Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 2:04:28 AM   
zer0sum

My name is Dan and I am an independent software developer. For the past year and a half I have been creating a new 4x Action Strategy game for the PC called StarDrive.

See the Trailer Here!

StarDrive is a 4X Action-Strategy game where the goal is to build a space empire. Starting with a single planet and a small number of space-worthy vessels, you forge out into the galaxy, exploring new worlds, building new colonies, and discovering the StarDrive universe.

The heart of StarDrive is its ship design and combat engine. StarDrive takes a module-based approach to ship design, allowing the player to create custom ship designs where the composition and placement of ship modules really matters to the performance of a ship in combat. In combat, if your portside armor is taking a beating, then rotate around and show them the starboard side! Hide behind a friendly capital ship's shields, warp into and out of the fray, launch fighters, lay mines, and so much more.

I would ultimately like to have this game picked up by a publisher (Matrix!). But for now, I am still working on funding the art. I have a Kickstarter Campaign Here.

I would love to hear your feedback on my trailer and game concept, and I am happy to answer any questions you have about game mechanics and my vision. Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 4:57:09 AM   
n01487477

Hi -
I'm not going to pledge, but it does look interesting. You should check out StarFarer's (and others) model of early beta purchasing.
Games for submission:
http://www.matrixgames.com/corporate/submitting.asp

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to zer0sum)
Post #: 2
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:06:51 AM   
apathetic lurker

It does look interesting ...I might take the plunge

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:11:22 AM   
zer0sum

Hey guys. Any and all support is appreciated. I'm working hard to bring a combat demo out soon.

I have looked at Starfarer -- I even paid the $10 for it -- but I haven't heard anything about it since it was released. StarDrive right now is looking very polished, but we still have a lot of art to make and put into the game. Thus, the kickstarter.

If you have any questions about the game, I'd love to answer them.

< Message edited by zer0sum -- 12/4/2011 5:24:44 AM >

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 4
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:22:46 AM   
n01487477

Zer0sum -
I'll have a more closer look and have some Q's later. [edited]

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 12/4/2011 5:36:05 AM >

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to zer0sum)
Post #: 5
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:46:57 AM   
n01487477

Pretty amazing work so far...although hard to hear your voice in the video on youtube. You've got me so far ...

Would like to hear more about the economic side. Is it similar to the X2 universe in logistics etc? I play WiTP-AE and logistics are a big thing for me. Not just making money but actually having to deal with a proper logistic model in space is something I'd pay for. Bringing up supplies, equip etc and processing raw materials. Not just having Planets provide almost everything abstractly.

Still, if this is mainly combat orientated, it might still be cool; I'd say I'm not in the twitch brigade any more and looking for a more immersive, thoughtful experience.

Good luck with it all - I'm impressed.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:52:15 AM   
zer0sum

The main economic work in StarDrive is the acquisition of new planetary colonies. Colonies produce resources that are simplified into 4 categories: food, production, research, and money. Each resource fills a role. Food is consumed every game “turn” by the colonists on your planet. Insufficient food supply leads to starvation and population shrinkage; sufficient food supply allows population growth. The larger a planet’s population, the more resources it can produce. Production of resources generally is tied to planetary populaton.

“Production” is the resource used to build ships and buildings. For instance, a “mine” building will increase the production of a colony; however, you need production to build a mine. Building up a colony from the initial outpost to an industrial juggernaut involves ensuring that the planet has enough food for the population to grow, and enough production to bootstrap your way up.

So, I tried to model colonization of planets somewhat realistically. When you first get to a planet, you have very little with you, and you are not able to produce very much. However, you can accelerate planetary growth by assigning freighters to carry goods throughout your empire. The freighters are largely automated and will bring food, production, and also new colonists to your recently settled worlds.

Your trade network is therefore vital to properly growing your empire. Consequently, defending your trade network (or attacking your opponents’) is absolutely critical. Research is produced at planets as well with research facilities that you build there. You can choose to focus a planet by building higher-level, more expensive research buildings. You can also trade with alien races to acquire tech.

Finally, buildings and ships all cost money for maintenance. You have to have sufficent population to tax for income, and you can also raise money through trade with alien races and by researching economic improvements.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 7
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 6:08:16 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: zer0sum

The main economic work in StarDrive is the acquisition of new planetary colonies. Colonies produce resources that are simplified into 4 categories: food, production, research, and money. Each resource fills a role. Food is consumed every game “turn” by the colonists on your planet. Insufficient food supply leads to starvation and population shrinkage; sufficient food supply allows population growth. The larger a planet’s population, the more resources it can produce. Production of resources generally is tied to planetary populaton.

“Production” is the resource used to build ships and buildings. For instance, a “mine” building will increase the production of a colony; however, you need production to build a mine. Building up a colony from the initial outpost to an industrial juggernaut involves ensuring that the planet has enough food for the population to grow, and enough production to bootstrap your way up.

So, I tried to model colonization of planets somewhat realistically. When you first get to a planet, you have very little with you, and you are not able to produce very much. However, you can accelerate planetary growth by assigning freighters to carry goods throughout your empire. The freighters are largely automated and will bring food, production, and also new colonists to your recently settled worlds.

Your trade network is therefore vital to properly growing your empire. Consequently, defending your trade network (or attacking your opponents’) is absolutely critical. Research is produced at planets as well with research facilities that you build there. You can choose to focus a planet by building higher-level, more expensive research buildings. You can also trade with alien races to acquire tech.

Finally, buildings and ships all cost money for maintenance. You have to have sufficent population to tax for income, and you can also raise money through trade with alien races and by researching economic improvements.

Yep - what I thought, but doesn't break away from the usual 4X rules. I'd still buy your game but would love someone to make something a little different with the economics.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to zer0sum)
Post #: 8
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 6:55:57 AM   
zer0sum

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: zer0sum

Yep - what I thought, but doesn't break away from the usual 4X rules. I'd still buy your game but would love someone to make something a little different with the economics.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Early versions of StarDrive had much more complex economic systems, but I basically shelved that idea for a later title. It was exactly like you said with raw materials processing and so on. I do like that, but it smacks more of work and less of play, and ultimately I want to put accessibility and fun first.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 9
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 8:35:36 AM   
JudgeDredd

That looks bloody good. I hope Matrix picks it up. I'm impressed with the artwork so far.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to zer0sum)
Post #: 10
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 1:26:58 PM   
wodin

The only thing I don't like the sound of is that combat is like an arcade shooter. I'd rather it be based on Ship weapons\systems\Commnader and Crew Skill and you give them orders...depending on how good the crew is and ship systems depends on how well they manage to fight and carry out orders.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:22:04 PM   
doomtrader

Indeed looks interesting

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 5:33:22 PM   
zer0sum

I'm glad you guys like it. Please spread the word around. The more attention I can get right now, the better this game is going to be. The art assets are expensive and a successful kickstarter campaign is really going to help.

(in reply to zer0sum)
Post #: 13
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 6:03:23 PM   
martok

Yep, definitely looking forward to this one. Seems like 4x games are almost making a bit of a comeback, and that makes me very happy indeed!

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Would like to hear more about the economic side. Is it similar to the X2 universe in logistics etc? I play WiTP-AE and logistics are a big thing for me. Not just making money but actually having to deal with a proper logistic model in space is something I'd pay for. Bringing up supplies, equip etc and processing raw materials. Not just having Planets provide almost everything abstractly.

n01487477, have you tried Distant Worlds yet?

It's in real-time, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea (including my own, in fact), but it boasts the most in-depth and "realistic" supply/logistics model I've yet seen in a 4x title. Between that, and its complexity (which I'm guessing are two of the things you love about WITP:AE), I suspect you might like it.

< Message edited by martok -- 12/4/2011 6:06:04 PM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 14
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/4/2011 9:46:17 PM   
rhondabrwn

Wow! Looks very impressive. Matrix should partner with you ASAP!

I will definitely buy this.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Want Navajo Nation Photos? Go to:
http://fardareismai.piczo.com/?cr=4&rfm=y

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 15
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/5/2011 12:40:37 AM   
Terl

Great progress so far. Looks very interesting. I would give it a go for sure.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 16
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/6/2011 10:52:04 PM   
Platoon Crusher

I've pledged some money on this and I hope it is as good as it looks. I eagerly await its completion.

Thank you !

quote:

What's with the negative waves?

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 17
RE: StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) - 12/7/2011 6:46:42 AM   
Anguille

Pledged...

Armada 2526 Supernova and Distant Worlds - Legends: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

(in reply to Platoon Crusher)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> StarDrive. (Take Distant Worlds + Escape Velocity) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI