Matrix Games Forums

War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real Life OOB and Casualties?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Real Life OOB and Casualties? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real Life OOB and Casualties? - 12/3/2011 4:16:39 AM   
Shupov

It would be very interesting to know the real life strengths and casualties for each side at different points in the war.

Example - after Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration etc. what were the actual:

OOB
Manpower
Guns
Tanks
Planes

Losses
Killed
Captured
Disabled
Guns Destroyed
Tanks Destroyed
Planes Destroyed

Then WitE players could compare their games with history not just in territory but in men and equipment as well.

Many historic sources are available (e.g. David Glantz et al) but it's hard to equivalence their numbers with the game, especially for Men Disabled. Possibly the WitE team would share the numbers they used to calibrate the game with the actual campaign.

Two broken Tigers on fire in the night,
Flicker their souls to the wind...

Al Stewart, "Roads to Moscow"
Post #: 1
RE: Real Life OOB and Casualties? - 12/3/2011 12:34:37 PM   
OTZ

Casualty figures are especially difficult in terms of arriving at a definitive figure. Both the Russians and Germans had different reporting methods (for both men and materiel), and both were plagued by complete organizational chaos at different periods of the war (making accurate reporting difficult at those times). I believe  Krivosheev's accounting for the Russians, and perhaps Overman's for the Germans, are the most popular (but not necessarily the most accurate) sources for casualty info.

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Real Life OOB and Casualties? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI