Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japan's enemies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Japan's enemies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japan's enemies - 12/6/2011 7:42:25 PM   
fbs

Curiosity for those that like Geography:

If we include countries that were colonies during WW2, how many enemies did Japan have during WW2?

A starting point:

China, USA, Mexico,
Commonwealth (Antigua and Barbuda,Australia,Bahamas,Bangladesh,Barbados,Belize,Botswana,Brunei,Cameroon,Canada,Cyprus,Dominica,The Gambia,Ghana,Grenada,Guyana,India,Jamaica,Kenya,Kiribati,Lesotho,Malawi,Malaysia,Maldives,Malta,Mauritius,Mozambique,Namibia,Nauru,New Zealand,Nigeria,Pakistan,Papua New Guinea,Rwanda,Saint Kitts and Nevis,Saint Lucia,Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,Samoa,Seychelles,Sierra Leone,Singapore,Solomon Islands,South Arica,Sri Lanka,Swaziland,Tanzania,Tonga,Trinidad and Tobago,Tuvalu,Uganda,United Kingdom,Vanuatu,Zambia),
Pakistan,
France,
French Colonies (Morocco,Algeria,Tunisia,Libya,Ivory Coast,Benin,Mali,Guinea,Mauritania,Niger,Senegal,Burkina Faso,Togo,Nigeria,Gambia,Chad,Central African Republic,Congo,Gabon,Cameroon,Madagascar,Comoros,Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Lebanon,Vanuatu),
Philippines,
Burma,
USSR (Russia,Georgia,Ukraine,Moldova,Belarus,Armenia,Azerbaijan,Kazakhstan,Uzbekistan,Turkmenistan,Kyrgyzstan,Tajikistan,Estonia,Latvia,Latvia,Lithuania)

I count what is now 103 countries ... I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least a dozen on this list...
Post #: 1
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/6/2011 7:51:09 PM   
Yaab

You forgot Poland:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=182790

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/6/2011 8:00:57 PM   
Califvol

There's enough there to make your head spin.

But it looks like the Dutch and the entire DEI subsequent countires are missing?

There is also most of Central and South America that also declared war. (There is a great documentary about how Walt Disney made a trip down to South America to make sure our friends remainded our friends)

Along with my favorite co-belligerent country- Italy!

< Message edited by Califvol -- 12/6/2011 8:29:32 PM >

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 3
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/6/2011 9:10:33 PM   
JeffK

Iran

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 4
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/6/2011 9:23:21 PM   
nashvillen

Kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtdQ8bTvRc

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 5
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 4:53:41 AM   
Dobey

Sure a huge number may have declared war on Japan but how many made a serious commitment of "boots on the ground"?

China
US
Australia (All Land and Naval combat forces committed to the Pacific from Dec 1941 onwards)
Britian (Reluctantly. Made minimal commitment needed to defend India until late war)
Canada (Minimal commitment to Pacific. Huge commitment in Europe)
New Zealand (Mostly late war in terms of land forces)
Dutch (Only able to commit forces that were already in theatre or made from the remnants of said forces.)
French (minimal late war commitment)
India (You mention Pakistan, but it did nt exhist until 1947, was part of India in WWII)
Phillipines

Probably some other minors which I haven't mentioned, but I believe the above make up the majority of actual combat contributors and even then several of the above made minimal commitments or only reluctantly committed troops.

It is still an impressive list of enemies, but gives a more realistic view of what Japan was actually facing.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 6
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 6:50:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dobey

Sure a huge number may have declared war on Japan but how many made a serious commitment of "boots on the ground"?

China
US
Australia (All Land and Naval combat forces committed to the Pacific from Dec 1941 onwards)
Britian (Reluctantly. Made minimal commitment needed to defend India until late war)
Dutch (Only able to commit forces that were already in theatre or made from the remnants of said forces.)
India (You mention Pakistan, but it did nt exhist until 1947, was part of India in WWII)
Phillipines

Probably some other minors which I haven't mentioned, but I believe the above make up the majority of actual combat contributors and even then several of the above made minimal commitments or only reluctantly committed troops.

It is still an impressive list of enemies, but gives a more realistic view of what Japan was actually facing.

Warspite1

Reluctantly?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Dobey)
Post #: 7
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 8:16:20 AM   
Dobey

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Reluctantly?

Britian was loathe to send any troops or material to the Pacific.
I would earnestly be happy to see any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) the the UK made every effort to get as many men and as much equiptment as possible to the Far East, but evrything I have seen suggest the opposite. Materiel was primarily directed against Germany (ofcourse) if anything was left over it went to N.Africa or Italy. Tthe Pacific had to make do with second hand hand-me-downs.

The lack of modern equiptment and replacement men led the British 14th Army to dub themselves (as I'm sure you know) the "forgotten army" so clearly the troops themselves didn't exactly feel there was a great deal of interest in their campaign.

Politically the most import places in the region for the UK (other than India) was Hong Kong and Singapore. I think Britain was realitic enough to realise early on that it was not going to recover either of those locations during the war and that India was unlikely to be lost to an all out invasion.
Also I think it was already aware that many of its colonies would have to be given independance after the war.

Once that situation is accepted you loose 99.9% of the political rationale for fighting at all, other than to "keep up appearances". And to retain some say in how the post-war pacific is to be shaped.

< Message edited by Dobey -- 12/7/2011 9:59:18 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 2:05:43 PM   
tocaff

Brazil
Bolivia

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Dobey)
Post #: 9
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 2:23:28 PM   
AW1Steve

Most if not all of those countries declared war against Germany , but how many did against Japan?

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 10
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 9:51:11 PM   
dr.hal

I believe most eventually declared against Japan but did little in a material way to fight against Japan...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/7/2011 11:11:00 PM   
oldman45

quote:

China
US
Phillipines

You left out Mexico, they had one fighter squadron in the pacific;

"The Escuadrón 201, a P-47D fighter squadron of the Fuerza Aérea Expedicionaria Mexicana (Mexican Expeditionary Air Force), served in the Pacific against Japan during World War II. It consisted of 25 aircraft and had 300 airmen and supporting staff. The 201 Squadron completed 96 combat missions over the Philippines and Formosa, now called Taiwan. It is the only unit of the Mexican armed forces ever to see overseas combat."

We should add them to AE

< Message edited by oldman45 -- 12/7/2011 11:13:54 PM >

(in reply to Dobey)
Post #: 12
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/8/2011 1:12:39 AM   
iley

Costa Rica

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 13
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/8/2011 1:50:40 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs
If we include countries that were colonies during WW2, how many enemies did Japan have during WW2? ...
I count what is now 103 countries ... I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least a dozen on this list...

Were their reps all on the deck of the "Mighty Mo" for Japan's surrender?

I recall that one of the Japanese delegates was amazed at all the different uniforms present for the ceremony; there were so many that he wondered how his nation thought it could ever defeat them all!

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 12/8/2011 1:51:50 AM >

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 14
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/8/2011 2:41:58 AM   
jcjordan

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

quote:

China
US
Phillipines

You left out Mexico, they had one fighter squadron in the pacific;

"The Escuadrón 201, a P-47D fighter squadron of the Fuerza Aérea Expedicionaria Mexicana (Mexican Expeditionary Air Force), served in the Pacific against Japan during World War II. It consisted of 25 aircraft and had 300 airmen and supporting staff. The 201 Squadron completed 96 combat missions over the Philippines and Formosa, now called Taiwan. It is the only unit of the Mexican armed forces ever to see overseas combat."

We should add them to AE

They're in the game already - don't have game loaded up but IIRC 58thFG/201stFS since they served as part of a US FG

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 15
RE: Japan's enemies - 12/8/2011 10:30:49 PM   
oldman45

I never noticed that, thanks JC

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Japan's enemies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI