Summary list of user interface shortcuts

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Sithuk

Summary list of user interface shortcuts

Post by Sithuk »

The galactopedia and manual lists the keyboard shortcuts.
1) Is it possible to re-assign keys? (I think the key assignments are fine as they are, I'm just curious)

Where can I find a summary of the mouse actions in game. For example, in RoTS right mouse clicking on an empty area of the main screen brought up an idle ship list. I'm concerned I'm missing more useful UI features like the right mouse click idle ship list because they aren't summarised anywhere.
2)Where is the right mouse click idle ship list feature noted?

There are a lot of new / infrequent players returning for Legends. I'd recommend an easily accessible user interface summary screen to get up to speed on the game UI.

I even saw someone ask about adding a feature to turn off shield bars (already exists in game by pressing the d key multiple times). The galactopedia has the d key action but it doesn't explicitly state that it'll turn off shield bars for example. The manual (and galactopoedia) says the d key "toggles the display". I use this as an example of why the UI may not be as clearly described as it could be.

I happily await one of the more experienced players to point out that this screen has been staring me in the face these many months and I never saw it!
tjhkkr

RE: Summary list of user interface shortcuts

Post by tjhkkr »

I even saw someone ask about adding a feature to turn off shield bars (already exists in game by pressing the d key multiple times). The galactopedia has the d key action but it doesn't explicitly state that it'll turn off shield bars for example. The manual (and galactopoedia) says the d key "toggles the display". I use this as an example of why the UI may not be as clearly described as it could be.

I have been seeing this myself. I did not know about the D key, but then, there is a lot I do not know about the game, and I play it alot.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Sithuk,

We may have missed mentioning the right click for idle ships. I can also recommend control-right click to see all possible actions when you have something selected. Hopefully other experienced players will be able to add their tips.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

An option (some kind of checkbox?) to turn the default right-click menu into the ctrl+rightclick menu would be simply amazing. I don't have a desk, and I use a wireless Keyboard (which is usually set aside somewhere). As a result, I almost never ctrl+rightclick
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

One thing that is awesome, in combination with control-rightclick, is that after you assign orders if you then hit "a" for automate then the ship will first complete your orders and then go back to doing it's automated thing.

Also, "z" selects the closest military ship. Very useful during small pirate/monster attacks. If you follow with "a" you get awesomeness. Example:

Ship under attack notice, click notice, now viewing pirate ship. press "z", right-click pirate, press "a". Go on with business as usual...
midnight_mangler

Post by midnight_mangler »

Thanks ! Very helpful.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”