Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Depth and formation effects

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Depth and formation effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Depth and formation effects - 12/3/2011 6:51:29 AM   
fleischer

I was wondering how formation depth is related to formation effects(i.e. firing, target, security). For instance, what kind of protection does a unit attacking in line formation with a depth of 1000 get to its flanks? Does it get 'Min' as stated in the manual, or is this improved as the depth is increased? Should such a unit be considered as being in line formation at all?
Post #: 1
RE: Depth and formation effects - 12/3/2011 3:58:01 PM   
Lieste

The max/norm/min are more for the AI selecting a suitable formation rather than 'protection' from fire as such. The actual morale/fire rules use the footprint sizes to determine fires/targets that might be within range etc.

(in reply to fleischer)
Post #: 2
RE: Depth and formation effects - 12/3/2011 9:33:07 PM   
fleischer

Aha. So am I correct to assume that the 'Firing'/'Target' percentages given in Annex B of the manual, are only applicable for the default formation depth - i.e. that a unit moving in line formation with widthxdepth == 1000x1000 has equal 'Firing'/'Target' percentages on the front and flanks(or at least more equal than it would have had with a smaller depth)?

Thanks for the answer.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Depth and formation effects - 12/3/2011 10:54:08 PM   
Lieste

Well... no not really.

With long ranged weapons well within the limit, the firing percentages are as written, but the security etc are for information/decision making only.
But the individual weapons will fire at different ranges for forward/centre/rear of firing unit in the direction of fire. So not all elements may be at an effective range for mutually large footprints.

With shorter ranged weapons the rear of the units may be out of range, while the fronts can fire - this will reduce the firepower separately from the nominal formation effects.

Dismounted infantry will occupy the front 'target' area, and their transport the rear - so here the frontage, depth and orientation will affect vulnerability and firepower.

I'd generally accept the default formation size - relatively small allowing easier movement in covered terrain and reducing the likelihood of random artillery fires falling on it, but large enough to not unduly increase the effectiveness of artillery and other fires.

Most effects are subtle enough that you might never see them 'in action' or need to give them undue consideration.

(in reply to fleischer)
Post #: 4
RE: Depth and formation effects - 12/4/2011 1:09:54 AM   
johndoesecond

quote:

So am I correct to assume that the 'Firing'/'Target' percentages given in Annex B of the manual, are only applicable for the default formation depth - i.e. that a unit moving in line formation with widthxdepth == 1000x1000 has equal 'Firing'/'Target' percentages on the front and flanks(or at least more equal than it would have had with a smaller depth)?

I don't think they would have the same "percentages", although the dimensions of the footprint are of course a relevant factor.

The firing and target rates and their related calculations are complicated. They take into account the formation type together with the orientation of the footprint, as well as using depth and frontage values to calculate hit rates modelling manpower density, exposition, etc.

So, for example, if you order a unit to move in arrowhead formation of the size 1000x1000m, if would still be "stronger" in the front and more vulnerable from the rear than, say, an all-round formation of the same footprint size.

< Message edited by johndoesecond -- 12/4/2011 1:10:15 AM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 5
RE: Depth and formation effects - 12/6/2011 1:16:23 AM   
fleischer

Ah, I see. Thanks for answers

(in reply to johndoesecond)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Depth and formation effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI