BftB Community Scenarios Index

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

BletchleyGeek

BftB Community Scenarios Index

Post by BletchleyGeek »

I think people will find useful to have an index of the few - yet excellent - scenarios created by the BftB community. These scenarios, the stock Bulge scenarios and the soon to come HttR scenario conversions showcase the awesome potential of this engine. So guys, just start spreading the word!

Scenario List
Last Updated: 21/01/12

Operation Epsom
Author: Tukker
Link: tm.asp?m=2958931

Operation Epsom (Phase 4)
Author: Tukker
Link: tm.asp?m=2958931

Battle of Nancy V 3.0
Author: Sweeteye
Link: fb.asp?m=2921089

Pont a Mousson Bridgehead
Link: tm.asp?m=2912539

Battle for Toul Bridgehead

Stabilizing the XII Corps MLR V 4.0
Link: fb.asp?m=3002207
Note: Refactored for latest patch

St Lo
Author: crushingleek
Link: tm.asp?m=2627264
Notes: At max zoom level hedgerow textures are bugged in some places

Afwaterings Canal
Author: Chief Rudiger
Link: tm.asp?m=2819105
Notes: I am not sure which is the right link for the scenario

Woensdrecht Isthmus
Author: Huib
Link: tm.asp?m=2665226

Operation Nordwind - Wingen
Link: tm.asp?m=2967850
Notes:
* Battalion AT guns need to be removed from the OOB
* Includes two scenarios, one covering the action between 1/2/45 and 1/3/45 and the other the whole operation, 1/2/45-1/7/45.

Operation Nordwind - Wingen Mini Scenarios
Notes:
* They use maps different from that of the bigger Operation Nordwind scenarios
* sweeteye is currently working on tweaking unit attributes to match better historical sources

Battle of Merdjayoun
Author: Chief Rudiger
Link: tm.asp?m=2585349
Notes: Australians vs. French Vichy battle during the 1941 Syria-Lebanon campaign

Meeting Engagement
Author: xavutrecht
Link: fb.asp?m=2999857
Notes: Fictional scenario originally included with HttR

Work In Progress

Full Ardennes Map (56x36 km)
Author: SeinfieldRules
Link: tm.asp?m=2966580
Notes: This is evolving into full featured (set of) scenarios covering the pivotal battles in May 1940 to cross the Meuse!!!

Omaha Beach
Author: sweeteye
Link: fb.asp?m=3000201

Operation Veritable
Author: RockinHarry
Link: tm.asp?m=3010966

=====================================================================================

If anyone knows about other scenarios or authors updating their work, please, reply to this thread and I'll be adding them or updating their entries.

Cheers (and a big thank you to all scenario designers),

BG.
pcelt

RE: BftB Community Scenarios Index (Stabilising X11 Corps)

Post by pcelt »

Im not familiar with the battles in the area and may be displaying gross ignorance but why does the U.S force seem to field no battalion HQs but use Regimetal HQs which directly control 9 or so Companies.

Can Sweeteye or anyone else clatify this for me
Thanks
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: pcelt

Im not familiar with the battles in the area and may be displaying gross ignorance but why does the U.S force seem to field no battalion HQs but use Regimetal HQs which directly control 9 or so Companies.

Can Sweeteye or anyone else clatify this for me

I think you should ask in another thread [:)] I guess you're referring to the "Stabilizing the XII Corps MLR" scenario, aren't you?

I've read in several places - but I wouldn't say there's an unanimous position on that - that in the US Army, the operational unit of maneuver was the Regiment, Battalion being mostly an organization that basically existed on paper, so I wasn't that much surprised.

From a purely BftB standpoint I would say that while possibly historically accurate, it makes the US Army ahistorically rigid. Battalion HQ's could account for the kind of ad-hoc commands - Task Forces - the US Army created during operations for concrete goals and then disbanded.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

I need to add to the above that the ability of creating ad-hoc commands is already in the game... by group selecting some units and assigning to them a mission. Obviously, a company staff might not be up to the task of organizing operations of the same complexity as those a battalion or regimental staff would be able to manage efficiently.

In game terms, playing with Realistic C2 rule would mean that while you'd be able to make do without Battalion HQ's, you might suffer severe penalties.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I am glad you pointed this out pcelt...The best explanation I have for this is that I set up the OOB from the information I had to go by from what I found in my sources off of the internet.The information may need to be adjusted. I will look into this before I re release the scenarios for the new patch. At the moment I am unable to get the patch and make the changes needed to have the scenarios work. As soon as I can I will look into putting Battalion HQs into the OOB. Thanks again .....[:)] Also thanks for posting the scenario list Bletchley...Good idea... Hope this is not the wrong place to answer the question.....
Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Thanks very much Bletchley and Sweeteye for your swift and constructive replies---and thanks also for all your excellent work in developing the scenario range of the game.
Cheers
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Well, I found the reference, for those interested.

FM 100-5, 1944 OPERATIONS
http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/comp ... d/30/rec/3

In Chapter 15, US formations are discussed, and here are a couple parts which might shed some light. On the topic of Infantry divisions organization, I found on page 297, paragraph #1011
1011. Three regiments of infantry and four battalions of Field Artillery comprise the major combat elements.[...]

which contrasts with the detailed description of and rationale about the organization of Armored Divisions, found on page 305, paragraph #1038:
1038. The armored division is organized for flexibility in the formation of combat teams. The self-contained battalion is the basic unit. The division consists of a headquarters, two combat commands, a reserve command, a cavalry mechanized reconnaissance squadron, three tank battalions, three infantry armored battalions, the division artillery consisting of a headquarters and three armored field artillery battalions, and armored engineer battalion, and signal and service troops. Units are attached to the two combat commands in the type and number desired for a particular operation.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: sweeteye
Also thanks for posting the scenario list Bletchley...Good idea... Hope this is not the wrong place to answer the question.....

No problem sweeteye :) And discussion is welcomed, though I doubted that you were subscribed to this thread (so making less probable that you'd get wind of pcelt question) ;)
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Sweeteye Re "Stabilisation......" scenario----I have now realised that the German OOB is also organised without battalion level HQs.
So it might in fact be best to leave the setup as is and then both commanders would need to make decisions re forming different sorts of ad hoc task groups for various types of tasks.
This would make for an extra dimension of decision-making within that scenario--quite like that variation.
What do you think?

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Yes it is probably best to leave the OOB as it is. If someone really wanted to make changes it would be easy enough for them to do themselves if they wanted to. I myself think the scenario is alright the way it is.[:)]
Headquarters Company

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Yes it is probably best to leave the OOB as it is. If someone really wanted to make changes it would be easy enough for them to do themselves if they wanted to. I myself think the scenario is alright the way it is.[:)]

What about the US support platoons? I didn't see the usual Mortar Plts, etc.

Besides that, I concur with pcelt that not having Battalion HQ's is a good idea [:)]
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Oh yes...sorry...I seem to not be thinking clearly and posting too quickly....the supporting units do need to be included...I am going to try and get to looking at the MLR OOB and put in the needed units..Have been kind of sidetracked over this Thanksgiving weekend....I do like to go with what other players suggest as it does make the scenarios improve in quality.
Headquarters Company

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Oh yes...sorry...I seem to not be thinking clearly and posting too quickly....the supporting units do need to be included...I am going to try and get to looking at the MLR OOB and put in the needed units..Have been kind of sidetracked over this Thanksgiving weekend....I do like to go with what other players suggest as it does make the scenarios improve in quality.

If you feel you need help with this, just let me know [:)] I guess that developing that Operation Nordwing scenario is helding you back.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Thanks for the offer.....Actually I have the NordWind scenarios done. It is just a matter of taking out the AT platoons from most of the scenarios which will be very quick to do. The MLR scenario is going to take a bit more time..I was just looking at it this A.M. I am going to have to take the appropriate units from the Nancy Scenario and put them in the MLR scenario. Some other regiments are going to have to be fixed up in a different manner. Kind of "by hand" you might say. Them I am going to have to replace them on the map ... some as reinforcements. Going to have recount the overall strengths of both sides and reset the victory points..Also have to remember to take out the Battalion HQs.Should be able to get started on it this evening..
Headquarters Company

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Actually I have the NordWind scenarios done.

Excellent news sweeteye! [:)]
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

Excellent work, Bletchey Geek!!

Excellent news, sweeteye!

[:)]

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: ulisin
Excellent work, Bletchey Geek!!

The ones to commend here are the designers ulisin [:)]
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Thanks for that Bletchley Geek - its very helpful to have a single reference point
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Ditto. Well done and thanks. [&o]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Chief Rudiger

Post by Chief Rudiger »

Must finish all these daft maps I've started - anyone want a Burma "White City" Chindit stronghold scenario... Maybe i'll leave that one for later...

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”