I think the answer is that there is no limit. Rather the limit is based on how many transport points you place in your convoy, not on the destination port size. However I don't think this is a big realism issue for Sea Lion campaigns. Realistically given the no stacking rule, a German bridgehead restricted to Dover isn't going to have more than seven or eight units anyway. By the time you get to a force structure as large as the one I currently have in Britain, you will be in control of other ports such as London or Southampton.

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 74
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 1:23:01 AM   
Lascar

quote:

Lascar, I know that ports have different ratings. From what I understand those ratings affect how many (and which type of) ships may enter them and what kinds of fleets can form there, although I confess to being somewhat ignorant of how that works.

All cities, including ports, have different local supply ratings. And as I indicated previously those ratings are not static. For example when the German 19th Motorized Korps was surrounded in Krivy Roi it initially supported a 20 local supply rating. But after a three weeks of being surrounded, it was down to a rating of 1. I believe that a city's local supply rating will affect all nearby units, but that also implies that the city you are near is important. Thus none of the German heavy ground units are drawing local supply from London. Instead they are drawing supply (foraging? looting?) from places like Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

W.r.t. your direct question of whether there is a limit to the amount of supply that can be directed to a particular port, I think the answer is that there is no limit. Rather the limit is based on how many transport points you place in your convoy, not on the destination port size. However I don't think this is a big realism issue for Sea Lion campaigns. Realistically given the no stacking rule, a German bridgehead restricted to Dover isn't going to have more than seven or eight units anyway. By the time you get to a force structure as large as the one I currently have in Britain, you will be in control of other ports such as London or Southampton.

I see what you mean. However, in the case of the allied 1944 campaign in France. The allies had real supply difficulties (especially fuel)until they finally captured Antwerp. Even with the many other French ports that were operational in late '44 they had supply bottlenecks that were not significantly relieved until Antwerp became operational. So in a later France '44 campaign all the allies would have to do is capture Cherbourg, for instance, and just send convoys there and be able to logistically support all their forces in France if I am understanding this correctly.

Post #: 75
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 1:31:52 AM   
macroeconomics

Is this the end of the beginning? Or the beginning of the end?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 1:38:57 AM   
macroeconomics

Or perhaps it is neither. There was no visible effect. Britain continues to fight, at least for now. Still, I'm transferring a panzer division out of England and back to France. It can be upgraded to a corps there. If Britain continues to fight when the unit is finished upgrading (about two months), then it can go back across the Channel. Meanwhile one of the leading German panzer divisions in Scotland has its combat value down to a puny 3 points - due to lack of supply. The big tech 3 panzer corps is still at 22 combat value, so it will lead the advance.

In Russia, snow is rolling over to rain. In ToF, weather is calculated for each hex. About half of them are snow and the other rain in northern Russia. In southern Russia, the hexes are about 10% snow, 60% rain, 30% clear. So weather zones of some sort appear to be in existence. Or at least weather is not uniform regardless of latitude. We certainly haven't noticed any snow in Egypt!

Post #: 77
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 1:43:12 AM   
macroeconomics

I should make one other note. A turn ago, I loaded the game and noticed that Great Britain's difficulty level was still at "Normal" not "Easy" as I had intended it to be after the fall of France. I'm not certain how this occurred. But apparently it has been this way for a long period of time. I've switched the difficulty for Britain back to "Easy", but I don't think this will have much effect given most of Britain's PPs are probably coming from its colonies at this point. That does take quite a bit of the halo off Germany's Sea Lion exploits.

Post #: 78
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 2:14:42 AM   
cherryfunk

I have to say, these scripting bugs have put me off starting a campaign.... hopefully they get fixed.

Post #: 79
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 2:35:38 AM   
macroeconomics

I don't know that it is a bug. After all it did say that Germany would "propose" that England become an allied state. It's possible England declined. Or maybe they are just thinking it over. I could read the script files and find out, but I'm trying to keep that to a minimum for this play through. I do think that if I want to continue the offensive into Scotland that I will need to resume running convoys. All the German combat divisions in lower Scotland have values of 1-3 now. That's not going to get anything done.

(in reply to cherryfunk)
Post #: 80
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 6:07:53 AM   
macroeconomics

The decision is made to resume the offensive in Scotland and force the outright surrender of Great Britain. Accomplishing this will also require the capture of Londonderry in Northern Ireland. But that is a matter for later. The reasons for this move are fairly clear cut, primarily involving the elimination of the Royal Navy before the US can enter the war. So we will need to resume convoy supply. The Kreigsmarine which had been hiding in Kiel sorties forward.

In Russia, the orders go out for a general offensive. There continue to be scattered snow showers in the northern sector of the front, but this is affecting no more than 5% of the hexes. Heavy rainfall will make the advance slow, but the Wehrmacht needs to get a head start on grinding down Soviet opposition. If heavy casualties can be inflicted on the Soviets prior to the middle of June, it would mean that Germany starts its traditional Barbarossa offensive with an early head start. 7 tech 2 panzer korps are now active on the eastern front along with a tech 3 panzer division (received from the Afrika Korps event). 2 more panzer korps are refitting with another 2 yet to be formed from divisional cadre.

Soviet air opposition is minimal along the entire front. Soviet reserves appear to be light. They look vulnerable. The toughest opposition comes from Soviet tank corps which are strong enough to require a German panzer corps plus 2 or 3 infantry corps to take down.

Here's how the northern sector of the front looks prior to the German moves for 16-April-1941.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 81
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 6:19:12 AM   
macroeconomics

And the situation in the southern sector:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 82
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 6:52:38 AM   
Razz

Really? I will have to check this.

We had it in the game fora year before there was a major reorganization.

Italy was suppose to keep a certain amount of territory, up to and including one city.

quote:

Some other minor points about how ToF handles situations that commonly occur in WW2 big strategy games. W.r.t. Vichy formation, Italy does NOT get to keep any small territorial gains it makes prior to the armistice. Any Italian units in France once Vichy forms are simply put in the "available to be redeployed bin". So there's no point in making mini offensives in Tunisia, or even towards Marseilles for that matter. ToF's French AI isn't stupid enough to leave southern France barren, so if you are playing as the Italian, simply accept that France is there for you to enter the war with, and go from there.

I'm in the middle of making my Hail Mary pass attempt to capture Dover and I have to say I really like how ToF structures its land/air/sea interactions, at least as far as amphibious invasions go. In a lot of WW2 strategy games you can sneak in an invasion force without air cover, or without taking out enemy air. Not in this game. You must have your bombers help take out the port defenders. And they won't be able to do that without enemy fighters prevented from intercepting them. So first you need to go in with your fighters. Then your bombers, then drop paras and the invasion infantry. It's a really nice overall structure that makes intuitive sense. Now they just need to get that Royal Navy more active.

Post #: 83
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 7:09:41 AM   
Razz

Also, USA is supposed to automatically join the Allies when Germany lands in Great Britain.

Plus, there were other factors to make the conquest of England harder.

Unfortunately, the play testers wanted an easy invasion of England.

I did make some adjustments to fix this scenario. I'll have to check to see if I still have them.

How would you like to be at war with the USA ans USSR in 1940 because you invaded Great Britain?

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 84
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 7:53:10 AM   
macroeconomics

On the Italian player turn immediately proceeding the German turn when the Kriegsmarine sailed to protect a supply convoy to England, the Italians note intel coming from Spain regarding a large assembly of British ships near Gibraltar. The Italians note that in the past that has meant the British intend to smash the Italian supply convoy to Africa. So they simply delete it. The Italian offensive in Egypt won't have legs now, but what would have been the point of continuing the convoy? It would have been destroyed and still no supply would have gotten through to Alexandria. And sure enough on the AI's player turn the British sail through the Western Med, park next to Sicily and on the end of turn results phase, find no Italian shipping. Ah, the benefits of having Italian spies in neutral Spain!

On the following player turn, the German supply lines are indeed refreshed. I was wondering if one needed to run the supply convoy up to a destination port in northern England, but no. The game's supply system is smart enough to connect cities with land links to southern England. German land units immediately begin their sprint north. No telling how long the wiener schnitzel will continue being sent across the Channel.

So this then is, I think, my verdict on the game's naval AI for Great Britain - best AI I've seen so far in this type of large scale WW2 strat game, but if you coordinate the movements of the Italian and German navies, you can try to get the RN coming and going between the Med and the Atlantic. That strategy isn't costless for the Axis. You'll need to spend a lot of PPs on completing the naval builds from all the naval ship events. Otherwise the RN should be big enough to squash both fronts simultaneously. But if you do complete all your naval builds you have rough parity with the RN. Rather than split its fleet into two parts and try to take on the Germans and Italians both at once, the AI seems like it will concentrate into one mega fleet and then the Axis player can try to make that fleet bounce between the two theatres. Nor is that Axis strategy fool proof. If the British can catch either of your fleets in port resting, you will get thrashed by the carrier air. And by thrashed, I don't mean losing 2 or 3 ships. I mean seeing your German (or Italian) mega fleet reduced to 33% of its original size. Such is the danger of a concentrated fleet strategy.

For some people, this may be an "Aha! You see the AI is not that good" moment. To me, it's a measure of how far of a leap this game's British naval AI is over that seen in competing titles where defeating the RN is trivial. To wit, you need to devote a large chunk of your builds to naval units, risk the occasional total destruction of your fleet and then you get a couple of turns of supply alternated with a couple of turns out of supply, etc. If the ToF British naval AI is randomized somewhat (a debugging nightmare but a powerful tactic to foil meta gaming humans) and the chance to spot Allied fleets off a neutral Spanish coast is reduced, then you'd have a guessing game at best for the Axis using this tactic. A very interesting result indeed.

Post #: 85
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 7:54:38 AM   
macroeconomics

Razz, it may very well be that Italy can keep a French city if Vichy is formed. My Italians never made it that far. And in that case they don't get to keep non-city hexes.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 86
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 10:53:59 AM   
macroeconomics

The fat lady has been announced and has stepped on to the stage.

I think the end is near. The Soviets are in deep trouble. The concept of starting Barbarossa in late June from a semi advanced start line is now a bit behind the times. The front line runs from Velikiye Luki to Smolensk to Bryansk to Kursk to Stalino and it only late May. Moreover it is a line in name only in many sectors. It's shocking how much the tables turn once clear weather popped up. The tech 2 panzer corps just cleared the map of Soviet infantry divisions. There are now 9 tech 2 panzer corps in Russia with 2 more refitting in Poland and 3 more refitting in France. Those western corps will not be needed in Britain and will head east. The only thing holding the Germans back was a lack of infantry to grab rail lines and besiege cities.

That problem was solved however when it became clear that Yugoslavia would not enter the war. I decided that Italy would not declare war on Yugoslavia and that freed up a ton of cheap Italian, Hungarian and Bulgarian infantry corps. Operationally the Axis are formed into 8 or 9 mini-army groups each headed up by a panzer corps, 2 or 3 German infantry corps and then 5-10 German inf divisions or Allied Axis inf corps. The panzers sweep away the enemy infantry divisions. Soviet infantry corps or the very rare armor corps are bombed by tac air and then hit by the panzer corps with one or two German infanty corps assisting. The resistance hard points, invariably located in the cities, are surrounded by half the cheap infantry while everyone else marches forward. The sheer numbers of these Axis Allied infantry hordes is amazing. Although they are still being railed into Russia, it looks like they will field something in the neighborhood of 40 corps. Space eaters as it were. And there's plenty of empty space out there. That Axis Allied force structure is fragile and can't be easily replaced. But right now the Russians aren't doing any killing. Only the panzers are.

In Britain, resistance on the main island has basically collapsed. Glascow and Edinburgh are surrounded and recon shows that the last the last VP city on the main island, Aberdeen, is garrisoned by a lone infantry unit. Both the German and Italian paratroop divisions are enroute to Scotland to deliver the coup de grace on Londonderry. Similar situation in Egypt where the Suez Canal city is surrounded by swarms of Italian infantry, whose main hurdle is fighting each other for space to get over the canal.

The RN intervention in the Med did smash some Italian hardware when they chased down the Italian fleet off Alexandria. But the RN took as many hits from Italian land based air. And the interruption in the supply convoys to Egypt didn't really slow down the Italian infantry marching to the Suez. They were like a carpet of ants moving forward.

Below is a wide zoom screenshot of the eastern front with the locations of the Axis Allied assignments. Perhaps only 25% of the projected Axis Allied infantry have reached the field and yet you already get a sense of how outnumbered the Soviets are.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 11:05:29 AM   
cherryfunk

quote:

I don't know that it is a bug. After all it did say that Germany would "propose" that England become an allied state.

It's not that so much as the early Russian declaration of war. If I read what you wrote correctly, because you're playing Finland as well as Germany, and despite the fact you followed the historical timeline, the script got confused and declared war on Germany as well as Finland? That sure seems broken to me...

quote:

Unfortunately, the play testers wanted an easy invasion of England.

Uh... I think that's the designer's call, not the playtesters. Sealion should be extremely difficult to pull off. The point isn't to make an easy game, but a challenging one.

< Message edited by cherryfunk -- 12/14/2011 11:10:20 AM >

Post #: 88
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 10:19:23 PM   
macroeconomics

It turned out that the plans to capture Londonderry were completely irrelevant. Londonderry has a production point, but it is not a victory point city. Thus is would not lead the Britain's surrender. The last British VP city was Gibraltar.

Using Slaytanic's information that an opposed amphibious assault was possible, an Italian operation was planned. The Kreigsmarine and a German supply convoy were used as bait in the Channel, while the Italian fleet assembled in Genoa. Two infantry corps, each with a leader were on amphibious assault boats. The ships set sail, and the Italian battleships and cruiser were ready to shore bombard Gibraltar when they were notified that would not be allowed. The British garrison in Gibraltar had not been spotted. Doh. Fortunately the amphibious assault was allowed and surprisingly at only 4.4-:1 odds the Italian infantry corps overcame the defenders and marched into Gibraltar. At the end of the game turn, Britain dutifully surrendered.

This also happened:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cherryfunk)
Post #: 89
RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 - 12/14/2011 10:36:25 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

Also, USA is supposed to automatically join the Allies when Germany lands in Great Britain.

No, it does not.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> After Action Reports >> RE: Grand Campaign V1.00 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI