Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Giving orders at Regimental levels and above....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/2/2011 9:12:15 PM   
GBS

Was there some mention here that there was a problem in the game when giving orders at the Regimental or higher level? I have been experimenting with this issue at the start of the Battle of the Roadblocks scenario. I am trying it by giving the initial attack order to the regiment which has two Batts. and several support units and by giving attack orders to the two Batts separately and trying to coordinate the attack times. The scenario starts at 6:00. Giving the order through the Regiment the attack didn't start in earnest until about 14:00. It seemed as though it took forever to reach the FUP and then way to long to organize. The objective still had not been obtained when its time limit expired at 20:00. Not too good. some things I noticed. The Batt with tanks moved out to the FUP while the Mech Inf Batt lagged behind and even though the units showed the move task, it would stop for hours at a time with no activity. Should I be given these orders to the Batts individually. I will try that later and see if I can improve on that miserable performance.

< Message edited by GBS -- 12/2/2011 9:15:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/2/2011 10:54:17 PM   
simovitch

Yes, orders above Bn level seem prone to lock up. Dave fixed this and tested OK and will be available with the next public beta.

simovitch

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/5/2011 7:26:26 PM   
GBS

Anyone have an idea of when this next beta will be available?

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 3
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/5/2011 7:57:36 PM   
simovitch

We just started testing a new build this morning, with the fixes to the bombardment duration and other stuff. That's all I know.

simovitch

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 4
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/5/2011 10:15:07 PM   
Arjuna

We provided Matrix with Build 4.2.248 last week and they said they hoped to release it mid this week ( they are flat out at the mopment woith the current release schedule ). In the meantime, as Richard just informed you, we are ploughing on with more fixes and have released to the beta testers a replacement exe #1 for Builf 4.2.248. If this passes muster then we'll work up yet anopther full build and provide this to Matrix by the end of the week.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 1:30:20 AM   
wodin

Not trying to sound funny here but I honestly feel Matrix should start giving some priority to BftB...as we know many spent alot of money on it and it seems that we are low down on Matrix agenda...which is wrong. As it was one of the most expensive games for awhile it should be given precendent with regards to patches etc etc.

I wish Panther were allowed to post the patches some place else aswell.

Seriously I'm not happy with the way Matrix seems to organise it's priorities. Especially if the beta patch has some signifcant bugs when released as soon as they are fixed (like they have been) Matrix should get the patch out ASAP...not shove it down some list.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 11:21:44 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Seriously I'm not happy with the way Matrix seems to organise it's priorities. Especially if the beta patch has some signifcant bugs when released as soon as they are fixed (like they have been) Matrix should get the patch out ASAP...not shove it down some list.

I think Matrix has had some in-house trouble. I remember that Erik was basically cut off for a few weeks because of the late Summer floods on the Eastern Coast. And some of the staff also disappeared/their activity was an all-time low around that time. Probably they have a huge backlog of work and they decided to prioritize certain releases (such as Distant Worlds, which is probably to become a HUGE thing). Other teams seem to be self-supporting, such as the WitE team.

So seems that triage has left BftB fans waiting in our stretchers, moaning from the pain of one thousand paper cuts :) Does anybody have a spare ciggy?

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 11:35:09 AM   
Arjuna

Matrix contacted me today and asked whether they should use the latest Replacement Exe #1 for Build 4.2.248 ( ie the one I put out to our beta testers yesterday ) in the next beta patch release. I gave the go ahead. So they are working on it. Please be patient.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 8
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 2:32:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

It'll likely be nothing more than they have a plan for things happening - and they happen - in that order. If a patch turns up out the blue or perhaps past it's original scheduled date, then it gets slotted where it can.

I've never had the impression Matrix favour new releases over patches - though you couldn't help but understand if they did.

It's all Daves fault anyway - he's such a perfectionist that the patch took an age to get here anyway - and it's been exaccerbated by Matrix being busy when the patch actually turns up.

Who would have it any other way

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 9
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 5:01:33 PM   
wodin

I unerstand all that but surely it doesn't take to lomng to upload a patch?

Again a shame Panther can't release the patches themselves on their webpage.

Blimey some games have nightly builds! So this tells me it really can't be some long drawn out time consuming process to put a patch up for download.

Still I can wait. Though I still feel a bumdeal is had.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 5:27:10 PM   
GBS

What he said......

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 11
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 7:19:11 PM   
JudgeDredd

It isn't just uploading it though - they have to run the installer, check it does what it's meant to do and check it on other OSs - nothing is ever as simple as you think - even though it might appear so.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 12
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/6/2011 10:16:44 PM   
Arjuna

What he said!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/7/2011 12:33:41 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

It isn't just uploading it though - they have to run the installer, check it does what it's meant to do and check it on other OSs - nothing is ever as simple as you think - even though it might appear so.

True but again that doesn't sound like a job thats going to take to much time during the day. Intsall the patch on say six (Win XP 32 and 64, Vista 32 and 63, and Win 7 32 and 64) machines. If it works on all six then upload. Say that would take about 45 mins max an hour.

Anyway it's just my opinioon and I'm sure i'm totally wrong due to ignorance of these things. I suppose I feel once fave has sent it onto them it should then be a priority to get it out there, especially with the unti lock up bug needing fixing. I haven't really had a go of the game with the mew patch as I'm waiting for this particular issue to be sorted.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/7/2011 4:48:34 PM   
GBS

wodin, I saw one of these installers once. I'd say it was about the size of a chest of drawers. When I saw it, it was being built and there must have been 12 guys in lab coats working all around it. Then of course, once it was completed it had to be tested and you must know how long it take to test a complicated device as that.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 15
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/7/2011 6:15:34 PM   
wodin

^^

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 16
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 2:43:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Wodin,

Believe it or not, this is as quickly as we could do it. The fact that we had three releases and several other back-logged updates in the same timespan had something to do with that. And yes, it takes more than just a few minutes. We do a lot of checking and testing before we send these out to you. If we did not, you'd get them faster, but I'm not sure you'd be happier.

I regret any delay, but we did the best we could on this and have been working late every day for weeks with the pre-Christmas crunch.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 3:38:59 AM   
jwarrenw13

I googled "installer" and found this.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 6:23:08 AM   
Arjuna

Thanks Erik and Andrew. I'm sure we all (including wodin) appeciate your efforts.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 19
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 11:35:19 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
I regret any delay, but we did the best we could on this and have been working late every day for weeks with the pre-Christmas crunch.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts guys. I guessed you had to do some triage. Is there any chances of bribing you guys so BftB comes to the top of the list? Cigarettes? Chocolate? Calvados bottles?

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 20
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 1:45:37 PM   
wodin

Eric, thanks for the explanation.

I did say I was pretty clueless with regards to these things. I was just getting impatient because I didn't want to try the new patch until the lock up unit bug had been quashed.

As usual with these things once the patch arrives all is forgiven and apologies ensue.

So sorry for moaning.

Think of it this way. If we thought the game was crap we wouldn't even be here bemoaning the release of the patch. it's because the game is that good that impatience comes into play. Like petulant children wanting sweets NOW!!

Big thanks to Panther and Matrix.

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/8/2011 1:52:00 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 3:32:31 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Actually, I just started a mini-AAR of the Höfen Ho-Down scenario on the AAR section to check the formation lock-up thing. And it seems to be gone now (well, one Coy was reluctant to go forward, but given the situation, I can understand that ).

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 22
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 3:50:07 PM   
GBS

Could that reluctance of the reserve to commit be influenced by the morale and experience level of the unit along with the leadership and initiative ratings of the commander of the regiment/battalion?

Post #: 23
RE: Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... - 12/8/2011 3:59:25 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

Could that reluctance of the reserve to commit be influenced by the morale and experience level of the unit along with the leadership and initiative ratings of the commander of the regiment/battalion?

(Answering to you in the wrong thread)

Yes, I think it's a combination of that and orders delay.

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 12/8/2011 4:01:00 PM >

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Giving orders at Regimental levels and above.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI