Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Belphegor welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Belphegor welcome Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Belphegor welcome - 11/26/2011 11:08:04 PM   
sillyflower

GC41 1.05.42 beta updating as we go along. Fixed weather

No house rules as the only ones I could think of restrict the Soviet. I thought that would be unfair as I beat him in 1942 last time we played, and 1.05 seems to make it easier for Jerry especially in '42.

I won't do any HQ flipping or use excessive HQ build up ( I never have) as I think those tactics are gamey. I don't mean that in a judgemental way. What others do is between them and their opponents.

Belphegor will soon learn there is no point hiding up trees.
I hope I will soon learn how to shrink the picture size

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/25/2012 10:52:15 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Post #: 1
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 12:32:56 PM   
sillyflower

t1 north -fairly traditional except I like to ensure minimum routs out of the baltic states pocket, so I go a less direct route than some. 4pz group gets 2 pz divs transferred fom 3Pzg

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/29/2011 1:01:01 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 2
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 12:37:21 PM   
sillyflower

Ti south - sending 1/2 of 2Pz group enables pocketing of Commie 2nd line. Lvov pocket messed up - I forgot to split up pz div forming pocket before moving it. Curse the server/my stupidity as I live up to my name.

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 3
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 1:03:32 PM   
sillyflower

Air war. Not too shabby for 1.05 I suppose but nothing to boast about either. I largely leave it to the AI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/29/2011 1:04:08 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 4
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 1:06:38 PM   
sillyflower

and the equally trad. ground losses shot

Agian nothing spectacular. I prefer to surround rather than attack in T1 especially as pockets are now such fertile recruiting ground for Hiwis. I aim to maximise unit kills in the first few turns in especially as that makes checkerboard difficult.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/29/2011 1:10:48 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 5
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 1:24:39 PM   
sillyflower

Plan

Similar to that vs Fiva - I am an old dog after all.

L,M and Donbass cities are the main terrain targets. I will also try to kill 3.2M+ communists in the clear weather and over 3.5M before blizzard starts so as to leave Stalin with a weak winter offensive. This should then mean a good '42 for me.

I got a decisive '42 victory against B before ( he hung on tenaciously and only surrendered when i was a few cities short) and I intend to do the same again as 1.05 benefits me a lot more than him.

He will remain my chewtoy

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/29/2011 6:24:29 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 6
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 11/29/2011 6:24:19 PM   
sillyflower

T2 north

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/29/2011 6:49:29 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 7
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/1/2011 3:12:00 PM   
sillyflower

South

Lvov pocket restored, otherwise slum clearing the other pockets whih did survive

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/1/2011 3:13:13 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 8
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/2/2011 11:53:36 AM   
sillyflower

T3 north

Not much action - inf closing up ready for next turn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/2/2011 11:54:18 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 9
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/2/2011 11:55:55 AM   
sillyflower

T3 centre

B's decision to fight forward at Minsk costs him 10 divs + 4 abn brigades. slum clearing in the rear but some inf xx reaching the front lines. Behind geographically but worth it for the extra kills.

A single mot div surrounded as our brave lads cross the Ulla river on the way to Smolensk

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/2/2011 11:59:40 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 10
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/2/2011 12:00:54 PM   
sillyflower

T3 south

Pocket clearing and another 10 divs pocketed as I encircle his front line agian. Particularly pleasing is the entrapment of the elite 2nd mech corps (2 tk 1 mot xx) which are the biggest commie units in the South. They can be seen east of Chernovtsky with a supporting inf div. They had moved forward to help free the Lvov pocket but soon they will become Hiwis.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/2/2011 12:07:41 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 11
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/2/2011 7:05:54 PM   
Baelfiin

Pac man Up to his old tricks

Nice pocketing, now you see why i was running away from you in our game !

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 12
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/4/2011 1:54:07 PM   
sillyflower

T4N

Featured combat: classic attack by infantry across the river pinning the motorised div. 2 hours after they first attacked, 2 Pz div struck from the rear, overrunning the rear echelos and cofuing the enemy so much that they retreated in a panic to the SW instead of Pskov, thereby creating a nice mini pocket of 1 mot + 2 inf divs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/4/2011 1:58:11 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 13
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/4/2011 1:58:59 PM   
sillyflower

Centre

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 14
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/4/2011 1:59:54 PM   
sillyflower

South

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 15
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/4/2011 8:59:39 PM   
Baelfiin

Looks pretty good so far, looks like youa re going to run out of russians to chew on down there in the south

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 16
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/4/2011 11:01:43 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Looks pretty good so far, looks like youa re going to run out of russians to chew on down there in the south

Just like in our game???

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 17
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 3:24:11 AM   
Baelfiin

Yeah that really sucked.

Allthough your decapitation of my leningrad front sucked worse.

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 18
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 9:59:08 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Yeah that really sucked.

Allthough your decapitation of my leningrad front sucked worse.

Actually I was thinking of my '42 offensive

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 19
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 10:11:16 PM   
sillyflower

t5 north

consolidating progess from last turn. Unit adjacent to Novgorod will probably be cut off - I hope then to catch the offender against the lake where it will join the ranks of my Hiwis which are currently being trained in large numbers.

Usual sideshows to capture Talinn and Kessare.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/5/2011 10:14:59 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 20
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 10:15:49 PM   
sillyflower

Centre

The start of the meatgrinder. Actually managed to surround a whole division

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/5/2011 10:17:23 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 21
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 10:18:29 PM   
sillyflower

This is where I bring out my inner Pelton. Inspired by his encomium on another thread that the Russians must stop the good guys from crossing the Dnepr for 7 turns.

The 2 corps of PzG 2 race to Cherkassy, and PzG 1 creates 2 new good pockets totalling ? 15 divs/equivalents ( surely the bulk of remaining commie forces in the deep south) and plant themselves on Cherkassy and Kirovograd. Sadly, only the latter still has its factories. Both breakthroughs led by supporting infantry armies to clear the way as best they could though 6 army keeps being held up by pocket killing. Not complaining though.

Kiev area is still heavily defended, despite only facing screening forces until Lvov pocket is cleared, and I reckon B does not have enough forces down south to stop me at the moment. I expect he may have had to divert more to the centre following the failed forward defence of Minsk which cost about 10 divs and 6 brigades.

The more I play , the more I think early G success depends on the number of units killed in the early turns. Kill enough and checkerboarding won't work, and not much else with either. It also makes it much harder to counterattack, especially as I have killed most if not all of his large armour units in the south, which in turn means G can take more chances leading to more russian losses and so on........

No, I have not yet used HQ build up. Have got the army much better sorted, though.

I expect B to reduce his Kiev bridgehead as these are the nearest he has to spare troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/5/2011 10:42:27 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 22
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 10:44:11 PM   
sillyflower

for those more interested than I in the air war

B using his airforce quite aggessively for interdiction and even some bombing of ground units he's not attacking. Air to air losses 12:1 in my favour which seems reasonable. Long may it continue

I did bomb a couple of airfields once each before overunning them, hence some SB 2 recce a/c lost which actually matters now you can actually shoot down recce planes as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/5/2011 10:59:28 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 23
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/5/2011 10:51:34 PM   
sillyflower

Finally the losses screen

I think my Hiwi gain is higher than my losses

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/5/2011 10:56:30 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 24
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/9/2011 11:01:12 PM   
sillyflower

T6 north

Good progress towards L with little opposition. Options of passing Novgorod and crossing river north of it, or the longer route pushing towards the Valdai Hills before turning left both look viable. Near Novgorod commies don't look well dug in and there is lot of armour there which is pretty useles in defence.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/9/2011 11:07:31 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 25
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/9/2011 11:08:40 PM   
sillyflower

T6 AGC

Combat shows infantry smashing a path across the Dnepr, whilst strong forces push round to the north of Smolensk

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/9/2011 11:12:08 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 26
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/9/2011 11:23:52 PM   
sillyflower

German recce troops preparing to cross the Dnepr at a weak spot in Belphegor's lines

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 27
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/9/2011 11:26:46 PM   
sillyflower

T6 AGS.

Armoured units exploit the opportunity spotted by advance recce troops. Lead forces advance a further 60 miles sweeping away Russian HQs and airbases.

B's earlier losses of so many units in the south really beginning to tell. Zhitomir, Cherkassy, Krasnograd and Odessa all fall to advancing axis troops. Little serious resitance offered as Das Reich leads the way by clearing Cherkassy with minimal losses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 12/9/2011 11:37:06 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 28
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/10/2011 10:32:06 AM   
sillyflower

T6 losses

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 29
RE: Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Sillyflower v Belphe... - 12/10/2011 10:34:15 AM   
sillyflower

For those interested in even more numbers

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Old Dog finds Canadian Chewtoy Belphegor welcome Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI