Excellent question that gets to the very heart of wargaming! My current fix which I am experimenting with is to duplicate all class 1, 2, 3 and 5 units as class 4 with a range of 1 and reduced HA values (to approx 1/2). This way they must revert to their original class to engage hard targets (at full strenth & 0 range). I am also increasing class 0 unit close defense and HA values. My concern is opposite of yours: I believe all war games grossly underestimate the importance of infantry in holding terrain and their lethality at "final assault" range (<40 meters). Here are some precepts that I think war games should emulate:
- Entrenched/sub-terrainian infantry are hard to kill, easy to suppress. Suppression is defined as taking action (ducking behind cover/concealment, laying prone, etc.) to break contact/reduce effectiveness of enemy fire.
- Exposed infantry have an inherent "reduced hit profile" from direct fire by simply laying prone.
- Even suppressed infantry fight to repell "final" assaults. THIS IS A MAJOR MISCONCEPTION IN WAR GAMES- SUPPRESSED INFANTRY WILL INITIALLY FIGHT until their position/situation becomes untenable/hopeless, then they will retreat if an egress is available, or surrender if surrounded.
- Vehicles (even SP assault guns/StuGs and mech flamethrowers) only close with the enemy to "battle sight zero"/ direct observation and firing range (preferrably >125 meters). If infantry counter-assault, vehicles will withdraw to maintain their "safe" standoff.
- Armored vehicles may "over-run" enemy positions once they have been "routed", i.e. in disorganized retreat.
A common assault sequence should be:
1) Close air support (class 8) attack enemy position
2) Naval/Artillery perform suppressive fires
3) Infantry support/heavy weapons (field cannons, mortars, MGs, etc.) take over suppression fires, shifting as assault forces approach enemy position
4) Armored fighting vehicles lead/(screening) assault infantry advance and engage enemy crew served weapons (MGs, mortars, ATGs, etc)
5) Armored vehicles halt at "standoff" to provide overwatch as infantry advance
6) Infantry closes to "final" assault range