Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Population Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Population Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:14:40 PM   
2ndACR

Okay, I have tried many times and starting to get aggravated by this.

I have a Securan colony just built, I set the same family on the colony screen to "do not accept" and also the other races to "do not accept", but yet my human's flock here and totally overpower the new race.

How in the heck do you keep planets pure for colonization or troop building purposes?

I want the planet to stay pure so I can colonize desert worlds, but also when I have great troop races they stay pure and not get overwhelmed by migrants.

Any help appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:16:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sounds like a possible bug to me. Could you upload a save file please?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 2
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:31:13 PM   
Bingeling

I believe Elliot has said that your "own" race is excluded from the filters. And "same family" is always relative to your own race, but this is no issue with humans and securans.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2966120

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:34:35 PM   
2ndACR

Okay where did they hide the saved files? I have looked all over the place?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:41:25 PM   
Bingeling

I don't think you need to upload, as it is working like intended.

In Vista and newer, you find savegame in (drive letter may be different).

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds

The AppData folder could be hidden, and you may have to change some folder option to show hidden files. And once in that folder you are probably able to locate the saves (they are by version).

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:44:11 PM   
2ndACR

Okay, so there is no way to keep a planet pure? In other words, your own race can and will flock to any planet and you have no control over that?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:49:50 PM   
Nedrear

Does not change the fact, that many players are asking for a race specific instead of family specific race policy.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:52:05 PM   
2ndACR

Here you go Erik, this is a save file from before I grabbed my Securans but I conquered a Mortalen race and tried to keep this one pure but it was a no go here too. All the way to the right colony name is Prukupea. Colony settings set the moment I conquered it.

Went ahead and uploaded save file, I named it Population save.

Should have named it different.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 8
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 4:53:34 PM   
2ndACR

I might have to jump on that band wagon then. Nothing worse than grabbing a great war fighting species only to have my own population overrun the place.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 7:05:17 PM   
BigWolf

Indeed, quite simply, you cannot control migration of your own race, only alien races based on if they are apart of your race family or not

Formally known as DeadZone

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 7:25:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi 2ndACR,

I misunderstood your original post, apologies for the confusion. If you are the Securans and you are trying to prevent the migration of Securans, then that's not possible. I thought you were trying to prevent the migration of Humans, which is possible.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to BigWolf)
Post #: 11
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 8:10:56 PM   
2ndACR

I am human and trying to prevent my humans from populating other worlds with different race. Sorry, my bad, thought we could isolate like that.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: Population Question - 12/4/2011 9:06:12 PM   
Nedrear

We can't but it was asked enough. I guess Elliot will give us the feature someday. If in a patch or the next AddOn is another matter...

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 13
RE: Population Question - 12/5/2011 9:28:58 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I am human and trying to prevent my humans from populating other worlds with different race. Sorry, my bad, thought we could isolate like that.

Don't you worry, it could be worse. Namely the way Eric said. The Humans overrunning the Securan is a temporary condition. Soon it would be the other way round, except, since you are playing the humans and not the Securans, you will now have the means to combat it (to an extent - you will still have limited means to prevent the Securan from sweeping away Ketarov, Quameno, Dhayut,... just about everyone except Gizurean and maybe Atuuk).

The ridiculous differences in growth rates and lack of environmental preferences (once the colonization techs have been researched) between the races see to it, that every universe will be in the end Gizurean/Securan (maybe Atuuk).

Interestingly, the introduction of race specific resource boosts further exacerbates the situation. The fast, happy growers get extra growth/happiness (which also translates into growth) from the right resources at their planets. To make a somewhat snide remark, you could come to the conclusion that the designers do not understand exponential growth.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 12/5/2011 1:11:09 PM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 14
RE: Population Question - 12/5/2011 2:00:45 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

Sorry, my bad, thought we could isolate like that.

It sounds like, form Erik's post, that it's "working as designed".

However, I'd argue that the design is bugged. The number of posts on the forum regarding this seems to make it clear that this is not understood by most players, nor do the players agree with or want it that way.

Hopefully it will be changed - but who knows.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 15
RE: Population Question - 12/5/2011 2:58:36 PM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

Sorry, my bad, thought we could isolate like that.

It sounds like, form Erik's post, that it's "working as designed".

However, I'd argue that the design is bugged. The number of posts on the forum regarding this seems to make it clear that this is not understood by most players, nor do the players agree with or want it that way.

Hopefully it will be changed - but who knows.

I wouldn't call it a 'bugged' design. If any options are introduced regarding how your own race is (dis-)allowed from moving around, the list of available restrictions should be seriously reduced. Sending your own people to penal colonies, or enslaving them, shouldn't be in the list for sure. The current system just doesn't allow us to reglement our own people in any way.

That lots of people (including me for certain!) aren't so happy with this, isn't in itself a sign of bugged or bad design. It is just part of the rules.

So, while I really would like to see work on this, (and the population growth mechanics I remarked on so snidely, above, and, and....) right now we have to take it as it is. Some changes would be nice, but the developers can't please everybody.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 12/5/2011 3:01:20 PM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 16
RE: Population Question - 12/5/2011 6:34:56 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbach2o

I wouldn't call it a 'bugged' design.

Whether or not it is indeed "bugged" depends on the Elliot's original intent. Did he foresee the problems people are having with this feature?

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbach2o
That lots of people (including me for certain!) aren't so happy with this, isn't in itself a sign of bugged or bad design. It is just part of the rules.

I don't think that the developer should pander to every whim of the customers - but it should be setting off alarm bells when they see multiple posts on the forum regarding a single issue.

Do the rules need to be changed? It might be possible that they just need to be better documented. Still - in its current state, most people playing the game and not going onto the forums will see this behaviour and respond with "WTF?" - that isn't the sort of reaction you want as an indie developer.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Population Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI