New Distant Worlds: Legends v1.7.0.4 Public Beta Available!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

New Distant Worlds: Legends v1.7.0.4 Public Beta Available!

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hello All,

There is a new version of the Public Beta in the Members Club. It fixes many reported issues and makes a few improvements. All listed below, with links to the previous update changes. We hope to make this an official update next week.

Please give it a try if you are interested and give us your feed back on these changes.

v1.7.0.4 Beta - December 2, 2011
    [b]CRASH FIXES [/b]
  • fixed rare crash when building new ships

DESIGNS SCREEN
  • Delete button now allows multi-selecting designs to delete
  • Copy As New button now creates new design with name "Ship Name Mk2", etc (as for Upgrades)
  • added row color coding with tooltip to indicate manually created designs
  • added explanatory message when player attempts to edit design already in use

DESIGNS AND RETROFITTING
  • auto-retrofit and advisor-retrofit now properly excludes advanced ships and bases
  • now ensure no Carrier ship designs are generated before empire has researched Fighter Bays

RESEARCH
  • increased number of research labs on AI designs for research stations and medium space port
  • empires now start the game with a research station, allowing them to reach Research output sooner

FLEETS AND BATTLES
  • when a colony that was a fleet base changes ownership (e.g. invaded), the fleet now immediately resets its home base to somewhere else
  • fixed bug where fleets would occasionally head to refuel at top-left corner of galaxy
  • improved automated attack fleet reassignment when war ends with an empire (when Fleet Formation is automated)
  • invading the colony of another empire is now much more likely to result in instant declaration of war from target empire
  • enabled bombardment of independent colonies

FUEL
  • new colonies now have higher fuel stocks
  • increased fuel stock levels at colonies without spaceports
  • slightly increased mining rate for gas extractors

CARRIERS AND FIGHTERS
  • carriers with no weapons (only fighter bays) can now attack targets properly
  • fighters will respond to attack targets better (less patrolling around carrier)

PIRATES AND GAME EVENTS
  • pirate ships now flee when shields are at 50% to reflect their raiding style
  • legendary pirates now only appear if Disaster events are enabled (Start New Game - Victory Conditions step) AND pirate prevalence is not "None" (Start New Game - The Galaxy step)
  • SilverMist creature now only appears if Disaster events are enabled (Start New Game - Victory Conditions step) AND space creature prevalence is not "None" (Start New Game - The Galaxy step)

RACES AND CHARACTERS
  • increased chance of random character generation when no characters of particular type in empire (e.g. scientists)
  • allowed Naxxilian race to research Armor

USER INTERFACE
  • improved mouse cursor display in Research screen (no flickering)
  • altered description of invasion forces at colony in Selection Panel: include population in total defenders, but in brackets indicate population strength

MODDING
  • fixed bug where special government types could not be selected in Start New Game screen for Other Empires when a custom theme is active

OTHER
  • advisors now check whether Terraforming Facility exists at colony before recommending building a new one
  • fixed occasional situation where trading some techs would not work

1.7.0.1 Changes
1.7.0.2 Changes
1.7.0.3 Changes
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Kruos

RE: New Distant Worlds: Legends v1.7.0.4 Public Beta Available!

Post by Kruos »

Yeeeeees! Thank you guys! (I was waiting for some hours... :P)
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

My commands to fleets/ships are still overwritten by the computer.

Its thus still unplayable and I will wait for the next patch.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

[*] slightly increased mining rate for gas extractors

I can't comprehend this change... the gas extractors - considering the double cap on gas in general - are already more than twice capable than a normal mining device and you increased it? I never need more than 3 to reach max...

Maybe you wanted this to prevent a complete overhaul of AI designs?
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

I agree with this, but I do appreciate a lot of these additions and fixes. Some of them I was just thinking of asking for myself! Thanks guys!
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

[*] slightly increased mining rate for gas extractors

I can't comprehend this change... the gas extractors - considering the double cap on gas in general - are already more than twice capable than a normal mining device and you increased it? I never need more than 3 to reach max...

Maybe you wanted this to prevent a complete overhaul of AI designs?

yep, I think the main problem with the fuel is, that the computer sends 10 ships to get steel for your main colony, each transporting miniscule amounts, and no freighter transports fuel to your homeworld (from the gas giant your homeworld is orbiting) to refuel those 10 steel freighters (with 9 of them being useless and only consuming fuel, since everything they transport would fit in 1 freighter).
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Are old saves working?
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

old saves usually work with the patches, it just takes a few game years for all the updates to kick in.

Though some of the changes they list of course, wont effect anything except new games.

HercMighty

Post by HercMighty »

Mine crashes everytime at startup right when "fuelling pirate ships" comes up on the load screen....
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It's perfectly playable here. I understand you are exaggerating to bring attention to this issue, but a bug report with a save would help us a lot more.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi HercMighty,
ORIGINAL: HercMighty
Mine crashes everytime at startup right when "fuelling pirate ships" comes up on the load screen....

It's working fine here, could you please try a reinstall?

If it continues to crash, please post the crash dump log for us. You can find it in the folder under your saved games folder.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
HercMighty

Post by HercMighty »

Looking for the save game folder...know where it should be?

Do I need to just re-install Legends or all three? Don't know if I have the installs for the other two...have to go look, was never good at that. Hope someday Matrix has a Impulse or Steam client...that is one nice feature...
Shadowsage

Post by Shadowsage »

Is there an alternate mirror for the beta? My University won't let me download here. :(
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Erik, just confirming that these patches are cumulative? I was playing 1.7.0.0 and have not patched...so all I need is the 1.7.0.4 correct?
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

yep, I think the main problem with the fuel is, that the computer sends 10 ships to get steel for your main colony, each transporting miniscule amounts, and no freighter transports fuel to your homeworld (from the gas giant your homeworld is orbiting) to refuel those 10 steel freighters (with 9 of them being useless and only consuming fuel, since everything they transport would fit in 1 freighter).

We are right, what does a gas extractor on a ship or station have to do with steel being mined overproportional and in bad amounts which needs refueling? The problems are solved with new AI scripts and new pre designs. Tweaking the overpowered extractors to be more powered is useless.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
HercMighty

Post by HercMighty »

Erik,

Dunno starting working now...Can I find a way to get a copy of the Return expansion file? I have my original DW and the Legends expansion but not that one...just in case I got to do a re-install?
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

What automation settings are you using?  If something is set to automatic, then the computer is going to control it, set it to manual.

Been playing for two years here and to be completely honest I have not the slightest clue what you are talking about [&:]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

I echo Woodman.
Eystein_hansen

Post by Eystein_hansen »

Awesome. Now if we have a highscore screen  [X(] I would be one happy customer :)
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

What automation settings are you using?  If something is set to automatic, then the computer is going to control it, set it to manual.

Been playing for two years here and to be completely honest I have not the slightest clue what you are talking about [&:]

Sorry,

Unless you are talking about ships refueling in the middle of a fight. Reason: ships can not fire weapons or recharge shields without fuel

or

Ships ignoring your attack command because they are fleeing. Reason: Your crews are not suicidal.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”