Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance - 11/26/2011 6:39:57 PM   
Gary Childress

Trying to come up with a way to make armor more valuable as a unit but not so valuable that infantry becomes superfluous. Actually more of a rock, paper, scissors effect is what I'm looking for.

So far I'm thinking about reducing ground defense for infantry but maybe actually increasing close defense a little. If I'm not mistaken that should make infantry more vulnerable in the open but still invaluable for fighting in cities, etc.

What do others think? Any ideas?

My WitP webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/garyswitpsite/

Post #: 1
RE: Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance - 11/26/2011 10:00:01 PM   
Gary Childress

Been doing some testing. I set up a comparison of three types of unit:

PzIIIE (normal unit)
Wermacht Infantry (normal unit)
Nerfed Wermacht Infantry (decreased ground defense, increased close defense)

Below is a chart of the PREDICTED combat results (not actual combat results). Also the pic below shows a comparison of the stats of the regular infantry vs. nerfed infantry.

The nerfed infantry gives decent results in the open but in a city the results are a little less desirable (to me anyway).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/26/2011 10:17:42 PM >

My WitP webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/garyswitpsite/

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance - 12/8/2011 7:54:07 PM   
AceDuceTrey

Excellent question that gets to the very heart of wargaming! My current fix which I am experimenting with is to duplicate all class 1, 2, 3 and 5 units as class 4 with a range of 1 and reduced HA values (to approx 1/2). This way they must revert to their original class to engage hard targets (at full strenth & 0 range). I am also increasing class 0 unit close defense and HA values. My concern is opposite of yours: I believe all war games grossly underestimate the importance of infantry in holding terrain and their lethality at "final assault" range (<40 meters). Here are some precepts that I think war games should emulate:
- Entrenched/sub-terrainian infantry are hard to kill, easy to suppress. Suppression is defined as taking action (ducking behind cover/concealment, laying prone, etc.) to break contact/reduce effectiveness of enemy fire.
- Exposed infantry have an inherent "reduced hit profile" from direct fire by simply laying prone.
- Even suppressed infantry fight to repell "final" assaults. THIS IS A MAJOR MISCONCEPTION IN WAR GAMES- SUPPRESSED INFANTRY WILL INITIALLY FIGHT until their position/situation becomes untenable/hopeless, then they will retreat if an egress is available, or surrender if surrounded.
- Vehicles (even SP assault guns/StuGs and mech flamethrowers) only close with the enemy to "battle sight zero"/ direct observation and firing range (preferrably >125 meters). If infantry counter-assault, vehicles will withdraw to maintain their "safe" standoff.
- Armored vehicles may "over-run" enemy positions once they have been "routed", i.e. in disorganized retreat.
A common assault sequence should be:
1) Close air support (class 8) attack enemy position
2) Naval/Artillery perform suppressive fires
3) Infantry support/heavy weapons (field cannons, mortars, MGs, etc.) take over suppression fires, shifting as assault forces approach enemy position
4) Armored fighting vehicles lead/(screening) assault infantry advance and engage enemy crew served weapons (MGs, mortars, ATGs, etc)
5) Armored vehicles halt at "standoff" to provide overwatch as infantry advance
6) Infantry closes to "final" assault range

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Panzer Workshop: Improving Tank Performance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI