Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to expect in 1942

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to expect in 1942 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 6:15:09 PM   
freeboy

well, there re players who LOVE the managment aspect.. for myself its not me.. so this level of managment is already too much for my tasts.. but I am aware others want even more.. no worries.. just make things simple.. currently we can either manage airforces, as an example, or let the ia with a few settings...
adding another layer of player controlled supply would effectively kill this game for me, IF I had to micro manage it... my opinion only as a long term/time gamer 

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 31
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 6:18:55 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

Not too much micromanagement: just establishing priorities, or if you want, setting a general "policy". That doesn't amount - I think - to forcing anyone to write a memo to Halder to complain about his soldiers not getting new socks ;)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 32
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 6:45:46 PM   
freeboy

I agree  but in my order of priorities for GG WITE part 2, perhaps this is not my number one priority..

Post #: 33
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 6:58:41 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

On the thread where I got pissed off, besides pissing off, also proposed some changes to logistics game mechanics which involved making supply flow, capacity and availability to be "regional" or rather "bound to territory", while removing the "freebie" which is allowing everyone and his dog to draw supply from a railhead as if setting up a logistics hub was something could be done by a division on a whim.

I suggest a simple (and good 'ole carboard game) solution: Supply counters. In 1941, the Germans get 3 (one for each AG) in 1941, then lose 1 in late 41, lose another in late 42, and lose the third in summer 43. Russians get 1 in late 1941, and another in early 43. Any units within XX radius of the supply unit gets additional (sustained offensive) supply. Units outside of the radius get basic/nominal supply (enough for sustained defense, but would quickly burn out in a few turns of attack). Russian radius and supply bonus would be a little less than the equivalent German supply unit.

However, methinks this solution is too simple for the creators/visionaries of WitE, as it dosen't count individual truck spare tire availability or take into account mobile bath and laundry units...

Post #: 34
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 7:17:44 PM   
freeboy

I strongly object to timed rules..
and yes.. youre elegent simple solution does not address rail supplies... bottlenecks and is too simple.. now how many spair tires do I need? lol

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 35
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 10:13:25 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schmart
I suggest a simple (and good 'ole carboard game) solution: Supply counters. In 1941, the Germans get 3 (one for each AG) in 1941, then lose 1 in late 41, lose another in late 42, and lose the third in summer 43. Russians get 1 in late 1941, and another in early 43. Any units within XX radius of the supply unit gets additional (sustained offensive) supply. Units outside of the radius get basic/nominal supply (enough for sustained defense, but would quickly burn out in a few turns of attack). Russian radius and supply bonus would be a little less than the equivalent German supply unit.

However, methinks this solution is too simple for the creators/visionaries of WitE, as it dosen't count individual truck spare tire availability or take into account mobile bath and laundry units...

Not a bad idea, except the problem isn't "too simple", is that it's too easily gamed.

You know how many "supply counters" your opponent has; let's say two. You are getting attacked in two sectors. What are your chances, then, of being attacked in a third sector?

Zero, and the defensive player knows this. That's the problem.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 36
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 10:58:40 PM   
Hermann

a simple temporary fix would be to take Korps out of the supply link - theyre tactical command HQs and have no supply function whatsoever. that allows supply to accumulate at army hq from the homeland. Strict supply/morale penalties for overburdened army hqs keep the divisional numbers down in army formations and the cost of moving army hqs is increased by the total supply present ( by rail or even truck ) these army hqs become legitimate air targets that need to be protected and assaults on them by air can effectively slow an enemy attack over time as occured historically.

an army functions as a literal railhead and needs to stay on active raillines to function that means rail attrition during the trip to the army hq. supply needs to be transported from the army hq to the divisions by truck and /or rail if possible which means truck attrition for each hex carried and a reduction of the supply reaching the unit. as the army hqs stocks decline naturally so does unit supply so opverpacking an hq results in a faster loss of supply.

< Message edited by Hermann -- 12/1/2011 11:02:53 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/1/2011 11:15:02 PM   
bigbaba

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Beanie

Starting with 1.05.xx GC from the beginning in a competitive PBEM setting, I'm finding the Germans can now launch 1941-style blitzkriegs and encirclements in the summer of 1942. Since there's no need to maintain panzer divisions on the rest of the front, the Germans can concentrate their whole armored force in one region and overwhelm your defenses. I haven't seen any threads warning me to expect these sorts of offensives in 1942, so I'm ringing the alarm bell now. Russian players need to be prepared to consider running away again as the wisest defense, because you can't afford the major losses I've suffered trying to reopen the pockets, just to see yourself get surrounded again.

I believe it's the one week movement rates that allow the extreme mobility that creates the 1941-style pockets. Either the movement rates need to be lowered in 1942, and/or the time scale needs to be reduced to 3.5 day turns during the summer turns to allow the defender to react quicker. I'm finding that the Germans are as strong, if not stronger in 1942 than they are in 1941. Anyway, be forewarned.

hi there.

i agree here 100%. i did the same in my game as axis and concentrated 17 panzer and 13 mot. divisions in the south in summer 42. result was 80% of the best troops of the red army encirceld and my opponent gave up.

now playing the soviet i have to play sir robinovsky myself in 42 to avoid huge loses to my german opponent.

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 38
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 12:14:44 AM   
Farfarer

I am really enjoying summer 42 as Sov, even though my excellent opponent re-destroyed the SW Front. I have tank Corps, Guards Cav Corps, Guards Rifle divs and Guards divs up the ying yang, with crap morale, buy hey they get MP 48 (the tanks) and exploit until they are routed. Even without 1:1 = 2:1 I can concentrate 1000's of aircraft, bomb a 3 stack tired Panzer corps and get a retreat when I assault. Of course hands me new one on his counter-attack, then I bring up another Front... you get the picture. Gotta like Inf Corps with CV 12.

The lower Russian NM is good as it means you can't totally neglect the northern fronts, or everything turns unready if they are in the front. Static mode has a defensive purpose, AP farming is no longer the intent.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 39
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 4:50:20 AM   
Klydon

I like seeing this thread as it begins to get the Russian side thinking of strategies and tactics for how the game currently is.

Historically, the Russians were weak in the spring and early summer of 1942; in some ways even weaker than in the opening days of 1941 in terms of unit skill. The game now generally reflects that. As a disclaimer, I have not had a chance to work in a campaign as the Russians yet under 1.05, but this comes from observation, etc.

To me, some important things the Russians must look at is trying to rebuild a cadre of quality (for Russian) units to use at decisive points and times against the Germans. Until then, the Russians should keep them out of sight and away from harm and continue to work on increasing that pool of units. Examples of these units include guards, mountain, cav corps, and as you get them to come on line, tank corps.

During the winter, the Russians not only want to hurt the Germans as much as possible, but also use it to build moral and get as many units promoted to guards as they can. This also includes tank brigades as well. As soon as a unit hits guard status, they should usually be withdrawn to rest and be brought up to full strength. Tank brigades need to be removed immediately to be saved for being formed into tank corps.

As some others have mentioned, defense in depth and having deep reserves is the way to go imo. Good AP management is a must as well since you want to be able to form new units as needed (you should actually have a trickle of new units in a pipeline every turn until close to mud in the fall of 1942 or until the German appears to have shut down offensive operations). The only way you can really lose the game is put yourself in a postion where the Germans have removed enough counters that you can't defend. (This assumes you did ok with evacing industry).

The other thing I have seen is the Russians sit a bit too calmly on the total defensive and simply react to what the Germans are doing (usually in the south). This sort of plays into the German hands as he wants the front quite in many spots while he concentrates his best units and tries to wipe out a large chunk of your army. To me, I would consider having a shock army (or two) in reserve for offensive operations. The idea is once the German becomes committed in the south, you start hammering the line someplace else. You simply can't go toe to toe with the best of the German army in the first part of 1942, so don't even try it. Instead, try to limit the damage, but don't be afraid to give ground. In 1942, he has to beat your army and get a lot of counters gone. On the other hand, the German army breaks when he gets knocked down to a certain amount of infantry. You need to figure out how to cause more losses to his infantry. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but stretch his line, beat on his infantry and make him commit more resources to defending where you are attacking. Make him be out of static so his attrition will be higher. If he shows up to counter what you are doing in sufficient force, fade away. You can't risk your good units yet because you simply don't have enough of them. Consider rotating units depending on what happens so you can increase your pool of good units.

(in reply to Farfarer)
Post #: 40
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 8:57:12 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Thank you for the quality posts either on-topic or off-topic, but let me focus on what Klydon wrote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon
The other thing I have seen is the Russians sit a bit too calmly on the total defensive and simply react to what the Germans are doing (usually in the south). This sort of plays into the German hands as he wants the front quite in many spots while he concentrates his best units and tries to wipe out a large chunk of your army. To me, I would consider having a shock army (or two) in reserve for offensive operations. The idea is once the German becomes committed in the south, you start hammering the line someplace else. You simply can't go toe to toe with the best of the German army in the first part of 1942, so don't even try it. Instead, try to limit the damage, but don't be afraid to give ground. In 1942, he has to beat your army and get a lot of counters gone.

That's one of the keys, indeed. There are indeed places where the Red Army can strike with strength and possibly catch the Wehrmacht unprepared (Q-Ball, just pretend you're not reading this ;) ). This will depend on how the game has played out so far. But the truth is that if the German decides to play "safe" and have substantial motorized reserves along the front, his southern push (if that's his plan, of course) will probably turn out to be quite anemic.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 41
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 12:42:55 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

(Q-Ball, just pretend you're not reading this ;) ).

I Know Nozink!

Seriously, that is good advice though for Soviet players. Don't let the Germans strip the whole front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 12:58:34 PM   
Flaviusx

Seeing how the quiet sectors of the front will be up north in all likelihood, I'm kind of doubting the effectiveness of trying to smack well dug in German infantry in the Valdai hills or the swamps and forests east of Leningrad. These are precisely the areas where I myself am stripping things down to bone and want to keep my commitment to the bare minimum. It's also the only place on the map the Soviet can safely use static mode.

I prefer to throw in reserves where the panzers are and hit them.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 43
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 1:12:03 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Seeing how the quiet sectors of the front will be up north in all likelihood, I'm kind of doubting the effectiveness of trying to smack well dug in German infantry in the Valdai hills or the swamps and forests east of Leningrad. These are precisely the areas where I myself am stripping things down to bone and want to keep my commitment to the bare minimum. It's also the only place on the map the Soviet can safely use static mode.

I prefer to throw in reserves where the panzers are and hit them.

I think that's a bit too one-dimensional and actually plays on German hands. Yes, striking on the spearheads is something one needs to do. But, realistically, there's no way to defeat them, say, in a couple "decisive" turns. Expecting to fight - and win - an epic meeting engagement of armored forces on the steppes is wishful thinking.

The point about the north is true, launching an offensive into the Karelian Isthmus or the Valdai Hills is nuts. South of the Valdai hills, it's a different story.

EDIT: Edited for clarity

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 12/2/2011 1:30:06 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 44
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 1:24:39 PM   
Klydon

While there may be "nothing" up north in terms of a geographical objective for the Red Army, that is not the point. The point is to bleed the German army more than he expects and cause him as many headaches away from his main armored effort. It doesn't take a huge force of Russians to do this (army or two tops) and you will have plenty to go at it down south. The other point is the Germans are likely not to be well dug in anyplace for the most part because of the new rules and even if they are, it will likely be 1 line worth of forts that is worth a lick. Crack that and the Germans either start pulling back or have to respond. Either way is a win for the Russians.

Post #: 45
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 1:30:54 PM   
ComradeP

The Germans will fairly quickly dig to level 3 forts, and even level 2 forts are sufficient up there due to the difficult terrain. 6 ~3 CV Rifle divisions=~18 CV. A ~5 CV German infantry division in a level 3 fort (with terrain bonus)=~20 CV, in a level 4 fort (with terrain bonus)=~25 CV.

You won't get anywhere without Rifle corps and artillery divisions.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 46
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 1:50:30 PM   
Flaviusx

It's not about winning a meeting engagement. It's about grinding the panzers and taking the edge of them. Lowering their CVs and chewing up their ammo. They are also far more vulnerable to attacks than dug in landsers. Panzers are the easy targets. (Well, except for any Axis minor you're lucky to run into.)

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 47
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:02:34 PM   
Q-Ball

If you are thinking long-term (like into 1944), attacking the Finns is a good idea. They get almost no replacements, and can't go into STATIC mode, meaning they also suffer more attrition.

I had a successful northern offensive against Tarhunnas; the main point was to force him to commit several German divisions, which he did, including Panzers.

I see alot of players keep the Finnish Army on the line past Blizzard, which is a mistake IMO. You need to pull them off to rebuild morale and keep their losses low. You can always use them for quick counterattacks up there. (Now I'm giving things away to B-G: This is why I am replacing most of the Finnish army in the line this spring. Now you know!)

If nothing else, I think you have to convince the German player there COULD be an attack anywhere, so they don't completely strip large sections of the front to reinforce the South (which seems like is where everyone's 1942 offensive is).

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 12/2/2011 3:04:52 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 48
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:24:49 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

The Germans will fairly quickly dig to level 3 forts, and even level 2 forts are sufficient up there due to the difficult terrain. 6 ~3 CV Rifle divisions=~18 CV. A ~5 CV German infantry division in a level 3 fort (with terrain bonus)=~20 CV, in a level 4 fort (with terrain bonus)=~25 CV.

You won't get anywhere without Rifle corps and artillery divisions.

Fort levels melt quickly when confronted with masses of Sapper Regiments. So Corps are needed, Arty divisions should give the extra oomph.

And again, just looking the terrain between Rzhev and Orel is much easier than north of Rzhev.

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 12/2/2011 3:25:38 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 49
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:32:57 PM   
Q-Ball

Rhzev to Orel.....got it!

I do agree that the Valdai Hills are probably not a good target. If the Germans blow it off too much I can see the Russians making some hay, but it doesn't take much to defend that position, and it's not worth taking in particular.

Post #: 50
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:40:00 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
Rhzev to Orel.....got it!

ComradeP twisted my arm

quote:

I do agree that the Valdai Hills are probably not a good target. If the Germans blow it off too much I can see the Russians making some hay, but it doesn't take much to defend that position, and it's not worth taking in particular.

Well, I can always try to strike across Luchessa river with one of my Mech Corps and then you bring GrossDeutschland to play. That was a very interesting battle, by the way, covered by TCS GD'42.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 51
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:41:04 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

I see alot of players keep the Finnish Army on the line past Blizzard, which is a mistake IMO. You need to pull them off to rebuild morale and keep their losses low. You can always use them for quick counterattacks up there. (Now I'm giving things away to B-G: This is why I am replacing most of the Finnish army in the line this spring. Now you know!)

I guessed that the thing with setting up a "diversion" can work both ways

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 52
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 3:43:43 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

Fort levels melt quickly when confronted with masses of Sapper Regiments. So Corps are needed, Arty divisions should give the extra oomph.

Even though you could also assign the sapper regiments to army HQ's, the penalty for the number of units involved might outweigh their benefit.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Post #: 53
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 4:53:50 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon
The idea is once the German becomes committed in the south, you start hammering the line someplace else. You simply can't go toe to toe with the best of the German army in the first part of 1942, so don't even try it. Instead, try to limit the damage, but don't be afraid to give ground. In 1942, he has to beat your army and get a lot of counters gone. On the other hand, the German army breaks when he gets knocked down to a certain amount of infantry. You need to figure out how to cause more losses to his infantry. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but stretch his line, beat on his infantry and make him commit more resources to defending where you are attacking. Make him be out of static so his attrition will be higher. If he shows up to counter what you are doing in sufficient force, fade away. You can't risk your good units yet because you simply don't have enough of them. Consider rotating units depending on what happens so you can increase your pool of good units.

Good point, and this is exactly what the Russians did historically in 1942 re: Lenningrad and the Rzhev Salient battles. The Rzhev Salient especially goes mostly unnoticed by history books (overshadowed by Fall Blau), but the Russians launched multiple massive attacks which resulted in precisely what you describe above.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 54
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 5:12:59 PM   
Flaviusx

I'm not particularly encouraged by the Leningrad or Rhzev salient historical examples, myself. Although I suppose the Leningrad offensives at least had the effect of locking down 11. Army which was supposed to be attacking Leningrad proper and instead got chewed up stopping the Sovs.

The Rhzev salient attacks imo didn't achieve a damned thing and resulted in huge losses. You could argue it kept German formations in the area that otherwise might have been sent south, but I don't think the Wehrmacht had the logistical chops to send more stuff to the south and keep it supplied. It could barely manage to do the job with what they had committed to Fall Blau as things stood.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 55
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 9:21:21 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I'm not particularly encouraged by the Leningrad or Rhzev salient historical examples, myself. Although I suppose the Leningrad offensives at least had the effect of locking down 11. Army which was supposed to be attacking Leningrad proper and instead got chewed up stopping the Sovs.

The Rhzev salient attacks imo didn't achieve a damned thing and resulted in huge losses. You could argue it kept German formations in the area that otherwise might have been sent south, but I don't think the Wehrmacht had the logistical chops to send more stuff to the south and keep it supplied. It could barely manage to do the job with what they had committed to Fall Blau as things stood.

Point taken. However, I think perhaps the point moreso of the above operations is to draw attention away from the main area of operations. At the very least to plant a seed of doubt in the Germans' mind.

If the Germans were as stetched by Fall Blau as you say, then even a small drawing away of resources will put them over the limit.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 12/2/2011 9:23:17 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 56
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/2/2011 10:36:45 PM   
Klydon

I don't disagree with you Flav from a historical standpoint of view, but in game terms, the Germans are not hampered by logistic limitations like that in the south and are free to put as many formations down there as they wish.

The point I am trying to make is the Russian players are having a tendency to be very passive in 1942 across the entire front for the most part and they don't need to be. They should look for opportunities elsewhere to punish a German stripping their front to go to work in the south while building up a cadre of experienced forces, etc for later on and also trying to inflict as many casualties on the German infantry as possible. If the Russians have to show up with a pile of crap aircraft to help get the push going, then so be it. If the Russians start coming out with some rifle corps and artillery units, would you prefer to use the few you have in the south where they face the best of the German army or use them in a place where you can hope to inflict some damage and where you are relatively safe from encirclement?

The game is such the panzers will wear themselves out with all the movement and from the occasional "love tap" from the Russians. It is not like the Russians must intentionally attack them all the time to wear them out and it can be very dangerous to do so. The German panzer arm, while very dangerous, does not dictate the status of the German army in Russian; it is all about what shape the German infantry is in.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 57
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/3/2011 2:46:22 AM   
wadortch

What is great about this discussion is it looks like the proper goal of creating a lot of tension in 1942 has been achieved. Time to play out a bunch of games and see how the balance lands!

Walt

Post #: 58
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/3/2011 2:49:23 PM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Beanie

Starting with 1.05.xx GC from the beginning in a competitive PBEM setting, I'm finding the Germans can now launch 1941-style blitzkriegs and encirclements in the summer of 1942.

Historically German weren’t able to build up big pockets after spring of 1942 because Soviet made doctrine chance that allowed tactical retreats and pull backs of their defense lines. Soviet were much more flexible in this sense than German who lost 6th army in Stalingrad, 60 000 men in Crimea and whole Army Group North because of no pull back fight to last men orders. German Generals were constantly dismissed just suggesting pulling back.

If this game would be historical every time German moves any unit away from Soviets units and toward Berlin General leading that army or corps lose one political point up to the point where General is dismissed.

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 59
RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to ... - 12/3/2011 5:10:22 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

hi guys, i've experienced the amazing German flexibility while playing a 1942-1945 PBEM game as the Germans. It seems realistic and fair.

I spent most of 1942 creating pockets and bagging a few million Russians, and am doing the same in 1943. I'm not sure if the advantage is the changed rules, but my Panzers do seem to be able to rail and move quite far, switching from sector to sector quite easily. However, it seems fair to me that the German player has this added flexibility. I avoided a Stalingrad, kept my casualties low and my Panzer divisions are mostly 99% TOE-- so it makes sense that I actually can play the Manstein mobile defence/offence game. It seems unrealistic to take Moscow, Leningrad or the south at this point so I'm better off running my panzers around the same sectors. My opponent has also kept too many troops close to the front, and not followed what Jakerson said about a deeper defence in depth.

But if the German player has kept the Wehrmacht intact and in great fighting shape, why can't 1942-1945 offensives be powerful?

John 21:25

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: A warning to Russians in the 1.05 GC about what to expect in 1942 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI