Legends Mods

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

HectorOfTroy

Legends Mods

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Hey modders, just wondering if you could maybe post updates on how are your mods going at the moment? I'm interested in any kind of mods, I think they bring so much to this already best 4X in existance [:)].

Has anyone thought about doing a B5 mod?

P.S. Esp wondering how Igard's ST mod is going.

ehsumrell1

RE: Legends Mods

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Hey modders, just wondering if you could maybe post updates on how are your mods going at the moment?

P.S. Esp wondering how Igard's ST mod is going.

Hector, I risked crossing the Neutral Zone to get in scanning range of Romulus to see what's going
on.....this is all the intel I was able to gather...
[:)]

Attachments
IgardsResponse.jpg
IgardsResponse.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Hmm, you never know with those Romulans [:D]
Igard

Post by Igard »

Jolan Tru!

Thanks for enquiring, Hector. Ehsumrell1 and I are working on the new 'Picard Era' mod. This will supersede TRSE (The Romulan Star Empire) mod.

It's going quite well. Characters are the really big thing this time around and take alot of time to do.

I'm pretty much finished with the Federation characters, the largest number of characters of any faction with around 40. So that's a pretty large chunk of the work right there. Done a couple of minor races as well. I'm also using alot of 'Generic Characters' so as to avoid getting characters with the dreaded racial image. For example, Ensign Ricky will look very much like Lieutenant Erickson, but as long as they don't look like the President of the UFP, that should be ok.[;)]

Ship images are pretty much done also. The additional 'unused' shipset has been overhauled slightly. The ships in the Federation shipset are from the early era, so you'll have to go to the additional shipset to obtain the image for the Defiant, Voyager etc. The reason for this.....

....I'm trying to give the player the impression that you're playing through the Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager series, from start to finish. At the start, you'll only have access to ships from early in the series and will encounter characters that were around at that early time also. For example, no Admiral Janeway at the beginning.

There are currently 23 races and I think it'll stay that way for now. Priority is to get them all finished (characters mainly) and get the mod out there. Sorry, no Borg yet (only the ship image scaling is a problem), but there is a rather stretchy faced alien race that has been added.

Hope some of that made sense and whets your appetite. I'll have a preview up sometime soon, but as for a release date..... I'm unsure. Lots of things to do still.

Take care and happy trekking. [:)]

HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Igard thanks for the update, very much looking forward to ST mod [:'(]

If you want you can make a thread (or use this one) in which you can ask us (users of mods) to help you look for images.

That is, if you need help with that.
Caesar_Augustus

Post by Caesar_Augustus »

Good news, Igard! But does that mean that you're not going to do Archer, Kirk and Spock-eras for Legends??
Or does this mean that, all in due time, we can have all these ST eras span before our eyes? [;)]
Igard

Post by Igard »

@Hector, Thanks for the offer. Finding the images isn't a problem. It's all the research and adding new values for characters. For example, I used Memory-Beta wikia to find who the Federation Presidents were from the time when Picard took command of the Enterprise. I was able to procure images for each of these and then set them to appear in the correct order. I'll be doing the same with the Klingon Chancellors and to an extent, the Romulan Praetors and the Ferengi Naguses (Nagii?).

@Caesar, Hey Caesar. Good to see you again. I'm going to work as much as I can on the Picard Era before I start work on the other eras. As you say, all in due time.
Caesar_Augustus

Hi, Igard, I'm glad to be back on these forums with you guys.

Great to hear that all ST eras will eventually get their due... in time! [&o]

Hmmm... how about some sort of "time travel" to anticipate things,
well, you know, that sort of time travel that subcommander T'Pau doesn't believe in... [;)]
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

I'm very much looking forward to this 'Picard-Era' mod. If you can do the total conversion and still keep it fun, I'll nominate you for the Nobel Prize. You won't win, since I don't get a vote, but at least you'll know someone cares.
Caesar_Augustus

@Gelatinous Cube: Indeed, I care, too, You see, Igard is a very highly-respected member of these forums,
quite famous for his modding skills, renown for his courtesy and politeness,
not to mention his steadfastness in keeping his Romulan-ale cellar under strict control [8|]. But, alas, others than myself can attest to that!

In my book, he already has won several prizes! [&o]
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

ORIGINAL: Caesar_Augustus

@Gelatinous Cube: Indeed, I care, too, You see, Igard is a very highly-respected member of these forums,
quite famous for his modding skills, renown for his courtesy and politeness,
not to mention his steadfastness in keeping his Romulan-ale cellar under strict control [8|]. But, alas, others than myself can attest to that!

In my book, he already has won several prizes! [&o]

Absolutely! I wasn't being facetious, I'm really looking forward to it. This game was made for these kinds of conversion mods.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Sorry, no Borg yet (only the ship image scaling is a problem), but there is a rather stretchy faced alien race that has been added.

Hmmm.......I wonder who THAT could be????? [:D]

Attachments
AdmiralRuafo.jpg
AdmiralRuafo.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I'm hoping some one will update the Star Wars shipsets before I have to do it myself. LOL
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

I'm hoping some one will do a Wing Commander Shipset, that would be awesome!

Greetings from Germany
Nico
Igard

Post by Igard »

@Speedy2511, there is a thread started recently for this. Though I don't think it's a complete set yet. Here :- tm.asp?m=2950017

@Galatinous Cube and Caesar, thankyou guys. It's nice to know people are looking forward to the mod. [:)]
Caesar_Augustus

Looking forward to the mod? Aye! And looking backward (with fond memories!) and also looking sideways...
awaiting from any direction the treat for Legends!
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

I'm working on a mod to rewrite some of the racial dialog. For some reason the current writing just doesn't always click for me :) anyone has any particular tips on the racial dialog files?
Igard

Post by Igard »

hewwo, I wrote a few Star Trek races, but I think I went about it the wrong way. I edited the vanilla dialogue files for each race, rather than using the base_dialog.txt file, which has alot more lines of text in it.

So, always use the base_dialog.txt file as your starting point, in case you weren't aware. As it stands, my Trek dialogue files aren't as comprehensive as they should be.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Yeah, I figured that out already, but thanks for the tip.Do you know the exact functioning of some of the special stuff? like \n means new line and then there is stuff like {1} and {0}. I'll just leave it for now, but would be fun to know what we can do with it exactly :)

I rewrote some of the humans and mechanoid text. More difficult than I thought it would be! Also, does anyone have a good replacement for the human picture? A bit too cartoony for my taste...
Igard

Post by Igard »

Trust me to tell you the obvious and ignore the rest! [:D]

The {0} and {1} are just variables specific for the line. Things like faction name and monetary amounts are inserted where these appear. They are specifically coded for each line, so they won't mean the same thing every time they appear.

Return to “Design and Modding”