OT: Movie Review- Red Tails

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

YankeeAirRat

OT: Movie Review- Red Tails

Post by YankeeAirRat »

So tonight I had a chance to catch a special preview screening of the new LucasArts films "Red Tails". The trailers look good! The movie? It reminds me of that Affleck movie with those planes and those ships in that one port. All sorts of accuracy issues with uniforms and flight gear (one of the pilots was wearing a replicate flight helmet that RAF pilots wore, while another was always wearing a USN summer flight helmet), then there was numerous guys walking around with thier ball caps backwards, or over sized ballcaps and similar sort of fadish things. The flight scenes were good, but if you had seen "Sky Captain" or any of the latest versions of the Star Wars trilogy then the same sort of computer blue screen stuff happened in Sky Captain and Pre-trilogy of Star Wars happens here. Oh, yea about Star Wars references it is because this is a George Lucas produced product with his name and touch all over it. There is a love story here, but too much time is spent in my opinion with the senior officers fighting in the Pentagon to allow the Tuskgee Squadrons to fly combat or too much time at base with the airmen fighting each other to tell an effective story of the real history here. What ultimately killed it for me though was the closing scene of the film. I won't spoil it too much, but lets just say that George was so untrusting of real life that he had to use computers to represent a whole squadron standing in formation, so he had a few actors and the rest were computer generated.
This film is supposed to be out on the 20th of January for the general public in the US and if I had to recommend it, I would say wait a weekend and try to catch the early morning maintee or wait till it hits your local dollar theater. This is too much like that Affleck movie in scope. If I had to recommend a movie to anyone it would be the HBO special from 1996 with Laurence Fishburne, Andre Braugher, Maclom J. Warner and Cuba Gooding Junior in it.
Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.
CaptBeefheart

RE: OT: Movie Review- Red Tails

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Thanks for the heads up. It's almost to the point where I don't bother seeing war movies anymore--what's the point? Hollywood cannot ever take a great standalone true story without trying to make it
"better" or inserting modern day morality. What, did I say "almost?" Sorry, it IS to the point where I don't bother.

Example: "Windtalkers"--A perfectly dramatic, somewhat unknown true story where Hollywood feels like it has to add the plot device that these Navajo have to be killed before they fall into enemy hands. Stoopid.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

The HBO version was rather watchable...It is not like the story needs any embellishments..
Outside of doing a great job of fighting the Nazis they had to fight an inquisition from some racist senators...

Then they do a great job (on youtube one can find the history channel`s dogfights...they have a segment on the
redtails with appearances by a few of the actual pilots...They were very cool worth checking out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF10wMytCCg
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Sounds like a movie to wait for the $5 bargain bin sale. Oh well. At least there's John Carter to look forward to if you've read Burroughs.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

It may be OK, but I am going to have a hard time watching a serious movie that has Whatley the dentist from "Seinfield" in it. [:D]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

[:D]
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Thanks for the heads up. It's almost to the point where I don't bother seeing war movies anymore--what's the point? Hollywood cannot ever take a great standalone true story without trying to make it
"better" or inserting modern day morality. What, did I say "almost?" Sorry, it IS to the point where I don't bother.

Example: "Windtalkers"--A perfectly dramatic, somewhat unknown true story where Hollywood feels like it has to add the plot device that these Navajo have to be killed before they fall into enemy hands. Stoopid.

Cheers,
CC

Agreed with Windtalkers.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

A few years back I had the pleasure to sit down with a former Tuskegee pilot. They could of made a movie about the story he told. They had an amazing record in the air. Shame they just can't tell it like it was.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Hollywood is just awful...and, yet, some pretty credible war movies come out from time to time:  Enemy at the Gates, Letters from Iwo Jima, Saving Private Ryan, Glory, and Gettysburg come to mind.

But when they get it wrong, which is pretty often, they turn it into a steaming pile of dung from an overheated jungle bat.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
FatR

Post by FatR »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Hollywood is just awful...and, yet, some pretty credible war movies come out from time to time:  Enemy at the Gates,
This one is about as credible as the movie that should not be mentioned here.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It may be OK, but I am going to have a hard time watching a serious movie that has Whatley the dentist from "Seinfield" in it. [:D]
You always did strike me as an anti-dentite. [;)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: FatR

Hollywood is just awful...and, yet, some pretty credible war movies come out from time to time:  Enemy at the Gates,

You don't believe Vasily spoke with an English accent? You have difficulty suspending your disbelief for those phenomenal sniper shots which appeared to be taken from 50 yards or less? [:D]
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: FatR

You don't believe Vasily spoke with an English accent? You have difficulty suspending your disbelief for those phenomenal sniper shots which appeared to be taken from 50 yards or less? [:D]

The best part is that Ed Harris is a badass German sniper.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Hollywood is just awful...and, yet, some pretty credible war movies come out from time to time:  Enemy at the Gates, Letters from Iwo Jima, Saving Private Ryan, Glory, and Gettysburg come to mind.

But when they get it wrong, which is pretty often, they turn it into a steaming pile of dung from an overheated jungle bat.

I really enjoyed Glory. I also like Pacific and Band of Brothers.

Dez caught it
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

Sounds like a movie to wait for the $5 bargain bin sale. Oh well. At least there's John Carter to look forward to if you've read Burroughs.

I didn't know about this. I may need to head over to Google.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: oldman45

A few years back I had the pleasure to sit down with a former Tuskegee pilot. They could of made a movie about the story he told. They had an amazing record in the air. Shame they just can't tell it like it was.

We have a former Tuskegee pilot in my neighborhood. He used to give regular talks at the local library but is getting on now.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

So tonight I had a chance to catch a special preview screening of the new LucasArts films "Red Tails". The trailers look good! The movie? It reminds me of that Affleck movie with those planes and those ships in that one port. All sorts of accuracy issues with uniforms and flight gear (one of the pilots was wearing a replicate flight helmet that RAF pilots wore, while another was always wearing a USN summer flight helmet), then there was numerous guys walking around with thier ball caps backwards, or over sized ballcaps and similar sort of fadish things. The flight scenes were good, but if you had seen "Sky Captain" or any of the latest versions of the Star Wars trilogy then the same sort of computer blue screen stuff happened in Sky Captain and Pre-trilogy of Star Wars happens here. Oh, yea about Star Wars references it is because this is a George Lucas produced product with his name and touch all over it. There is a love story here, but too much time is spent in my opinion with the senior officers fighting in the Pentagon to allow the Tuskgee Squadrons to fly combat or too much time at base with the airmen fighting each other to tell an effective story of the real history here. What ultimately killed it for me though was the closing scene of the film. I won't spoil it too much, but lets just say that George was so untrusting of real life that he had to use computers to represent a whole squadron standing in formation, so he had a few actors and the rest were computer generated.
This film is supposed to be out on the 20th of January for the general public in the US and if I had to recommend it, I would say wait a weekend and try to catch the early morning maintee or wait till it hits your local dollar theater. This is too much like that Affleck movie in scope. If I had to recommend a movie to anyone it would be the HBO special from 1996 with Laurence Fishburne, Andre Braugher, Maclom J. Warner and Cuba Gooding Junior in it.

Well you just ruined it for me, but thanks for saving me money. I do not want to see another TMTSNBM and I agree that the Tusckegee Airmen was a good show.

The other one on my list is War Horse just b/c I'm an animal lover (not over the edge), but it looks interesting.

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

Then you definately won't like Battleship. They have somehow managed to turn a game about very simplified naval battles, into a film about the navy battling alien invaders. It has already been criticised by James Cameron as falling victim to Hollywoods 'story crisis', where brand names are more important than the actual story.

Although I have some hope for the remake of Battle of Midway, as the writer and producer of the Pacifc mini-series is behind it. Of course they could always stuff that up as well.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Hollywood cannot ever take a great standalone true story without trying to make it
"better" or inserting modern day morality.

Hollywood has been doing that since "Birth of a Nation". And before that, theater was doing the same since Sophocles.
-- Mark Sieving
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

I have see (I think 3) trailers...it is bad one if one can judge movie from trailer... <SIGH>

The air combat depicted in trailers is another Hollywood style fantasyland... shame... [&:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”