Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Championzhao (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Championzhao (A) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Championzh... - 11/23/2011 9:32:54 PM   
SireChaos

This AAR is for the game I just started against championzhao. We´re playing Scenario 2.

Game Options:
- Fog of War on
- Advanced Weather Effects on
- Allied Damage Control on
- PDU on (not negotiable)
- Historical First Turn off (not negotiable)
- Dec 7th Surprise off
- Realistic R&D on
- Reliable USN Torpedoes off
- No Unit Withdrawals off
- Reinforcements for both sides variable

We agreed on a couple of house rules, like no dropping around fragments of para units etc - nothing really out of the ordinary. With Surprise being off, my opponent is only restricted from moving air units and creating new TFs within the war area (DEI, Phillipines, Pacific islands east to Hawaii).

Anything beyond this point is off limits to my opponent.

< Message edited by SireChaos -- 11/23/2011 9:38:59 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/23/2011 10:20:29 PM   
SireChaos

Okay, so let´s talk about the game...

It´s been a long time since I´ve played Japan, as for quite a while, playing Downfall on and off as the Allies was all the Witp-AE I did. But now the AE bug has bitten me again, and between the Beta patch and the awesome new capabilities of the Tracker, I am once more eager to get going. I´ve studied the map, the production system and the other information in the Tracker for the first turn, so I am ready for a more methodical approach than my last game as Japan when AE was pretty new and I didn´t really know what I was doing..

Plus, in the meantime I finished university, and my diploma thesis was on the effects of overconfidence - what better preparation for playing Japan could there be?

On the naval side, I intend to halt Yamato and Musashi on the second turn (can´t access ship, air group and ground unit arrival schedules on turn 1, probably due to variable arrival times), and use the Naval points freed up (plus a modest expansion to about 1500 total) to accelerate the Unryu class CVs. Shinano is a second Taiho class rather than a Yamato conversion in Scenario 2, so she´s useful enough to keep building for now; I might halt her later if that helps accelerate Taiho. Depending on how things go, I might switch the two or three later Unryus back to regular build speed after they hit the "durability*10" mark and accelerate some destroyers - Akítsukis in particular - instead. With this adjusted building schedule, I should get a batch of replacement carriers early enough for them to serve as something other than decoy targets.
I have expanded Merchant points to 900 (once the yards are repaired), and will probably halt and accelerate as needed to react to shortages.

Air production has seen the usual expansion of the carrier aircraft programs, plus a modest (at first) expansion of land-based airframes and engines; I do not want to deplete available supplies in Japan while I´m still expanding across the DEI and Pacific.

I will only expand Heavy Industry by a little at first, until I have captured the oil wells and refineries in the DEI and know in which shape they are - there´s no use in buying expensive HI expansions that suck your fuel stockpiles dry before 1942 is over...

Now for the military part:
First priority is to secure the DEI, with the vital oil and refinery facilities as intact as possible.
Second priority is to establish a perimeter that makes counterattack as difficult as possible, meaning that it will delay the inevitable successful Allied counterattack by as much as possible, giving me time to prepare the next lines of defense.
Third priority is to build multiple lines of defense between the perimeter and both the Home Islands themselves and the link between them and the DEI, to slow the Allied advance and give me the maximum amount of time during which I still receive fuel and resources from the DEI.

What this means in detail is, first of all I need to expand to roughly the historical extent of Japanese possessions in May ´42, plus the rest of New Guinea if feasible, possibly minus Burma. With the additional forces present in Scenario 2, taking Burma might be easier than historically, but I am not yet sure if it is worth committing as many forces, especially within comfortable 4E bomber range of India... and let´s not get me started on the idea of taking India as well.
I am also not sure if expanding in the Pacific beyond historical extent is useful; since it is now possible to supply Australia from the West, the sea link between Hawaii and Australia is not really crucial any more, and my opponent could decide to ignore a lot of those bases and let them wither on the vine. I think the best plan is to try and meet the USN carriers in battle in the second half of ´42 at the latest, while I still have some sort of edge over them; if that works, with the accelerated reinforcements in ´43 I might have enough carrier power left to challenge the USN again and produce some results (other than IJN carriers sunk, that is...). How to achieve that sort of engagement in ´42, on the other hand, is a different question.
I´m not really ambitious in China; I will create a defendable front line and secure a couple of supply producing bases near the starting front lines, but that is it; circumstances will decide if I try to take the area around Changsha, but once the original objectives are achieved I´d be content to let China rest unless my opponent (who is Chinese, and can thus probably be counted on to plan something there) tries something.

The opening moves are mostly historical. I´ve re-routed the Wake Island invasion force south, because a competent Allied player can mangle that force and escape, and I don´t need that kind of losses right away. I´ll go into more detail of Turn 1 once it is executed. (I am currently waiting for my opponent to send his turn).

In the meantime, I´d appreciate any comments on my plans.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 2
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/23/2011 11:05:00 PM   
Steve Sv

Good luck to you; I will be following along with interest.

I know some allied players have had success with a very early offensive in Burma. Do you have any concerns that the combination of no early action there on your part, a quiet China (you hope) and no HR limiting the number of Chinese units the allies can allocate to Burma could permit the allies to establish useful bases in IndoChina/Thailand early enopugh in the game to make your other defensive preparations moot? Are you at least planning early development of the AFs in northern Thailand to facilitate offensive and defensive operations in Burna a little later?

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 3
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/23/2011 11:18:12 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Sv

Good luck to you; I will be following along with interest.

I know some allied players have had success with a very early offensive in Burma. Do you have any concerns that the combination of no early action there on your part, a quiet China (you hope) and no HR limiting the number of Chinese units the allies can allocate to Burma could permit the allies to establish useful bases in IndoChina/Thailand early enopugh in the game to make your other defensive preparations moot? Are you at least planning early development of the AFs in northern Thailand to facilitate offensive and defensive operations in Burna a little later?

I hadn´t thought of Chinese units in Burma. I suppose with the (if perhaps only unconscious) importance that China holds for my opponent, I could stay threatening enough in China to prevent him for pulling units of there to other place. Plus, house rules say we need to pay PP to move units from restriced commands abroad, so at the very least it should be some time before he can do this in useful numbers.

In any case, it would probably be a good idea for me to go into Burma, if only to increase the amount of territory the Allies need to take before they can threaten Indochina.
The geography there is... let´s say "inconvenient". The Burma/Thailand border is not nearly as good a natural barrier as the India/Burma border, but if I took Burma, or tried to, seaborne resupply/reinforcement via Rangoon would be vulnerable to raids out of Ceylon.
On the other hand, for the Allies supplying or reinforcing Burma is even harder, because there´s not much supply to be had out of China, and moving stuff overland from India is even harder through the jungle - where the much less rugged Burma/Thailand border makes it somewhat easier for me to move supplies and reinforcements overland from the port at Bangkok.
I guess that, as part of my perimeter, a Burma stalemate serves my purposes as well as a conquered Burma does.

(in reply to Steve Sv)
Post #: 4
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 12:18:40 AM   
hades1001

Your opponent is one of the most cunning, vicious and aggressive Jap player I have ever played against in the world of WITP/AE.

I almost lost the entire world in my first AE PBEM game against him as Allied.

But as human being he still makes mistakes, and I hope you can punch him in the face when he does so.

Good luck mate. :) GG

< Message edited by hades1001 -- 11/24/2011 12:20:51 AM >

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 5
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 1:15:11 AM   
obvert

Good Luck. I'll be keeping track, as I'm playing the Japanese side now as well.

I think you'll find in Scen 2 that Burma shouldn't be much of a problem. Especially if you take units early and often from Manchuria. Especially armour.

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 6
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 10:12:58 AM   
PaxMondo

So, Scen 2. Do you have any aggressive plans? It's been shown that Oz, India, or China are all achievable (more or less). Do you have any plans to take any one of these?

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 10:40:55 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: hades1001

Your opponent is one of the most cunning, vicious and aggressive Jap player I have ever played against in the world of WITP/AE.

Note to self: make sure a sharp sword for sepukku ceremony is available.

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 8
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 11:08:37 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

So, Scen 2. Do you have any aggressive plans? It's been shown that Oz, India, or China are all achievable (more or less). Do you have any plans to take any one of these?

Almost definitely not China.

All three of these are too tough to be quickly and easily conquered, and once I have the DEI, I have all the resources I will probably need; Burma has some nice oil and refineries, but Australia and China and India are all net oil importers rather than exporters.

So, if I decide to make exert the effort needed to conquer any of these three, I need to get something else out of it. If I attack India or Australia, I might draw the Allied navies into a battle to stop my invasion, which is what I´m trying to do anyway - China on the other hand won´t let me do this.

An attack on India would be easier to support, I think, as it is closer to all the fuel and supply sources in the DEA; but India is also easier for the Allies to support via the off-map ports and Karachi.
Australia is further away from support for both sides - at the the juicy parts of Australia in the Southeast are further away from either Japan or the DEI, not to mention from the US or Capetown.

Bottom line: either Australia or India, depending on the circumstances. The big question is, would my opponent have to defend either target? And if I conquer it, would he have to recapture it?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 12:30:32 PM   
PaxMondo

India has a lot of HI and resources. You seem to capture a lot of fuel when you take India.

Pax

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 10
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 4:15:29 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

Abonniert. Ich will hier aber Action sehen und keinen Sitzkrieg ! Ich schlage konsequente Carrier-Raids zwischen PH und SF vor. Die bringen jeden Allied-Player an den Rand der Verzweiflung. U-Boote mit Glens lokalisieren die dicksten Pötte/Convoys und los gehts. Daher ist zB Midway wichtig. Gerade bis 8/42 kann man den allied player damit wahnsinnig machen insbes. wenn damit auch Einheiten auf den Grund gesendet werden. Ich habe die Erfahrung gemacht, dass es Jap Spieler gibt die das aggressiv machen (Xargun z.B.) und es welche gibt in deren AAR man es garnicht liest. Ich bevorzuge die Xargun-methode :-)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 6:09:09 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

India has a lot of HI and resources. You seem to capture a lot of fuel when you take India.

I know it has HI and resources. I´m pretty sure I have all the resources I´ll need, and pretty much all the HI I can support.

Capturing fuel is nice, but how long will it last? India can support 405 HI with its only oil and refineries, so there´ll be 1000 or so HI using up captured fuel at 2000 tons per day. Australia has 45 HI it can support with fuel production, and another 1000+ it cannot support. I´ll have a hard enough time building up fuel stockpiles in Japan, so I won´t be able to afford diverting much to either place.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 12
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 6:11:38 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

Abonniert. Ich will hier aber Action sehen und keinen Sitzkrieg ! Ich schlage konsequente Carrier-Raids zwischen PH und SF vor. Die bringen jeden Allied-Player an den Rand der Verzweiflung. U-Boote mit Glens lokalisieren die dicksten Pötte/Convoys und los gehts. Daher ist zB Midway wichtig. Gerade bis 8/42 kann man den allied player damit wahnsinnig machen insbes. wenn damit auch Einheiten auf den Grund gesendet werden. Ich habe die Erfahrung gemacht, dass es Jap Spieler gibt die das aggressiv machen (Xargun z.B.) und es welche gibt in deren AAR man es garnicht liest. Ich bevorzuge die Xargun-methode :-)

Jetzt wiederhol das bitte nochmal in Englisch, für den Rest der Leser.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 13
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/24/2011 9:01:30 PM   
Redsunrizing

Good luck Sir, and I am subscribed.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 14
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 11:49:02 AM   
SireChaos

Okay, I got my opponent´s first turn.

The war started on a decidedly inauspicious note, as two Dutch submarines picked off a troop-laden freighter each on the short hop from Indochina to Malaya. One sub attacked on the surface and took a single gun hit in return, but that is not much consolation.

Allied LBA tried without much success (one non-penetrating bomb hit on BB Kongo in return for 6 Vildebeest, 2 Swordfish, 4 Blenheim and 3 Hudson) to attack the invasion forces at Malaya, while Japanese LBA hit ships in port at Hong Kong, Georgetown and Rangoon.

Then, the full might of Kido Butai´s carrier bombers struck... at Manila. For one thing, I thought sinking submarines would be more useful than sinking obsolete battleships; for another, having KB around would nip any attempts at Allied naval resistance in the DEI in the bud.
The results of the raid, even without the Dec 7th Surprise option, are encouraging, I think: 7 submarines, 4 PT-boats, a destroyer and a gunboat are reported sunk, 12 other submarines, 2 sub tenders, AV Langley and 17 other ships are hit at least once, in return for no combat losses at all (2 Val are listed as Ops losses, though) - and KB isn´t done yet.

(in reply to Redsunrizing)
Post #: 15
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 12:26:49 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

Translation from Google translate follows:

Subscribed to. But here I want to see action and not a phoney war! I suggest that consistent carrier raids between PH and SF. The Allied player to bring all to the brink of despair. Glens locate submarines with the thickest pots / convoys and off you go. Therefore, as Midway is important. Straight to 8 / 42 can be allied to the player to make insane especially if it also sent units to the ground. It has been my experience that there are Japanese players that make aggressive (eg Xargun) and there are any in the AAR is not at all read it. I prefer the method Xargun :-)

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 16
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 12:35:57 PM   
CT Grognard

Fast jeder hier spricht ja Deutsch!

(For the benefit of the rest, I'll attempt to translate Oliver Heindorf's post:)

"Subscribed. I want to see action here and no Sitzkrieg (sitting war)! I propose consistent carrier raids between Pearl Harbor and San Francisco. These push every Allied player to the edge of despair. Submarines with Glens locate the fattest targets/convoys and in you go. For this Midway, for example, is important. Up until August 1942 one can drive the Allied player insane with this tactic especially when you manage to send LCU's to the bottom. In my experience there are Japanese players who do this aggressively (e.g. Xargun) and then there are those in whose AAR's you don't see this. I prefer the Xargun method :-)"

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 17
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 12:37:40 PM   
CT Grognard

You're a fellow South African, judging by your e-mail address.

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 18
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 12:41:08 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

That I be sir....

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 19
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/25/2011 1:09:14 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

quote:

I know it has HI and resources. I´m pretty sure I have all the resources I´ll need, and pretty much all the HI I can support.

Capturing fuel is nice, but how long will it last? India can support 405 HI with its only oil and refineries, so there´ll be 1000 or so HI using up captured fuel at 2000 tons per day. Australia has 45 HI it can support with fuel production, and another 1000+ it cannot support. I´ll have a hard enough time building up fuel stockpiles in Japan, so I won´t be able to afford diverting much to either place.

True, but HI can be banked unlike fuel or supply. Can't ever be bombed. As IJ, you hoard fuel only because of its ability to convert to HI. So, if you can find a way to build/acquire more HI without having to spend supply (HI factory expansion), I would think that a good strategy. As observed in other AAR's, it looks like you can capture the equivalent of an additional 500K HI (at least) by taking India. If you can take Karachi .. a lot more. That's a lot of HI Just my thoughts, maybe others will offer theirs as well.

Good Luck and BANZAI!!

Pax

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 20
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/27/2011 11:34:27 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

quote:

True, but HI can be banked unlike fuel or supply. Can't ever be bombed. As IJ, you hoard fuel only because of its ability to convert to HI. So, if you can find a way to build/acquire more HI without having to spend supply (HI factory expansion), I would think that a good strategy. As observed in other AAR's, it looks like you can capture the equivalent of an additional 500K HI (at least) by taking India. If you can take Karachi .. a lot more. That's a lot of HI Just my thoughts, maybe others will offer theirs as well.

Good Luck and BANZAI!!

Good points.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 21
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/27/2011 11:49:17 AM   
SireChaos

Something else I forgot to mention...

Thanks to, by and large, a lack of warp movement due to surprise being off, none of the invasion forces other than Khota Baru and Batan Island are in sight of their objectives yet. This leaves my opponent still guessing which targets I will hit.
The two destroyers that were by default supposed to bombard Midway are sent to bombard Wake Island instead, in the hope that this will make him believe I will invade there soon. Not that I plan to capitalize on any decision he makes based on that false conclusion - I just like to keep my opponent guessing.

KB was 200 miles west of Manila on turn 1; they are now moving south and then west around Borneo in order to raid Java before returning to Cam Ranh Bay to refuel. They will stay close enough to raid Manila again on turn 2, though. CVL Zuiho is moving around the southern end of the Phillipines meanwhile. Hopefully, the lull will fool my opponent into sending some of his surviving surface ships south, where they will be attacking by Zuiho´s bombers. Should he be foolish enough to send them out on turn 2, they will spend the day a few hexes at most from KB, and all my bomber squadrons have Naval Attack as a primary mission, with Port Attack against Manila only as secondary.
A submarine on a minelaying mission has spotted a TF containing at least one battleship due south of Singapore; that pretty much has to be Task Force Z being relocated to Java - with any luck KB will find them there.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 22
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/28/2011 8:54:12 PM   
SireChaos

December 8th, 1941

Over the last two days, the Allies have been sending bombers to any port in their range that isn´t a staging point for my invasions; so far, only an ACM in Shanghai has been sunk, but two other ACM, three xAK, an xAP and an APD have been damaged, and I think one of the ACM will sink, more likely than not.

On the other hand, whereas on the previous turn KB sank 13 ships, this turn another 25 Allied ships sank at the Phillipines. No less than 7 submarines are reported sunk at sea, but in the same hex as Manila, for a total of 14 sunk, 5 damaged, leaving (IIRC) 6-8 USN intact subs in the DEI; also, two Dutch subs are reported hit by Ki-21 bombers off Saigon, for whatever that may be worth.

Current kill tally in the Phillipines is:
14 SS (plus 5 damaged)
4 AM
2 AS (the third has taken several bombs)
3 DD
2 PG
4 PT
2 AO
1 TK (plus 1 damaged)
1 xAK (plus at least 6 damaged)
4 xAKL
2 damaged xAP
1 damaged AVD

The dead subs and sub tenders are the best part of this; now if I can get the two Dutch sub tenders as well, my opponent will have some trouble operating subs close to the area of operations.

In other news, Japanese troops have landed at Makin and, encountering no resistance, have taken control of the island. The forces bound for Miri, Aparri, Vigan and Tarawa are each less than a day from their destination.

The landings in Malaya are proceeding without interruption; taking advantage of the spanner that KB can throw into any Allied naval defensive effort, I have decided to move some plans forward. The invasion forces bound for Singkawang, Lingayan and Palembang have begun boarding their transports.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 23
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 11/29/2011 11:52:45 AM   
SireChaos

December 9th, 1941

My opponent is a sneaky, sneaky bastard.

He sent the three destroyer that start out in Hong Kong to attack my transport TF as Samah while they load invasion forces. One APD, 2 xAK and 1 xAKL are sunk, and around 20 other ships are hit, with no damage at all to the British destroyers!
He is also hitting the Vigan and Aparri invasion forces with PBYs; they scored about 10 hits so far, all of them duds; my opponent must be chewing his mouse cable in frustration by now.

Dutch submarines sink an xAK and a fleet oiler off Cam Ranh Bay; there´s only two of them, and my aircraft have reported three hits against them since war started, but they´re making their presence felt. I´ve moved more bombers for ASW into the area, and as soon as the ships escorting the Malaya invasion force are back, I´ll try hunt these subs down with ASW surface forces.
In other news, the badly damage ACM out of Shanghai sank; I am taking measures to secure the port before moving ships for resource convoys there.

I-121 put two torpedoes into a Dutch xAP off Batavia after laying mines there; another destroyer is reported sunk in the Phillipines, but that one had been reported sunk the day before already... Warships escorting the Vigan invasion force sink two PT-boats for no damage suffered, and KB and CVL Ryujo sink 3 xAP and 5 xAKL as well. Around ten ships are still reported to be in Manila.

The Miri invasion force didn´t move as quickly as I thought it would; however, unopposed landings took place as Vigan, Aparri and Tarawa, and Tarawa is now ours. Khota Bharu also changed hands with heavily Allied losses.
The invasion of Palembang will be delayed after the action off Samah; all the troops are embarked, but I´d rather not send them to their destination in a TF of damaged and poorly escorted (a single TB) transports. The TF (and a second one transporting troops for Malaya move to Cam Ranh Bay to unload, where a new and properly escorted invasion TF will be organized.

< Message edited by SireChaos -- 11/29/2011 11:53:45 AM >

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 24
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 12/1/2011 12:56:40 PM   
SireChaos

December 10th-12th, 1941

My opponent remains devious and hard to catch.

On the 10th, the PBY squadrons at (presumably) Clark Field seem to have finally found a supply of working torpedoes; they hit an invasion force bound for Lingayen hard enough to make it turn back and inflict serious losses to two of the major LCUs intended to fight on Luzon - the 65th Brigade and 2nd Tank Regiment.
On the 11th, the same PBY hit a troop convoy going from Japan to Indochina and badly damaged an xAK carrying part of an airborne unit.
Over the course of these days, my opponent lost about a dozen PBY to fighters, flak and ops losses. Curiously enough, my invasion force landing at Legaspi remains unattacked so far, perhaps because I have set the F1M of its two seaplane tenders to CAP duty. I am beginning to appreciate that nimble little seaplane.

Also on the 10th, heavy cruisers Louisville and Pensacola hit Tarawa and wiped out the ships that had just finished unloading troops there - a PB, an xAK, 4 xAKL

By now, Japanese troops have taken Legaspi, Tulagi, Manus, Kavieng and Miri; they reached Hong Kong but haven´t taken it yet. Most importantly, and triggering the first Orphan Anne broadcast of the war, Guam has fallen.
KB is off Soerabaya on the 12th; they wiped out a task force of mainly Dutch auxiliaries (a minelayer, a patrol craft, a small oiler, four AMc, an AG, a AVP, and a big British tanker), and hit numerous ships in port at Soerabaya. One of the ships hit was CL Mauritius, five bomb hits, two of them 800 kg, so I have high hopes of having sunk it. Unfortunately, PoW and Repulse are nowhere to be seen; the destroyers Jupiter, Isis and Stronghold were there, on other hand hand, and got hit. Oh well... tomorrow, Batavia.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 25
RE: Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Champi... - 12/1/2011 10:11:24 PM   
SireChaos

December 13th, 1941

A fairly uneventful term.

The British garrison in Hong Kong holds, adjusted AV 345 to 205 - equal losses on both sides, but their losses were mostly destroyed devices, mine where the disabled.

KB strikes Batavia, sinks a HDML and an AMc and damages about 20 other ships, mostly freighters and two minelayers. KB will now return to Cam Ranh Bay to refuel and rearm.

Japanese midget subs attempt to enter San Francisco harbour, hitting a destroyer tender and a tanker; four midget subs are lost, one returns to its carrier.

14 F1M2 from the seaplane tender manage to beat back two separate strikes from 3 B-17D and 12 PBY; no kills, but no losses, either, and both attacks are aborted!

Japanese troops land at Dadjangas on Davao.

Belatedly, and escorted by Mini-KB and a cruiser/destroyer force, the invasion force for Palembang has gotten underway.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Blinded by the Rising Sun - SireChaos (J) vs Championzhao (A) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI