Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Post Patch Empire Placement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Post Patch Empire Placement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 3:21:26 AM   
2ndACR

While playing the vanilla version, opposing empires were spaced across the map, now after the Beta patches, I seem to have the empires clustered all around me with over 1/2 the map unoccupied. Did something change by accident?

Only going against 9 enemy empires but always seem to have 5 of them almost on top of me. Using the random placement. Using the 1400 15x15 map.
Post #: 1
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 3:24:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

Nothing was changed in that regard as far as I know. Could you have changed some of your galaxy settings?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 2
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 3:28:22 AM   
2ndACR

Not that I know of, I went back in after each beta patch and reset all my options. Might be a bunch of bad dice rolls, but always seemed to have some distance between enemies prior to patch and now always have them clustered right on me.

I will go back and check settings etc to be sure.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 3:31:30 AM   
randal7

I've noticed this too. "Random" distance seems to always result in someone right in my face, and "average" tends to make clumps. Some sort of "evenly distributed" option would be appreciated.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 3:47:06 AM   
feelotraveller

I have had no problems with 'random' on various 15x15 1400 maps with 19 opponents. Sometimes I'll have a close neighbour (one game there were four of us in a cluster), sometimes no one for a couple of sectors. Generally the empires are pretty evenly distributed. I think the 'clusters' sort of maps exaggerate clumping but that's to do with system distribution rather than empire distribution. Irregular maps, courtesy of their smooth system spread, generally have more even distances between empires. Sometimes you just have to swallow the RNG though.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 5
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 5:15:19 AM   
HectorOfTroy

No problems for me so far either. I played average size with 6 other empires.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 5:52:05 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Although a check box for "Balanced and Random" would be neat.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 7
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 2:36:18 PM   
Baleur

I actually have the opposite experience, they seemed more well spaced out across the entire galaxy.
I think it may help mentioning what alien civilization settings we started the game with.
I always start with the game just generating 11 on it's own, so the "close, average, distant" value may adjust to spread them out properly, compared to if you put them all on average "by hand"?
Just a guess to what might cause ppl to have different experiences.

< Message edited by Baleur -- 12/1/2011 2:37:44 PM >

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 8
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 2:50:24 PM   
2ndACR

Looks like just bad dice rolls then, just started a new game and have explored 4 sectors with no enemy empires found. Disregard.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 9
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 8:27:22 PM   
lycortas

2nd ACR,

I think i know what is happening. Or i am completely wrong as usual. Sigh.

I just finished a 10x10 700 star game with mew losing, the largest empire near me was the Baskurans or whatever, the nasty bugs. They were just slightly ahead of me in all areas, although i had more colonies. Suddenly the frogs won. Never met them. So, i was looking at the major races that were in the game and the Boskarans were not one of the starting race so they were just a minor who grew up.

Maybe this also happened to you.

Michael

That's no moon, it's a space station!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 8:38:31 PM   
ASHBERY76

Sometimes it messes up the starting placements and I have seen 2 empires start right next to each other a few times when I looked at game editor.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 12/1/2011 8:44:55 PM >

(in reply to lycortas)
Post #: 11
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 8:42:26 PM   
Keston

I assume random placement means truly random, so no minimum spacing - multiple spacefaring races could appear in close proximity.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 12
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 10:12:51 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: lycortas

2nd ACR,

I think i know what is happening. Or i am completely wrong as usual. Sigh.

I just finished a 10x10 700 star game with mew losing, the largest empire near me was the Baskurans or whatever, the nasty bugs. They were just slightly ahead of me in all areas, although i had more colonies. Suddenly the frogs won. Never met them. So, i was looking at the major races that were in the game and the Boskarans were not one of the starting race so they were just a minor who grew up.

Maybe this also happened to you.

Michael

Yeah I had this happen in my Zerg game (lol, brown Gizurean empire :D sc2 soundtrack ftw).
The first empire i encountered south of me (ring galaxy) was a Naxxilian independent, 10 minutes later they formed an empire.
As i still only had my homeworld, we were pretty much on even footing apart from my superior military, and they didnt even start the game as a proper empire.

I suspect this may happen all over the galaxy :)

(in reply to lycortas)
Post #: 13
RE: Post Patch Empire Placement - 12/1/2011 10:16:56 PM   
2ndACR

That could explain it, I just discovered a lost human colony on an ice planet and then the dang game crashed. They had a population of 6 billion, more than my home world.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Post Patch Empire Placement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI