Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I give up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> I give up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I give up - 11/28/2011 1:02:06 AM   
rich12545

After a lot of thought I figured I'd get my money's worth for $16 and bought ultimate harpoon.

Installed the game(s) and everything went into four folders with four desktop icons and that's all there is. So far as I can tell. Where's all the rest? Isn't there supposed to be a master index desktop icon? Is my install screwed and I need to do it all over?

Edit: Yes, I disabled my antivirus (avast).

Edit again: NM. I figured it out. It was just a senior moment. Move along. Nothing to see here.

< Message edited by rich12545 -- 11/28/2011 1:18:53 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: I give up - 11/28/2011 3:52:54 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Rest assured, you are not the only one who was confused with the setup process:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3430335/Anyone_help_with_installing_Ha.html#Post3430335

For future reference, here's a short video that clarifies the procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCHIdb8kuk

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 2
RE: I give up - 11/30/2011 4:39:43 PM   
ParachuteProne

Still find it confusing. Installed ok.
There are two versions of ANW(more for multiplayer?). One just says ANW the other says ANW 3.94.
Not sure how they differ - however the databases differ. For instance neither has Victoria class ss but 3.94 has Upholder.
I see no scenario editor in the program menu for either.(Although FAQ says there is one)
Which Leaves Harp3 3.63 - limited Database - it seems, neither ss & no Halifax class FF for instance. It does have a scenario editor though. I downloaded and installed the player database for ultimate edition and installed (everything is installed in the default directory). Still very limited database for 3.63
Am I missing something perhaps ?
Can't imagine trying to figure this out if I hadn't played Harpoon years ago.

The Commander edition gives me the error "cannot verify serial number"

(in reply to Vincenzo Beretta)
Post #: 3
RE: I give up - 11/30/2011 4:56:06 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Since you saw the video on YouTube and read the message on SimHQ, it would probably be best to post your questions at either of those sites in order to receive the most helpful and educated direct response.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to ParachuteProne)
Post #: 4
RE: I give up - 11/30/2011 6:39:45 PM   
ParachuteProne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Since you saw the video on YouTube and read the message on SimHQ, it would probably be best to post your questions at either of those sites in order to receive the most helpful and educated direct response.

Ya, checked those out. Already had the patch. Typed in the serial number on install.
Don't know why the serial number thing is coming up for Commanders .
Figured out the database part. The 3.63 players database installs on to default to the ANW directory for some reason instead of the 3.63 directory. That was my main concern as I will likely only play the 3.63 version.

Thanks

Post #: 5
RE: I give up - 11/30/2011 8:17:14 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParachuteProne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Ya, checked those out. Already had the patch. Typed in the serial number on install.
Don't know why the serial number thing is coming up for Commanders .
Figured out the database part. The 3.63 players database installs on to default to the ANW directory for some reason instead of the 3.63 directory. That was my main concern as I will likely only play the 3.63 version.

Thanks

I'm sorry you've been taken in by Vince and company. One of the biggest reasons there isn't much support here at Matrix from those actually working on the game is the presence of Vince and company. Most helpful and educated is a great marketing line and truly they have the most time to buffalo unsuspecting Harpoon players. I'd be awfully careful and using their PlayersDB will certainly decrease or eliminate the possibility of official support. We each learn in our own time.

Some people have SN problems with HC like you describe. For some reason I cannot replicate the problem. A workaround is to run HC as administrator. Find the winharp32.exe file, right-click and Run as Administrator to see if it helps. The default location is C:\Matrix Games\HCE\Winharp32.exe .

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 6
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 12:44:01 AM   
rich12545

Wow. Tony, why are you so down on the players db? Is there something wrong with it?

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 2:08:34 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Still find it confusing. Installed ok.
There are two versions of ANW(more for multiplayer?). One just says ANW the other says ANW 3.94.
Not sure how they differ - however the databases differ. For instance neither has Victoria class ss but 3.94 has Upholder.
I see no scenario editor in the program menu for either.(Although FAQ says there is one)
Which Leaves Harp3 3.63 - limited Database - it seems, neither ss & no Halifax class FF for instance. It does have a scenario editor though. I downloaded and installed the player database for ultimate edition and installed (everything is installed in the default directory). Still very limited database for 3.63
Am I missing something perhaps ?
Can't imagine trying to figure this out if I hadn't played Harpoon years ago.

ANW is the latest release of ANW, eg the updated version that was included in HUE, which is version 3.10. ANW 3.94 is the older version of ANW that was released as a standalone product several years ago.

Look in the extras folder in the start menu, that is where you will find the scenario editor for ANW. You can also launch the configuration launcher, which allows to set various options and preferences, switch databases and launch the game, editor, multiplayer client or server. If you can't find them in the start menu, they should be in the folder where the game installed.

The H3 standard database for ANW is the older standard database, which is no longer updated and was replaced by HUD, created by the late Darren Buckley and which continues to be updated with HUD4 currently under development. Look in the "H3 Database and Scenarios" sub-forum for the updates.

For 3.63 it seems you have to manually install the Ini Editor or configuration utility, which is called InstallH3_INI_editor.exe and located in the 3.63 installation folder. Just install it into the same directory as 3.63 and will then give you similar control as the configuartion editor for ANW. Its been a very long time since I used 3.63, but iirc you simply have to switch the annex folder over to whichever database you have installed and wished to use.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/1/2011 2:09:16 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 2:20:16 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Wow. Tony, why are you so down on the players db? Is there something wrong with it?

Have a read of these threads and I'm pretty sure you can figure it out:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2139200
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2135620
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2562288

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 9
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 2:58:44 PM   
ParachuteProne

Thanks for the help guys.

I was under the impression that the players database was/is the official database :)
It installs automatically, which is nice (Once you choose the correct directory :))
Another thing I like about it is knowing which nation a platform is used for.
I find this a huge help, as there are just so many - in the past I used to guess mostly :)
Would be nice to have all of the platforms for a Country displayed in a row. Would save alot of searching.

So I should be using HUD 3 or 4 for 3.63 as the official database ?
I downloaded HUD3 first actually and it extracted to seperate folders. I must have done something wrong when I copied the folders as I messed up my install & had to re-install the game.

Which database is more complete?

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 10
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 4:07:02 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL:  ParachuteProne

I downloaded HUD3  first actually and it extracted to seperate folders. I must have done something wrong when I copied the folders as I messed up my install & had to re-install the game.

Hehe, can't believe I'm saying this but for 3.6.3 the DB2000 is probably the 'best' database (older community feud than Hum there).  HUD-2 would probably be your non-PDB, non-DB2000 alternative for 3.6.3 ( http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=22 )

Can you even use HUD-4 in 3.6.3?  The database structure has fields that aren't a part of the 3.6.3 game.

Which returns to that other question, why 3.6.3 and not 3.10.1 where the new action and scenarios are happening?

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 11
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 4:08:19 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity
quote:

hehe, and those are the recent, rated PG ones. I don't have as much problem with the PDB as I do with the people that surround it.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 12
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 5:19:37 PM   
ParachuteProne

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL:  ParachuteProne

I downloaded HUD3  first actually and it extracted to seperate folders. I must have done something wrong when I copied the folders as I messed up my install & had to re-install the game.

Hehe, can't believe I'm saying this but for 3.6.3 the DB2000 is probably the 'best' database (older community feud than Hum there).  HUD-2 would probably be your non-PDB, non-DB2000 alternative for 3.6.3 ( http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=22 )

Can you even use HUD-4 in 3.6.3?  The database structure has fields that aren't a part of the 3.6.3 game.

Which returns to that other question, why 3.6.3 and not 3.10.1 where the new action and scenarios are happening?

And thats plain ANW correct ?
I only have ANW,ANW3.94, harp3.63 & Commanders edition in my start Menu.
Was under the impression that ANW was more for multiplayer.
Will give it a try.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 13
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 5:50:12 PM   
TonyE

quote:

And thats plain ANW correct ?
I only have ANW,ANW3.94, harp3.63 & Commanders edition in my start Menu.
Will give it a try.

Sure, plain ANW :). I'm old school and run the H3Launcher.exe files directly from the game directories so I'm not well versed in the start menu names and locations. Not to mention I still call it H3 (3.10.1). ANW is the newest in the Harpoon 2 lineage (H2/3/ANW). 3.10 starts introducing pieces of the Harpoon 5 paper rules, has expanded mission capabilities (both for scenario creation and playing scenarios), and expands upon editable doctrine files. Hopefully more people will figure out how to use the new capabilities, my feeling is that they are underused at present (and in my case have almost zero clue how to use them) but they hold great potential.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 14
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 8:15:39 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity
quote:

hehe, and those are the recent, rated PG ones. I don't have as much problem with the PDB as I do with the people that surround it.

I'm not interested in getting involved with the people but the pdb looks good. I'm not sure if I'll continue using it though. Looks like there will soon be a ver4 with a patch so I'll probably stick with the ver 3 that came with the game. Your post made it sound like the pdb could cause problems and that's why I asked. When I first got anw a few years ago I recall Herman was always there when I or others had questions. Very helpful. Too bad about the other crap. Unfortunately there was a problem with the mouse cursor in anw that couldn't get fixed so I had to give it up. ANW with HUE seems more stable and I haven't noticed that mouse problem.

I've been looking around and one bonus to getting HUE is the 363 edition. There are some databases for older time periods that will work with it. A few years ago with anw I was interested in the ww2 one and even joined the yahoo group but didn't go further with it. Now I think I'll take another look.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 15
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 10:36:20 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Sorry for the delay in this answer, but, as you can see in my other post, we were quite busy these last few days

quote:

I was under the impression that the players database was/is the official database :)
It installs automatically, which is nice (Once you choose the correct directory :))

A main reason why everyone uses it.

quote:

Another thing I like about it is knowing which nation a platform is used for.
I find this a huge help, as there are just so many - in the past I used to guess mostly :)
Would be nice to have all of the platforms for a Country displayed in a row. Would save alot of searching.

This is only possible when using the Scenario Editor. See: http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/1A0F6364BC76BD53/20/ZysLJgbgeew

quote:

I downloaded HUD3 first actually and it extracted to seperate folders. I must have done something wrong when I copied the folders as I messed up my install & had to re-install the game.

You cannot use any of the ANW or HUE databases with H3.6 as it will cause a crash due to incompatibility. The PlayersDB covers over 90 countries and is the most complete and comprehensive. It is the only one which allows players to try a scenario in H3.6, then ANW, and finally HUE. You can see how it plays differently in each version and select the one you prefer.

quote:

Will give it a try.

ANW is the only version currently capable of multi-player gameplay. Be thankful that it was included as a separate installation in the HUE bundle. Otherwise, there would be no MP possible at this time.

quote:

Your post made it sound like the pdb could cause problems and that's why I asked.

Well, the PlayersDB doesn't cause problems. Quite the opposite. It will give users the least number of problems, bar none. It suffers from all the same game bugs (like every other database), but at least it tries to work around the known problems.

Since it's link-o-mania week, here are some more : you won't find problems like these in the PlayersDB

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2932238
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2719788
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=16048

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 16
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 11:40:13 PM   
ParachuteProne

Great, completely forgot about the class restrictions - been a very long time :)

Thanks !

Post #: 17
RE: I give up - 12/1/2011 11:50:44 PM   
rich12545

Thanks for all that info. Most of my harpoon play will be with HCE but I'll give the pdb a try when I go to ANW.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> I give up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI