The Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Missouri_Rebel

The Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

So what do the players think about this title so far? I understand it might be a bit early for such a large game but, a little feedback would be nice for this potential customer.

Your thoughts please

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Rosseau

RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Post by Rosseau »

Good post, and I am looking forward to responses, but I think I'm going to just buy it, Reb. I feel real guilty spending on my "Tigers Unleased" HPS pre-order last night, but the 30% discount to Time of Wrath owners sold me. Very cool of Matrix/Slitherine, as I would have had to skip it at $50. And that's U.S. dollars.
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

Yeah, I want to see some feedback before I take the plunge. See what it is like.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Let's just say the editor is less than intuitive. I couldn't even get one file open without an error message. Better off going back to editing the files manually. This does not seem like progress to me, and some kind of docs for the editor are really needed. This isn't the first game in the series, after all.

Actually, it seems like I was messing with the string database editor. It doesn't even seem to come with the "normal" type editor in the previous game. Not thrilled about this, but I may be missing something, I hope.
sveint

Post by sveint »

VERY unhappy with the installation for DivX Plus player. Everyone do yourselves a favor and skip the DivX Plus player. Not a good first sign.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

The tutorial needs revision.
1. The tactical Naval battle didn't show up at all - there were light blue stripes across the strategic map but there was no tactical map. Had to crash out and restart.
2. When looking at the panel to select units there were no units available to select. This is the one where you can deselect categories on units to view (inf/arm/naval/air) etc. The last tutorial I think.

But if those are the only problems I have then count me as happy!

On to Warsaw!!!
/Greyshaft
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sveint what is the issue with the DivX player. It is not installed by default and only there as an option which you turn on if you have issues playing videos. DivX is probably the widest used video codec there is and one of the best in my opinion - it is what I have.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
sveint

Post by sveint »

Box is checked by default (I went fast and didn't notice). Next it installs 4 different components and then by default downloads a different software/adware (I forget which). I ended up uninstalling everything and cleaning registry, etc. Next you need to reassociate your video files, etc etc. Just a mess.

Nothing wrong with the codec itself. Just really not used to or happy that a game installs 3rd party software which then installs yet another software.

EDIT: I should add I have nothing bad to say about the game itself. Tutorials aren't great, but who cares. Map/Unit preferences are nice. That's all I can say so far, no time to really try it yet.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

rosseau, are you sure there isn't some kind of editor that you're missing? The reason I ask is because of this quote by doomtrader in a thread on the Slitherine site;

'The game is extremly moddable. It is possible to easily create new scenarios, new maps, many of the game data and modifiers can be changed. So it's up to you how many mods will be created.
For sure every modder will find my support in solving any issues he will face'

Here is the link;
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30064

I don't usually mess with editors but it is nice for others so inclined to produce mods that further enhance many titles. How is the gameplay particularly the naval aspect assuming it has been a factor so far?

I have to say that the AAR's, while incomplete, are pushing me towards a purchase sooner rather than later.

Svient, yeah, I have done that too. It sucks. Glad you meant to skip the Divx player in your previous post and not the game itself as I first thought. Keep us posted and I'll try to hold out tonight even as I have my card in front of me.

I was looking for a Christmas gift but there is no way I can wait to buy it til Christmas or keep myself from installing it until then if I get it now. Maybe I just don't mention it to the missus. I've purchased 6 games in the past few weeks but as a young man I'd spend that much at the taverns on a good/bad weekend, this time without the occasional black eye.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

The scenario editor is not yet included yet.
It will be released in a couple of days, at the last time we wanted to add some things to increase the value of the editor.

The editor that rosseau i talking about is a string editor that allows you to change ingame text in case you would like to create some events or to change displays on the screens.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Willpower....Who needs that? Bought the game while she sleeps. It'd be rude to wake her in such a deep slumber after all and what kind of person would that make me? Insensitive, that's what.

BTW, the option to install the Divx player was unchecked by default. One would have to check the box to include it. It also says next to that option that Divx is needed to play the videos but not the game itself. Not trying to be snarky towards sveint, just FYI.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

When playing Barbarossa it is quite painful watching each German armored corp kill two of my inf corps per turn (overrun + attack).

It is the nature of the beast :(
/Greyshaft
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Download and installation went OK, did all the DVX items, but don't see any intro video. It's an issue I have had with other games so it may have nothing to do with ToF. Having played and enjoyed ToW and seeing a lot of the original features, I am expecting to take some time to get the game setup as I prefer, but it's good to have the choices.

So early days, but looking good.[:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
alaric318

RE: my best enjoy about the game series

Post by alaric318 »

the best feature about all the games in this series is the allow and freedom to choose country-aliances, the allow to play on 3 sides/factions, being that, west allies, axis and commitern, (Russia plus his minors, again, customizable trough the options), much of the other great titles on the market dont have this feature and is the perfect setting for multiplayer, if you go for realism, you should have 2 main factions, but for playability and multiplayer, 3 factions is just much better,

still not purchased the game and thanks for the discount, is a way to not disregard already customers, not seen much nowadays, but i are pretty sure the feature i are speaking about is still in the game, in fact, if i remember correct, you have to defeat the other 2 main alliances, is not just west+russia vs axis, once and if, axis is defeated, the game may/will go on,

best regards,

Murat30/Alarick.
There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Some +very early+ first impressions;

Purchase without a hitch(as usual for me with matrix but I did have to refresh the purchase page a couple times much as I did when I recently bought Distant Worlds: Legends)

Installed fine

*I love the map and counter options. My favorite seems to be the Agent 4 (Modern) map and the Agent 2 (Icons?) unit counters. Very large and nice looking map I might add.
*A good assortment of scenarios even if most are rather longer games.
*Button layout looks really good save for the scroll problem below.
*Quick, responsive movement of units(although a 'movement' sound would be welcomed)
*Tons of height changes to views from close all the way to strategic views
*Quick resolution of battles and decent after battle reports
*Looks to fill a void in my gaming for this scale and I am excited to discover the game

Things I do not care for

*The map scrolls when trying to click the buttons on the right
*With all the zoom levels I wish there was a way to increase the wheel scroll speed ala Distant worlds and HOI 3. Maybe I am missing them but it would be nice if there were some hotkeys that corresponded to several different heights. As it is my wheel finger will be going numb with all the activity that is needed to scroll from the closest views to the furthest out.

Time for a closer inspection.

Edit: Something for the wishlist; When I close the Unit Panel and Hex Panel I would prefer that they didn't stay on screen again after I choose a unit. I would expect them to automatically revert to not showing them after I click off the unit. Just a minor niggle though.

mo reb
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Played a few turns of Barbarossa South, Agent S's maps and unit icons are very good and give a nice board game look, with many other options to choose, otherwise very like ToW, very easy to play, but with more 'under the hood'.

First impressions very good, although I haven't looked at the naval section yet and there is production and development to master, but building and deployment of units well presented.

Having played ToW many things are familiar and I am looking forward to the mods and adjustments that will fine tune the game displays, although a lot has been provided already.

Main thing is that this is fun to play and you are not forced into a straight-jacket, you have the controls and levers, with many choices on which way to go, even if some directions end in a pile-up. You can walk away from the wreckage of your strategy, with a grin on your face, at least you got to try it.[:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Great game so far! Just finished Poland, and it's no cake walk. The only problem I have so far is that you can't edit unit commanders yet. Like with TOW I added some Corps German commanders to the OBB. I Guess when the editor comes out you will be able to do so, but for right now it won't let you save over anything. If you are on the fence and own TOW, this game is worth the $30.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: sveint
Box is checked by default (I went fast and didn't notice). Next it installs 4 different components and then by default downloads a different software/adware (I forget which). I ended up uninstalling everything and cleaning registry, etc. Next you need to reassociate your video files, etc etc. Just a mess.

The box is not checked by default. Give it another try and you should see that. We don't check it by default because of the extra "baggage" that comes with it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
von altair

Post by von altair »

Wasteland Interactive makes good games for sure. Problem is, they they don't support games. Earlier release Time of Wrath is a good game, but broken. Doomtrader promised to fix the game at mid. march 2011. Patch never came. If you try to ask something in WI forums, nothing happens in a month.

Thats what you can expect with this release as well.
"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

von altair, as I wrote you, the promised patch to the ToW will be released, and this will happen soon. The delay was unfortunately caused by the issues I'm not allowed to say.

Return to “Time of Fury”