Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

There are only 3 PH Vets left in the Nashville area

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> There are only 3 PH Vets left in the Nashville area Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
There are only 3 PH Vets left in the Nashville area - 12/8/2011 3:44:18 PM   
Mark VII

I shot the Pearl Harbor service at the Nashville VA hospital yesterday. There were two PH vets there plus several PH widows. Both the vets were pretty spry, the Marine could walk but would run out of breath and carried a oxygen system with him and the sailor could walk but had family pushing a wheel chair for when he got tired.

George, (the Marine) was on board the Tennessee crewing the director for the 5/51 guns. Witnessed the Arizona blowing up, things started getting hot up in the director and he retreated to the deck where he was volunteered to man a hose and fight the fire at the stern where the Arizona fire was speading to the Tenneessee. He had lots more to say about Dec 7. George ended up an officer, up landing at Bougainville, Saipan and Iwo Jima.(I think that's what he said) Then with the 1st Marine XX in Korea, Pusan perimiter, Inchon, Frozen Chosin, etc. i am efforting to get his whole interview on the Newschannel 5 web page, hopefully in a couple of hours.

Sam was a radio operator on the mine sweeper AM20 Bobolink. Sam was very hard on hearing and his interview ended up not as detailed.

The PR person told me there were only three Pearl harbor vets using the VA hospital in Nashville.

http://www.newschannel5.com/category/125220/video-landing-page?clipId=6526892&topVideoCatNo=85299&autoStart=true

< Message edited by Mark VII -- 1/2/2012 3:49:50 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: There is only 3 left in the Nashville area - 12/8/2011 5:52:39 PM   
nashvillen

Thank you Mark VII! Great work, as always!

(I am a News Channel 5 junkie )

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 12/8/2011 5:53:14 PM >

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 2
RE: There is only 3 left in the Nashville area - 12/8/2011 9:12:38 PM   
dr.hal

Really cool... My first ship in the navy was the USS Bainbridge and on her was an old BMC (E-7) who had been in the harbor during that attack. We pulled into Pearl (stationed in Long Beach at the time) and I don't know if it was for dramatic reasons or real fear, but he insisted upon sleeping on deck.....

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 3
There are only 3 PH Vets left in the Nashville area - 1/2/2012 3:25:59 PM   
Mark VII

Channel 5 was able to post the long interview of the Marine who was on board the USS Tennessee during the Pearl Harbor attack. His battle station was in one of the 5/51 directors high in the cage mast. Because of its length, the interview is divided into three parts.

http://www.newschannel5.com/category/125220/video-landing-page?clipId=6587619&topVideoCatNo=85299&autoStart=true

http://www.newschannel5.com/category/125220/video-landing-page?clipId=6587606&topVideoCatNo=85299&autoStart=true

http://www.newschannel5.com/category/125220/video-landing-page?clipId=6587587&topVideoCatNo=85299&autoStart=true

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> There are only 3 PH Vets left in the Nashville area Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI