Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice please on Attack route options

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Advice please on Attack route options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice please on Attack route options - 11/25/2011 3:06:08 PM   
pcelt

I have been experimenting with trying to compare the ads of fast direct attack routes toward an objective with a route which takes into account available cover or known enemy locations or both (Covered,Avoiding, Safe )
I am finding it difficult after such a brief experience with the game to draw any clear conclusions --perhaps there can be no "general" conclusions but every sitn is a unique one and it is these factors which must dictate the choice
But I would love to hear the factors which more exprienced gamers use to influence decision making re attack route options
Many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Advice please on Attack route options - 11/25/2011 3:41:48 PM   
Lieste

I try to operate in dead ground until as late as possible in any attack. I also favour reverse slope fighting positions (with a few FOO outposts well hidden with orders not to get engaged).

I am always looking for ways to get 2-3 units converging fires onto one hapless target, ideally at around 90 degrees lines of fire... and I try my utmost not to send (important) units into the AI's kill sacks at close range.

Movement choices, tactics etc depend to such a high extent on the forces, ground and tactical situation that it is hard to talk about. Sometimes speed is needed, mostly protection from massed and effective fires - if in doubt I emphasise cover and concealment, but try to use landform rather than landcover to achieve it - woods enhance artillery, and restrict my return fires too, buildings are dangerous to be around if he has lots of dug-in infantry etc, but I'm safe from the fraction of his forces deployed in either if I have a hill blocking their view of my forces until I have dealt with another portion of them - keeping the battle small.

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice please on Attack route options - 11/25/2011 4:49:21 PM   
pcelt

Thank you Lieste--Appreciate the factors you highlight and especially the important distinction you draw between the use of landcover and landform for unit protection in attack movement .I also take your point re the priority of speed of approach when faced with massed and effective fire.------- all good stuff--Thanks again........

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Advice please on Attack route options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI